Fuel Pump issue / question

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I hooked up the fuel-in and fuel-out hoses backwards on my 60 hp Johnson, primed the bulb real hard on several attempts, would this blow the internals on a new fuel pump ?? ( just removed old VRO )

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Pump issue / question

Unlikely. When you pressurize (squeeze) the hose bulb, the inlet ball valve is closing off the pump side, and is (high) pressurizing the hose end going back to the tank. When you release your grip, the inlet ball opens and the bulb returns to it's normal shape gradually-due to the bulb returning to it's normal size/shape-with only slight suction.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If I hooked up the fuel-in and fuel-out hoses backwards on my 60 hp Johnson, primed the bulb real hard on several attempts, would this blow the internals on a new fuel pump ?? ( just removed old VRO )

If it still works properly when hooked up correctly then no. If it does not work then yes.
That was an easy one !!!

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when I got the hoses on the corrent nipples and pumped the primer bulb, fuel came flooding from somewhere out of the back of the pump. The engine started and ran okay, but fuel was pouring out of the back of the pump and i had to shut her down - any suggestions on what went wrong ??

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

when I got the hoses on the corrent nipples and pumped the primer bulb, fuel came flooding from somewhere out of the back of the pump. The engine started and ran okay, but fuel was pouring out of the back of the pump and i had to shut her down - any suggestions on what went wrong ??

Stick with one of your threads on the same subject. Sounds like you blew a seal or gasket somewhere. Either re-build your "new pump" or go get another one.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Is the pump actually leaking or a hose/clamp connection?

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fuel Pump issue / - POSSIBLY SOLVED

found a loose connection on hose feeding upper carb, appears that was the only fuel leak, engine now idles well on muffs, will take to river later today and see if she'll get up to speed with no further fuel starving issues. SIDE NOTE: engine started much quicker from stone cold this morning in driveway, I'm hoping that's a good sign for this new fuel pump ( I cut-out a flat piece of roof flashing to span the old VROmounting bracket and mounted the new fuel pump flat to that with s/s bolts -real neat fit )

Last edited:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

found a loose connection on hose feeding upper carb, appears that was the only fuel leak, engine now idles well on muffs, will take to river later today and see if she'll get up to speed with no further fuel starving issues. SIDE NOTE: engine started much quicker from stone cold this morning in driveway, I'm hoping that's a good sign for this new fuel pump ( I cut-out a flat piece of roof flashing to span the old VROmounting bracket and mounted the new fuel pump flat to that with s/s bolts -real neat fit )

How about a photo ??

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PROBLEM SOLVED - engine runs great on this new "basic" fuel pump, the engine even starts more quickly when stone cold. I cant believe the difference. This engine has evidently been fuel starved ever since I got it new in 2001. Are the VRO units really that bad ??

I will try to post a picture of the install in the next few days. It would be a good pattern for others to use.