Rubber Frog????

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Rubber Frog????

I wonder if people that don't live in michigan or indiana like frog top-water baits...this thread has been dominated by folks from this area:D

Thanks for the tips on the braided line...I need to pick some up from bass pro.

The stretch is a big factor that I was not considering, even though I've been catching 10-20 various species of fish every time out there are always big ones that get away.

CanWoodsman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like the black with yellow skirt scumfrog. I have found best results at dawn and dusk.

gonefishie

Commander

I wonder if people that don't live in michigan or indiana like frog top-water baits...this thread has been dominated by folks from this area:D

That's because I think the majority of folks here are non-fisherman or non-bass fisherman. Frog lure is universal, works anywhere in the country. Any self respecting bass fisherman should have at least one. If you don't, you are REALLY missing out. It had been used to win tournaments from a couple hundred bucks to a million dollars.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's because I think the majority of folks here are non-fisherman or non-bass fisherman. Frog lure is universal, works anywhere in the country. Any self respecting bass fisherman should have at least one. If you don't, you are REALLY missing out. It had been used to win tournaments from a couple hundred bucks to a million dollars.

Non-fisherman fisherman from Michigan here. Definitely going to pick up some frog lures, and that braided line is a great tip too. Thanks Starcraft Tony!

So what exactly is the technique to using them-- cast out onto a lily pad, then jerk/reel in the line just enough to cause the 'frog' to look like it's 'hopping' from pad to pad...is that about it, or is there more to it?

tmfd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is about it, make it look like a real frog just out among the pads/weeds. But hey, I've had 'em hammer it when I was just reeling it back in across the top of the pads at a good clip, wasnt expecting that! Often when you get the frog to the outer edge of the pads you want to swim it out a bit, like a frog who "accidently" swam out into open water. Depends on how you position your boat, right up to the edge to better pinpoint holes in the pads, or out a ways, so you can fish it out to open water.

filipinokid28

Recruit

Ive been using frogs since mid summer and have had nothing but success with them. Ive used frogs that are from some of the best companies out there. Stanley Ribbit Frog, Strike Kings Rage Toad, Yum Buzz frog, Scum frog, Spor, and River2Sea. All have Produced in certain areas i use more of the plastic baits in the pads using a slow retrieve and the Hard body frogs on slop and open water near lay downs. Frogs have now been my go lure with 65lb power pro line helps me hall the fish out of the cover since im only using a 6' 6" M/H pole

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You mean one that is shaped like a baby duck? I didn't know they make those.

I beleve the baby ducks are discontinued .. dont know why since they are soooo effecient for pike and musky ...

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

hello huron angler, how do i post a bigger pic?

Big Ed

Recruit

I live up in the Northeast and have been using Rubber Frogs for 10 years love that heart pounding strike in the pads or slop. Went and bought some minnows the other day $ 8.50 a dozen that was heart pounding also what are you paying up your way???
Ed

Huron Angler

Admiral

hello huron angler, how do i post a bigger pic?

Open a free account at photobucket, flickr or another image hosting website, upload photos from your computer, resize to medium or large size so they fit on here without having to scroll left to right.

Then copy and paste the "image location" html code and paste it into the box you type into. It will look like this www.yourphotos.com[IMG]

There are other threads on here explaining this also if this doesn't make sense.:)

T Wardy

Cadet

I have been using weedless frogs for 20 years or more! When I head to minnesota in june almost every afternoon I hit the pads with a bright green one and I can catch anywhere from 5 to 20 in 2 hours, lol. Couple things I have learned over the years to get them in (i used to lose at least half of the fish I hooked - now maybe 1 or 2 out of 10):

- AT leat a 6'6" rod in heavy action
- Good Baitcaster strung up with braid or in my case I like fireline.
- After the fish hits count "one-one thousand" and set the hook HARD.

I have more fun doing this than trolling all day for 3 walleye, lol:D

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had success with the Yum and the Berkley frog in the past. Will be experimenting with the Slimers frog in the spring. Hooked to a floating jig it looks alive on top of the water ... cant wait.

Marchosia

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I live down here in the south.. in Alabama and i love using top water frogs.. It always amazes me when bass just appear from no where an blow it up on top of the water..

j_martin

Admiral

I pour my own plastic baits. Sweet beavers Texas rigged without a weight work just like a frog in the pads. If the fish don't want to rise, you can weight it and work it down into the holes.

Heart stoppers are when you see the pads moving like it's windy 10 feet from your bait, going toward the bait.

Another is when they miss it coming out of the lake, and manage to get it on the way back in.

Lotsa fun.
John

Attachments

• Beaver Green Pumpkin Flash.jpeg
    Beaver Green Pumpkin Flash.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0

Marchosia

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I pour my own plastic baits. Sweet beavers Texas rigged without a weight work just like a frog in the pads. If the fish don't want to rise, you can weight it and work it down into the holes.

Heart stoppers are when you see the pads moving like it's windy 10 feet from your bait, going toward the bait.

Another is when they miss it coming out of the lake, and manage to get it on the way back in.

Lotsa fun.
John

I also use the sweet beavers, but I have never tried them without a weight, ive always used a weight with them.. Unfortunatley the local tackle shop I would get the Reaction Innovation sweet beavers from stopped carrying them :(. The only other place I have seen them at around here they have them but in a two tone color, different color on top an bottom.. Witch i have tried an have no luck with so far..

Chuck7

Seaman Apprentice

I'm hooked as well...I did very good last year using the Horny Toad in bull frog color..I love thar lure..especialliy in pads and hydrilla flats.Decent sized fish as well.
C7

Bob1958

Seaman Apprentice

Why limit yourself with only the frog? I carry the white mouse, grey mouse, yellow duck, and what I believe is supposed to be a small Baltimore Oriole. Before you guys laugh too hard, the duck is missing an eye from getting struck by pike.
I'm not laughing. Bass of all kinds are pretty much all incredibly stupid and will hit almost anything that moves and/or makes noise. Trout are on the other end of the IQ scale, and will usually only eat what they're looking for in the right size and color, and even then it has to be presented the way they want it.

My goal this winter is to catch my first Lake Trout through the ice. Maybe I should try a rubber frog?

gonefishie

Commander

I'm not laughing. Bass of all kinds are pretty much all incredibly stupid and will hit almost anything that moves and/or makes noise. Trout are on the other end of the IQ scale, and will usually only eat what they're looking for in the right size and color, and even then it has to be presented the way they want it.

My goal this winter is to catch my first Lake Trout through the ice. Maybe I should try a rubber frog?

Fish a few tournaments next year and see if you still have the same opinion about bass.

Chuck7

Seaman Apprentice

I've been bass fishing for over 45 years..What makes the Horny Toad my favorite topwater lure is that it's practically weeddless. It is the only kure I can fish in some areas where I fish..During the spring it is deadly.

And bss being stupid LOL quite the opposite. Fish at a highly pressured lake and see how easy it is to get a limit.

DKennimer

Seaman

Us Texas boys like the frogs too! The Scum frogs are my favorite! I have the SPro frogs and the Yum frogs too, but the Scum seem to work best for me... all a preference... just make sure to wait 2 seconds before you set the hook! Have a ball and hang on!