You would think....

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class
...that someone who has spent every evening on iBoats since April after he bought his first boat would know better??

To set the stage, my crazy antics during the 09 summer boating season include:

• I forgot my plug after launch, boat filled 3' before catching the problem;
  • tweaked three props hitting rocks or stumps;
  • left master power switch on, killed battery. It cause me to....;
  • ran the boat off muffs after jumping the battery, then trailering it (while running) to the ramp;
  • coldnt start boat after lauch, come to find out lanyard pulled on deadman switch;

Those, and a ton of other "duh" moments, enough to make a seasoned cap'n snicker.

Well, today, my newest adventure was that I left the plug in. Worse part is was that I actually suspected my plug was in, and I didnt do anything, like check on it.

We have broke state records this year on lack of rain. The lake was almost 10' off normal levels and we had over 60 days of 100-degree days this summer. We have had less than .1" of rain the last 90 days. But this weekend, my plug was stuck in the hull by 9/32" of a thread.

We had over a foot of rain in under 24 hours and I saw the boat was sinking in the back yard. Went out to restage the tongue stand on a brick and decided to check the plug, I thought it may have not been all the way out. Well.....it wasnt.

The boat was way full up with rain water, I couldnt believe I allowed this to happen. Up until today I could not understand why people over and over again told me the two happiest days of my life would be getting my boat, and getting rid of my boat. Today I finally understood what they meant.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: You would think....

not to be mean, but dont you cover it? 50 buck walmart covers are waterproof, and thats a fairly expensive boat. i ALWAYS leave the plug out. take it out at the ramp and it goes in the door of the truck.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If everyone listed all there bone head moments from the year this would be the longest thread in history.

I have had my boat for awile so I don't screw up too much anymore but I have had my share in the past.

I keep mine in the garage so the plug never comes out but I have pulled it out of the water while the engine was was running, get to the launch and it won't start only to find I put the gas is in the boat but never plugged the hose in, put up a post once cause it woudln't start after shorting across the selonoid, turns out it was in gear,DUH.

So you are not in any exclusive club every one screws up, if you don't break anything and the boat still floats it is a good day, pride is cheaper than any boat part.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That stuff doesn't sound too bad:

"* I forgot my plug after launch, boat filled 3' before catching the problem;"
I've heard a saying on this forum: "there's 3 types of boaters, the ones who've forgotten the plug, the ones who will forget the plug, and the liars who say they haven't". so far I'm in category 2 :)

"* tweaked three props hitting rocks or stumps;"
eh, happens to everybody. 3 props is unfortunate.

"* left master power switch on, killed battery. "
been there, done that.

It cause me to....;
"* ran the boat off muffs after jumping the battery, then trailering it (while running) to the ramp;"
OK, those two qualify for SHTs :D

* coldnt start boat after lauch, come to find out lanyard pulled on deadman switch;
My old boat doesn't have a deadman switch, but soon after I got my boat last year I took the family out-- anchored, ate a nice picnic lunch on the water, then tried to fire it up-- nothing. I went over all the cabling from the battery to the control box while my wife is getting ready to wave down someone for a tow. Finally I realize I had left it in gear when I turned the motor off :redface:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

This is the prize winner:
"... then trailering it (while running) to the ramp;"

Why didn't the motor burn out? Or do you have an extraordinarily long hose?

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

not to be mean, but dont you cover it? 50 buck walmart covers are waterproof, and thats a fairly expensive boat. i ALWAYS leave the plug out. take it out at the ramp and it goes in the door of the truck.

I have a bikini cover, and yes, it was on at the time. We had an extra ordinary rain deluge, made national news for the flooding we had. Bad timing, but typical my luck....if I am gonna leave a plug in its going to be at the exact time we get over a foot of rain in 24-hours.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the prize winner:
"... then trailering it (while running) to the ramp;"

Why didn't the motor burn out? Or do you have an extraordinarily long hose?

I was only at the top of the boat ramp where everyone parks their trailers, so it wasnt like I brought it from home running.

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been there, done that as well. I left the plug out of mine, was circling around waiting on my friend to park the truck when I noticed the water. My friend is a seasoned boater so when I took off wide open across the lake he knew instantly what I'd done. I tried to get out of site before I dove in to install the plug, but when I picked him up soaking wet there wasn't much chance of denying what I'd done, :D

One time when I was loading mine I pulled it onto the wrong trailer. I had tied off, gone and pulled the truck down. While I was making a small loop to get lined up another truck identical in color and make to mine backed in also. As I was coming in this guy was trying to wave me off which I couldn't figure out as I was lined up perfectly. Once I killed the engine I went to thank him for helping me, but asked why he tried to wave me off. Thats when he pointed to my truck next to his and laughed.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

One time when I was loading mine I pulled it onto the wrong trailer. I had tied off, gone and pulled the truck down. While I was making a small loop to get lined up another truck identical in color and make to mine backed in also. As I was coming in this guy was trying to wave me off which I couldn't figure out as I was lined up perfectly. Once I killed the engine I went to thank him for helping me, but asked why he tried to wave me off. Thats when he pointed to my truck next to his and laughed.

Is there some sort of trophy we can award?

Cuz I think we found ourselves a winner here guys. :p

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there some sort of trophy we can award?

Cuz I think we found ourselves a winner here guys. :p

It was pretty embarrassing, but the guy was super nice about it, and the Ford Motor Company did make a kajillion gold extended cab pick ups between 97 and whenever they changed the body style, :D

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

That just made me burst out laughing in my cube to myself... My coworkers probably think im crazy...

204 Escape

Ensign

I've told this story before, BUT, we backed our trailer into the water, and this drunk loaded his boat up on my trailer. SO, I pulled him out, and took him over to where they test engines, by the dealership. There is only one way out, and that is to walk quite a ways to get your trailer/tow vehicle, and pull it out.

The boat ramp crowd had a big laugh :D, at that guy's expense !!!!!!!!