89 Johnson 40 hp Solenoid

JKSander

Cadet
I am have a problem with starting my boat. The solenoid went bad, replaced the solenoid and the boat would start and run fine for short trips. Ran the motor on a long trip (1-3) hours when the boat was turned off the boat would not start. Tested the solenoid with a test light, (yellow wire with red strip or small post next to the large positive post, battery side) (test light to ground), turn switch to start and light comes on. Ran a jumper wire from the large positive post (battery) to the large post going to the starter and the starter will engage to start the motor. Took the solenoid off had a marine dealer test solenoid and was told that they could get nothing. Relpaced the solenoid with a new solenoid made a few short trips and the boat ran fine. Went for a long trip and after turning the boat off the boat would not start. Did the same test and the solenoid tested as bad. My question is what could be causing my electrical system to fry my solenoid?

Thanks for any help,
Kyle

PS. After reading other previous threads please note that when I turn the key to start I hear nothing, no click, nothing at all.

Last edited:

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89 Johnson 40 hp Solenoid

when your ignition turns on to start the engine your solenoid might be staying on constantly burning it out? its a possibility

JKSander

Cadet

I checked for that with a test light. When you let the switch go back to run the light goes off.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Check your battery cables at both ends very carefully. They must be clean and tight. Look for signs of corrosion at the base of the lugs as they can corrode inside where you can't see it. Any of those things causes increased resistance which causes increased amperage which can burn the contacts inside the solenoid. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you can isolate the problem.