Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

I am slightly inebriated and read your last post too quick and thought you said, "Kill zombies" I got super excited and was gunna see if you needed help.

All joking aside I forgot about your thread, It looks great! Keep it up...

ROFLMAO Wow you must be watching to much Supernatural these days. But if that was the case Sure why not the more help the better LOL

Thanks for the complement, this week has been a very slow go, I have wound up replacing so much rotted wood. Its just been setback after setback

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yup, every time we work on the boat we find something new thats broken and needs to be fixed. I'm still having a tough time finding a job so money is whats holding us back. Monster, career builder and craigslist and caljobs have a bunch of 10-11 dollar an hour jobs and I can't support myself on that haha.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bill, that boat is looking good. You're doing a nice job with it, its going to be a solid performer when you're done. I noticed a few different measurements from side to side on my boat also. Nothing radical, but surprising. Where do you boat out on the Island? I used to run out of East Moriches. Kept boat at Harts Cove Marina. Mike

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey thrillhouse- I know the feeling, I'm running a buisness and its doom and gloom at every turn . Keep your chin up things have to get better, at least thats what I keep telling myself.

Hi Mike,
I actually haven't gotten it in the water yet out here. It used to be docked in Queens at the Marina where my in-laws worked.
I'm on the North Shore, about 5 min from Nissequogue & St James. I have just started to look at where to dock next year. I really don't wan't to be trailering.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Well it turned out to be a pretty productive day even with working by myself.
I managed to get all my flotation foam in with one little area that came up lite in the bait well. The 1st layer of rear deck and 1/2 of the second layer made and dry fitted both.

Waiting for the Bread to rise
100_8252.jpg

1st layer of deck pre fitted :D
100_8254.jpg

front half of 2nd layer pre fitted Note Starboard side bait well light on foam, will correct after
100_8258.jpg

I did want to have the deck glassed in today, thinking about postponing my trip to get it done.
Still have to cut plywood for rest of 2nd layer, than go over all edges with router to round off hatch openings.

Im thinking another 4-6 hrs and I could have the deck 100% less paint

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looking good Bill . I am waiting patiently for Atlanta to quit sending me rain so I can get the Gluvit in the bottom of my Tincan and start putting the foam and deck back in .

Rick

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Looking good Bill . I am waiting patiently for Atlanta to quit sending me rain so I can get the Gluvit in the bottom of my Tincan and start putting the foam and deck back in .

Rick

Thanks Rick,
Hopfully it will stop soon,it can't rain forever. Altlanta, that brings back good memories, last time I was in GA it was the 90's, and Savanna. My step-son from wife #2 was a riverboat capt. back then

I can't believe how long it took me with foaming, it was like 5hrs, I was mult-tasking though. I did it in layers not to over-foam (I Still Did Ooops).

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Well its been an upsetting un-productive day :( . this is all I got accomplished, ground down old fiberglass and some new, then prefitted it all, and fabricated the back half of the deck,

100_8267.jpg

Guess tommorow I glass it in, for I ran out of time today.

So much for 4-6 hrs left till deck is complete :(

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Bill boat repair is just like HVAC estimating figure out how long you think it will take and double it for all the crap you couldnt see before you took it apart :D.

Rick

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are flying on this boat and its looking good. I guess I should have stayed outside and worked for another hour. Keep it up

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dude friggin zombies messed up my primer job!!! That deck thing looks great btw. Im itching to get back to mine. Want painting to be over, I hate it so much. The fiberglass itch is fun compared to sanding.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Rick- I know what you mean, I can think a job through alot faster than actually doing it, "but it only took me an hour to do the work in my head start to finish" Lol
Has Atlanta stopped sending you rain?

83Vert- Thanks, its the O.C.D. in me, I tend to get verry obsessed.
I looked at your project, your moving pretty fast yourself your project looks great.

Thrillhouse- I saw, that sucked, but at least you have it all sanded down now.
It does have me wondering how the toughness of the dupont compares to the interlux primmer. Im looking to use whatever is the toughest.

Ahh the fiberglass itch, I am not enjoying that. Like a jerk, I had my mototcycle jacket hung on my forklift in the shop, then rode home last night, :eek: the sanding dust got into the sleeves my arms are still on fire

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

There is a God, I finally got the deck glassed in :D

Precut Mat after 1st layer of 1/2" glassed down
100_8269.jpg

Glassing over 2nd layer od 1/2" acx Just 3 more layers and I'm Done with the deck :D
Note: White areas are not air bubbles, its doubled up mat

100_8276.jpg

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Just thinking,
How many layers of csm and resin do I need on the top of the deck?

This is what I have done so far:
1) Glassed the bottom side of the 1st peice of 1/2" acx
2) Applied thickened epoxy to deck framming using West system + 404 thickining powder
3) Screwed deck to framming, let cure then removed screws
4) Heated wood and rolled resin on bottom side of 2nd layer of deck
5) poured and rolled resin on intermidiate layer of csm
6) screwed down 2nd layer of deck
7) applied another layer of csm on top of deck and 3" up sides all around
8) about to apply another layer of csm 2" up the sides and on top of entire deck

Anybody know if this will be enough or should I put on the 3rd layer and run it 1" up the sides?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Second Layer of csm in

100_8277.jpg

Anybody have any ideas , do you think I need another layer of csm????

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Lookin good Bill

you're planning on a fiberglass deck gel coated white /deck coated with grip additives .... right?
a "Wet Deck" with sea drains and all?

if so maybye... one more coat wouldnt kill anyone...cept a few zombies.......but 2 is sufficient in my book.......pretty sturdy deck ya got going....maybye park the forklift on it...no problem! lol Im sure it would hold up great

Keep on Rockin! :D
speakin of rocking check out this tune Overkill Bill! by Huff and Doeback (Stepbrothers movie)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Lookin good Bill

you're planning on a fiberglass deck gel coated white /deck coated with grip additives .... right?
a "Wet Deck" with sea drains and all?

if so maybye... one more coat wouldnt kill anyone...cept a few zombies.......but 2 is sufficient in my book.......pretty sturdy deck ya got going....maybye park the forklift on it...no problem! lol Im sure it would hold up great

Keep on Rockin! :D
speakin of rocking check out this tune Overkill Bill! by Huff and Doeback (Stepbrothers movie)

Hi Vegas,
Thanks for responding, I am not sure on the gel coat, I was thiking of just primming and using interlux interdeck, would I be better off with gel coat?

I came in this morning and got pretty upset when I looked at how the deck came out around the hatch area, it didn't look clean I wound up grinding out the epoxy and glass in those areas, I looked at Oops rebuild and seen he used 1708 on the hard corners, I cut strips to go around the hatch areas and am now re-glassing them in.

Yes it is a wet deck, I made throughts to run the water into the bilge area from under the splash well.

I was thinking of going with 1 more layer of 1708 and run it up the sides. That won't be till tomorrow though what do you think?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

PS-Vegas I will check out the song when I get home, I dont have speakers on my computers here at the shop

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Well I got the hatch areas re-glassed in with some 1708, I am now ok with the edges

Prefitting 1708 for the fuel tank hatch

IMG00105.jpg

Fitting 1708 for the bilge hatch

IMG00107.jpg

Both Hatchways glassed in with 1708 Finally clean corners :D
IMG00114.jpg

I added a bulkhead between the fuel tank and bilge area, that will be getting glassed in tomorrow.
Thanks to VeroWing and Vegas for their input on that:)

I am going to be incorporporating the 1" drain tube that you showed me that you did on your Newman project.

I just want to say I could have never have gotten this far without the input from all you great I Boat folks. I can't thank you enough

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Bill and thanks

thats alot of hatches! :eek: some Z channel aluminum would finish those off nice

either way ..as long as each area has a drain you should be good to go!!

yeah...I hear ya.... its alot of work to make a clean edge with the fiberglass....that finer mesh ought to make it much better......grinder off any sharp edges and brush on a little resin....should be slick when your done

On our Newman project we opted to perma install the fuel cell....enclosed it in pretty much 90% then made a small hatch for the access to the fuel fitting / sender etc....less water intrusion that way....

as far as Gelcoating vs that paint you mentioned....Im not sure...I figure gelcoat is super duty stuff...so it's best? thats what the manufactures probably use in those offshore boats...with the washout decks.....

It would be kinda neat if you do do drainages into the bilge, for the deck,...if you slighty incline the port and starboard decking.....so it drains towards the bilge..near the back o fthe boat areas next to eng compartment...

the deck will automatically drain / tilt back even if the floor is level as boats tend to normally float, at rest bow up....but left and right tilt might pool up...so tilt slighty? when you rinse off deck while on trailer it would drain real nice into that bilge....CLEAN DECK no more worm guts! lol :D

an automatic bilge would be nice too if you have the budget for it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.