NOOB...Looking To Buy....Need Advice

nohassle5

Recruit
Hey All. I've been lurking for a while, and now I need a bit of advice on our first family boat purchase. We've been considering late 90's Sea Doo Speedsters just to get out on the lake and get familiar with the environment. Family consists of the wife, and our 3 yr. old son. We live across the street from the lake, but I spend a lot of time away from home during the summer. So, I need something easy for the wife to handle while I'm away from home. We've also considered waiting to purchase a 17' or 18' runabout that is a bit more conventional, but this will have to wait until next season. Should we wait, or go buy and get out on the water while there is still time?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: NOOB...Looking To Buy....Need Advice

Well it up to you what you think is best, If you want to buy it to run around and have fun this season, Well you can always sell it next spring or winter for what you paid for it and go buy one that you both can trial run and see if its for you(she can handle). Welcome to Iboats, Always glad to have New members!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

usually those small jet boats have a pretty low freeboard. I'd be worried about the 3 year old in that.

nohassle5

Recruit

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Understood on the low freeboard.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd recommend to be patient and wait until you find a good deal on a I/O or outboard. Think safety for your first boat.

ziggy

Admiral

cute boats, but i'd wait. my only reason would be i don't think 2 stroke jetski engines are designed to operate much more than a couple hundred hours (+ or -)before needing a rebuild. you'll be working on it instead of enjoying it... just imho..

nohassle5

Recruit

This will be our 1st family boat. The wife & I both grew up with boats. I owned a couple of Sea Doo XPs back in my single days. So, the Sea Doo is not totally foreign to me. We just thought the Sea Doo Boat option would be an inexpensive way to get back into boating. Plus it fits in the garage still leaving room for one vehicle.

The adult "financial guru" inside of me is advising me to wait until the fall, but the impatient kid inside of me says get on the water. Sitting on the deck watching the boats go by is killing me. :confused:

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Life is short, if you find a good deal, jump on it. I always felt that people wanted too much money for those little jet boats, but for ease of use it may be worth it. I think I'd have a heart attack if my wife wanted to take my Moomba out alone with the kids - no frickin way.

My first boat was an older IO and I was pretty happy with it.

Another option is picking up an old 16' with outboard. For the first month of this year my IO was in the shop a lot, and I very nearly bought a cheap older boat with small outboard just to get out on the water.