Ever Get Stuck Doing Those Side Jobs You Don't Wanna Do?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
I know everyone on here has a certain set of, um, "skills" that they can do better than their friends or acquaintances. A couple of mine happen to be wiring, improving cable television signal throughout a house, and building screen rooms (the sides, I don't deal with the roofs). When I was desperate for money, I would take any side job available, no matter how bad it was. Now that things are better financially, I will only take the easy ones. I have always done the work for very cheap, as I know many people are in my situation, and I would rather them be happy with good quality, affordable work, that way word gets around.

About six months ago, my friend asks me if I could help him close in his back patio with a screen room, which only had two sides, one about 10' long and the other about 25' long. I really did not want to do it, but I told him I would, knowing he procrastinates a lot. So he finally calls me two nights ago to go to Home Depot with him and buy all the supplies to do the job. I kept telling him my work would be expensive and not the best quality, as it's been four years since I've done anything like this. I told him he'd be better off hiring a pro. I tried everything I could to turn the job down, but I fell for the guilt trip. So for the last two days, I have been over there helping him build it, and it has not been fun. Other than screening in two panels (he ripped some screen, so we had to wait to buy more), the job is done. I said he could handle the rest.

My whole point is, when people offer side jobs that I don't want to do, I try to give them an astronomical figure to deter them from needing my services. It never seems to work that way, though, as they always beg me to do the job. I try saying no, but the people always insist that I do the work. Maybe I should just play dumb and pretend I don't know how to do it.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ever Get Stuck Doing Those Side Jobs You Don't Wanna Do?

Maybe I should just play dumb and pretend I don't know how to do it.

Too late !!!!You just told the whole world.:)

I know what you mean though.We get invited to cookouts and dinners and I wind up doing most of the meal.

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know where you're coming from. I know a bit about computers. My sister was always asking me to do computer work for her. A few years ago she needed to upgrade her computer and add a backup system. This was the days prior to cheap hard drives. I was in the middle of the upgrade and the hard drive with 3 years of tax returns and legal documents for her law and accounting business decided to crash. This was before the back-up could be done. After the yelling and screaming (it's how my sister communicates) there was a bright side. I am never asked to do her computer work anymore.

On the other hand I am a pretty good carpenter. I built her about 50 feet of shelving racks out of lumber and I charged her $450.00 which went into fixing my car and upgrading my own computer. I don't work as cheaply as I used to.

I have gotten to where I just say sorry, I am too busy with my regular job. I also have an aunt that works for a religious organization that received a donation of a piece of equipment that I work on at my regular job. I got guilt tripped into looking it over when they had a problem. I fixed it but when she called me back a second time I just explained that if anyone were to say something that seemed innocuous to the wrong person (it's a small world) I'd lose my job and unless they were willing to hire me on full time I couldn't do it anymore.

Guilt trips really bite. The only two people I will do absolutely anything for are my buddy that is a mechanic and does a lot of freebies for me and my mom. And she won't let me work for free no matter how hard I try. So for her usually I find a tool I need and when I go and buy the supplies at the hardware store with her credit card I buy a tool.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For building a screen porch the best excuse is "I need to be licensed" and if that does not work "are you going to pull a work permit"in my neck of the woods those are real and if something happens like a collapse and someone gets hurt guess who gets a call.Now I never turn down a job(self employed)but I do know my limits

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

been doing that along time....I found it's best to play dumb...

the thing I always hated is when out being social you get the same thing...meet people and when they find out what you do they always have projects that need done but want them done for free or cheap....

anymore I lie and say something stupid like office mail guy...:)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Costantly !!!!! I am the local weed whacker, lawn mower, lawn tractor, leaf blower, outboard fixer, plumber, electrician etc etc and the list goes on !!!

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

My sister in law who is single and owns a house is always asking me to do stuff around the house for her, the latest is I put crown molding here in my living room, no compound miter saw I coped the corners. I told her it was way to much work and this time I not going to do it. So a few days later she bought a brand new compound miter saw and said if I did the molding the saw was mine......
Her new molding looks great.........

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Costantly !!!!! I am the local weed whacker, lawn mower, lawn tractor, leaf blower, outboard fixer, plumber, electrician etc etc and the list goes on !!!

I resemble that remark . Same for computers .
If anyone I am related to , or , know , has a computer issue , I hear about it very quickly .

Good cash cow if you are in to peanuts , as most of them have no intention of paying actual going rates for the work you are doing , and , I don't bite unless they are immediate family , a close friend , or , an immediate neighbor .
All the rest are quoted a professionals price for the local market , and , end up going elesewhere .

I like helping people , but , knowing how things work and being able to fix things gets to be a liability and life sucker if you let it .

A favor for a friend or a family member is 1 thing .
Working for cheap for a friend of a friend gets old very fast .

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

I claim to not know much about computers. Truth is, I can replace certain parts, and know a thing or two about software issues, but everyone knows I'm the fastest typer around. I went to a job interview and left the keyboard smokin' at 95 WPM accurately (2 small errors in a paragraph's worth of typing). Everytime someone gets a speeding ticket, they bring it to me along with $50, and I do the class online for them. There is nothing educational what-so-ever about the class, just a bunch of bs statistics, but you have to be on the computer for four hours straight. It gets boring, but I will open up another browser and play on iboats.:D I am also the designated resume creator, job applicant for other people (filling in their online applications), enrolling in services / programs for other people, and locating things online for them. Heck, my parents can't even turn a computer on, and they are just getting used to this "digital world," so I have to help them on a daily basis almost. But, they're my parents, and I figure I owe them quite a bit for putting up with my antics for 18 years.:eek:

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I know where you're coming from, I am a jack of all trades.
I work a full time job during the week and try to stay busy doing handyman type stuff on the weekends.
The problem I have is family, my wife has 12 siblings and somebody is always needing something.
It seems that family work is either free or extremely discounted and the wife always seems to "Army Volunteer" me.

Hey my furnace quite working can you come fix it for less than $40.00 right now?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just built my dream house, waterfront on the Nanticoke River, Eastern Shore, Maryland, right at the Chesapeake Bay. No mortgage. Took about 3 years, in my 'spare time,' so I can't hide my skills. I also work full time at a real job, writing computer manuals. (So I get to be the computer tech, too)

Just got a pier, two boat lifts, two boats. I'm ready to boat and relax.

Step daughter bought an 80 year old house, two houses away.

Last month, discovered her floors were all painted with lead paint. Doors and trim too. Women freaked.

So, no boating for me. Installing 2000 feet of new hardwood floors over the lead paint. Plus installing all new interior doors, and all new trim everywhere.

I sometimes wish I were incompetent. Ignorance must be bliss....

Oh, her plumbing sucks too. And the crawlspace is 2' high, at best.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I just built my dream house, waterfront on the Nanticoke River, Eastern Shore, Maryland, right at the Chesapeake Bay. No mortgage. Took about 3 years, in my 'spare time,' so I can't hide my skills. I also work full time at a real job, writing computer manuals. (So I get to be the computer tech, too)

Just got a pier, two boat lifts, two boats. I'm ready to boat and relax.

Step daughter bought an 80 year old house, two houses away.

Last month, discovered her floors were all painted with lead paint. Doors and trim too. Women freaked.

So, no boating for me. Installing 2000 feet of new hardwood floors over the lead paint. Plus installing all new interior doors, and all new trim everywhere.

I sometimes wish I were incompetent. Ignorance must be bliss....

Oh, her plumbing sucks too. And the crawlspace is 2' high, at best.

Sounds like you need to do some negotiating.
If your weekends are currently booked up working on her house, you should at least get a nice steak and beer dinner Sunday night.

Shizzy

Ensign

99% of people dont know what I went to tech school for. once you tell someone you have a 2 year degree in auto body repair, they want their 85 Dodge Omni repainted for $200.

I have gotten to the point where I only help my Father out with projects. he and I can work side by side without a word and get things done since we have done it for a good 25 years now.

most times if its a buddy I just tell them to feed me and have cold beer in the fridge. works out better that way.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

My sister in law who is single ...

Huh???

Oh, I get it. This is your wife's sister. I was thinking your brother's wife.

Don't mind me, I'm tired from all the side jobs....

So a few days later she bought a brand new compound miter saw and said if I did the molding the saw was mine......
Her new molding looks great.........

Yep, that's the one bonus. I got a new framing nailer (to build a 1200' deck at my house where we held her wedding) and maybe this week, a new finish nailer too.

And about ignorance being bliss? Her new husband is friggin' ecstatic.

Jim

BF

Lieutenant

Maybe I should just play dumb and pretend I don't know how to do it.

I'm pretty good at that... but wifey can't hear a problem at a dinner party that she doesn't want me to solve... "He can fix that... you wouldn't mind, would you?" After several post-dinner debriefings, she's getting it..... don't volunteer me to do a job that she herself has now idea of how big it is (days/weeks/months)... how long could it possibly take to rewire a house... or build a garage or whatever.

QC

Supreme Mariner

but wifey can't hear a problem at a dinner party that she doesn't want me to solve... "He can fix that... you wouldn't mind, would you?" After several post-dinner debriefings, she's getting it.....
Ohhhhhhhh, don't get me started . . . plus mine will never "get it" . . . She's the best, but this, and inviting more people to go boating than our boat's capacity, P's me O Grrrrrrrrr!!!