1964 Starcraft Dart needs an engine - what do I buy???

sallycinnamon

Recruit
Hi, everyone! First off, I am so happy to find this site and all the great restoration projects - wow! This summer I picked up a 1964 Starcraft Dart. From what I can tell it's in pretty good shape - so exciting!!! It even has the original seat backs in lovely Seafoamy-blue colour.

The one thing it does NOT have, however, is an engine. So while I have been towed across the lake in it I haven't been able to take it for a spin! Being new to the world of boating, and having had nothing but heartache over another engine on another little boat we bought, I desperately need some advice before I shell out bucks on an engine. Here's what I don't know:

1. Short-shaft or long-shaft?

2. Any one brand stand out from the rest?

3. What hp should I get? I think it's rated for 35hp....does that mean I should not put anything over 35 hp on the boat? When my little guy gets older I guess he'll want to take up some kind of waterskiing/tubing - is 35hp enough power for that?

4. New or used? After so many issues with our other little engine (4hp - must be the smallest engine on the lake) I am tempted to go new. Our cottage is on an island so first and foremost the engine needs to be reliable. But the budget is tight...if I do go used, what things should I be looking out for? Then of course there is the retro look of the boat which I would love to match with a retro-looking motor but that's probably not a practical choice...?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

Oh, and a picture below!

Sarah

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 10

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Starcraft Dart needs an engine - what do I buy???

Very cool old boat! Welcome to iboats. You've definitely come to the right place. We Starcraft owners are taking over the place.

I don't know if you need a short shaft or long shaft but I did find this: http://www.smalloutboards.com/shaft.htm

If the boat is rated for 35HP than that's the max you can put on it. It is said ofter on here that you need at least 70% of the boats rated horsepower for acceptable performance. That would put you around 25HP. I would put a 25-35HP motor on it.

I don't know if you are wealthy but if you're like the rest of us on here you can probably get the idea of a new motor right the heck out of your head. Have you seen what new outboards cost!? A used well maintained Johnson or Evinrude will last darn near forever. I recommend late 70's and newer for the best parts support.

bananaboater

Ensign

Great looking boat. What is its history since it looks original?

Try this site for a 1964 brochure.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=349830

It will have images and details on your boat, size, capacity, engine max, etc. The simplest method to determine the length of motor is to measure the distance from the bottom of the transom (keel) to the top where the motor is mounted. If it is 15 inches it takes a short shaft, if 20 or more a long one. I suspect yours is a short shaft but some Starcraft boats were offered in an option for long or short shaft motors, my '64 Jet for instance.

Welcome to the Starcraft owners group here on Iboats, great bunch of folks.

Albert

sallycinnamon

Recruit

That's great - thank you to you both on the shaft-length issue. I won't be up to the lake until next weekend but will do all the right measurements then.

So yeah, I guess a used motor is definitely a more likely option. Someone told me that as long as the compression is good, everything else can be repaired. Is this true advice?

Wow, those magazine ads are amazing. I had seen the one page with the Dart already but hadn't seen any of the others. Thanks so much for the link!

Sarah

sallycinnamon

Recruit

Oh sorry, forgot the history. I think I am the third owner. I bought it this summer from a guy who had a small collection of boats that he was divesting. He had bought it from a woman who had stored the boat upside down in the yard? barn? since the 70s. The guy I bought it from figured she/her husband were the original owners. I hope I got the story right - that's what I recall anyway.

Wouldn't you know after picking it up I managed to scrape a bit of the paint off the top and side and when I covered it with a cheap tarp some of the tarp colour "ran" off onto the vinyl trim on the seats. Sigh. I managed to get the colour out of the white vinyl but haven't done the paint touch-ups yet.

Oh, and I also found a wasp nest under the dash. I have never jumped out of a boat as fast as I did after sticking my hand and a cleaning rag right into the wasp nest. Wooooeee! I managed to escape without a sting but man, that was lucky...

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

hi sarah and again, welcome to the starcraft club. i have big chrysler hanging on the back of my starcraft and when i first saw it i wrote it off asa no-go and was figuring on replacing it. after getting the boat home, getting starter rebuilt and then doing a compression test which was good across all 4 cyl ... i got her to fire up tonight .. woo hoo :D generally in most engines of compression is good it can be made to run. good luck and keep us posted, scott

I have the same boat. i want to restore it but have no clue were to get the origanal seats or anything close to it any suggestions? thx

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There is no "getting original seats", there is only reproducing them. A good vinyl shop should be able to set you up! It won't be cheap, but it'll be worth the effort.

The photo at the top of this thread shows a pretty good view of the seat pattern. Might be able to find more on the web, or e-mail Sally and see if she'll post some more pics of her seats.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

You don't see too many that age with a windshield in that great a shape, it looks new. That's a fantastic find. Welcome to Starcraft!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

sallycinnamon, That boat is so cool retro. That boat just needs a vintage motor on it. There are lots out there just have to be patient and search, search, search to find the right one for the right price. Good Luck. Here are some links I came across. Only thing is is getting shipped.
Not sure where you are located. But you never know. Now those last two would be perfect for your boat.:eek: And here is one I found on eBay this looks like a nice one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953...8987923QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

http://omaha.craigslist.org/boa/1427489013.html
http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/boa/1432623069.html
http://duluth.craigslist.org/boa/1452362218.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/1464317218.html

86 century

Ensign

That is a cool little boat Sally; the folks on here are good(starcraft) people. Can we see more pics please. Welcome to Iboats and the starcraft club.

cinnamonsally,

were it mine (and NO i can't afford ALL the Starcraft tincans), i'd look for a MID-60s, 40 horse, Gale, Johnson or Evinrude which does NOT have electric shift.

at least around here, they are 2-300.oo in good shape & are NICE/TOUGH/easy to work on engines, as long as you stay away from the pre-62 OBs.

fyi, i've had several of them since 1965.

yours, PG

cinnamonsally,

btw, the ONLY weakness that i can think of of those old "johnnyrudes" is the dual coils. - when i buy any of the 55-70s OBs i expect to replace them immediately = NAPA auto parts stores have enough parts available (generally overnight, if you are in a hurry - otherwise in 5 days or less) to completely replace the ignition system for about FIFTY BUCKS!
(compare that price with any modern OB!)

i also update all the "pressure tank" equipped "johnnyrudes" to fuel pump & "cheap plastic tank" soon after buying them - i do NOT trust "pressure tanks" that corrode INTERNALLY (sometimes), as it only takes ONCE to "blow you away".

yours, PG

PoppyG

Cadet

I have the same boat. I believe the max is 45 HP. To my knowledge all Darts are short transom. Mine has a 25 Johnson and runs great with 2 people.

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'm with PrestigeGL on this....an older johnnyrude twin, PRE electronic ignition, is cheap to get and keep running. anything from the 18hp to 40hp will work. if they have good compression, just slap a rebuild kit into carb and fuel pump, and replace all ignition bits.....under $120 for the parts....and you have essentially a super reliable motor for cheeeep. or locate a grumpy-old-man type of repair shop and have them do it, but shop rates destroy the "bargain" aspect pretty quick.

yes, a 35-40hp will pull a skier on that hull OK.

for perspective, a modern 4 stroke OB of abt 20 hp will run you maybe $2700+ new....and look real funny on back of your boat.