Fast bowriders for family and fishing

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fast bowriders for family and fishing

mutually exclusive requirements--aka day dreaming.

A 21' boat for $10,000 will be an old boat so expect a lot of down time and repair bills. And if it's not a fiberglass CC its interior will be right rank.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Dude, are you sure you really need to go 60mph? or is that just some magic number for the gps.

Call me an old fart wuss (many do) but seriously, what is your hurry for a family boat?

Something in the 40+mph is way fast enough for me. (Too much, usually) Try it, you may live til my age.

Slow down and smell the fish!

Jim

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

I must be missing the point and just breezed through all the posts but why in the world would you subject your family to 60mph. You can't ski, wakeboard or any of the normal family pastimes. I wouldn't dream of going that speed unless in a high performance hull and that would be with head protection and wearing a PFD at all times. My father in law was a boat racer in his younger years and lost it around that speed. He also lost a kidney in the process of hitting the water. Contributed a lot to his death a few years back. Dialysis isn't any fun.
Just curious ya'll

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

My "family boat" doubles as dad's play toy when I don't have my daughter and am on my own. it'll run a good bit faster than 60, but I wouldn't dream of running it flat out with kids, etc... on board. I will tell you it's nice to be able to cruise at 50 just over 3500. when we're going much distance it doesn't take forever to get there.

Note that I only on rare occassion try to fish out of the water sports / ski boat / speedboat bow rider. I've got an outboard powered, high free board, deep v-hull pig that will run about 35 wide open, but will handle a lot rouigher water than the captain would care to ride through...

can't see making one boat do both of what is being asked for well, but I very much understanding wanting to have a boat that will cover some distance without wringing it out. grin / pucker factor is also a great thing when dad's alone or out with one of his friends...