Bar's Leaks head gasket fix?

inyourwake

Cadet
Has anyone tried this? I had my neighbor tell me he had a blown head gasket and this fixed his boat so they could use it.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bar's Leaks head gasket fix?

bandage fix at best i would not trust it on the water i hate paddling back to the dock!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely not. First of all it would have to be in a closed cooling system. Second, it would totally gunk up your heat exchanger.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not arguing with you at all--related point--what does Bars Leak do in a system. For example, even in an automotive radiator? I used it in an old SUV radiator, didn't want to put any money into the thing, and it stopped the leak. Truck will die soon anyway. but curious to hear more about good/bad of Bars Leak for different things.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I suppose if you put 10,000 bottles of it in a small pond.

Head gaskets rarely fail on boats.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

it was explained to be by simply looking at it like how white blood cells work to fix a hole in your finger the way it clots as in patch lol

Maclin

Admiral

Try it and see, but understand what has to happen for it to have a chance.

For it to work it has to hang around in the engine for a while. If it does work in a car it only works because it is circulated thru the engine over and over because that cooling system is closed. Like Howard mentioned, in a raw water cooled engine the whole lake or dunk tank would have to be treated and recycled thu the engine over and over.

I have had a leak stop treatment work on a temporary radiator fix, that is a lot lower pressure than engine compression which is what a headgasket sees, upwards of 150psi. Does not seem like any liquid could get to just the exact right place and hang out long enoough to dam up a breach like that. Especially if it is in a raw water cooled engine and has about a .8 second fly-by attempt at it.

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I use alum a seal --- I carry some with me ---- for my cars. Works well on a good closed cooling system if the leak is not compression or oil related. If you have water in the oil from an oil / water passage leak ---- I doubt it will do anything as oil pressure is higher than water pressure :D

If you have a compression leak into your cooling system --- you can't stop Old Faithful :eek: with a band-aid !

I use it when the radiators just start to go and leak a little --- works great for a little while ---- It may keep you from being stranded.

OFM

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Absolutely not. First of all it would have to be in a closed cooling system. Second, it would totally gunk up your heat exchanger.

I have to agree with bruce, it will not work in an open system. All it will do is end up being flushed out. A new head gasket is your only true sensible fix. Sorry to burst your bubble on the temp fix.:(

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Barsleak works on 2 concepts...pressure and heat. With enough heat and pressure the little pellets melt and plug small holes. On an I/O you have neither.

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

it was explained to be by simply looking at it like how white blood cells work to fix a hole in your finger the way it clots as in patch lol

I know I'm weird, but my white blood cells fight infections and my platelets clot blood.;)