Switching from mechanical to electric fuel pump

OK guys, I've got an 84 Chaparral with the 3.0 Merc. It's carb'd and has a mechanical fuel pump that has just died. My question is: How hard is it to convert it to an electric fuel pump system? I understand I would need a block off plate and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but I want to know how much work is involved in actually getting it to work. Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Switching from mechanical to electric fuel pump

i would stick with mechanical. If you went electrical you would have to install an oil switch to prevent the fuel pump from running with the ignition on and the engine stopped as well as a means to provide power to the pump while cranking.

Why would you want to change over. I can not think of a reason.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The mechanical pumps are far more reliable than the electric pumps anyway. And you don't have to worry about all the electrical hook ups and associated problems.

Well, the main reason is, the original pump stopped working about 30 minutes after I bought the boat. I replaced it with a brand new piece, and it lasted until I got the ignition problem fixed and I replaced the fuel filter, and it shot about a 1/2 of a teaspoon of fuel and also died on me. Their reliability is in serious doubt with me. I think I will give the mech. 1 more chance. If it doesn't work, I'm gonna cut the boat in half and make a tiki bar out of it...

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I think I will give the mech. 1 more chance. If it doesn't work, I'm gonna cut the boat in half and make a tiki bar out of it...
Oh come on now - you sure you can't justify just a couple more grand???:rolleyes:

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I betcha the pump works but you have an air leak someplace in the line. Head up to the DIY section and read up about boat side fuel system testing.

Bondo

Staff member

Well, the main reason is, the original pump stopped working about 30 minutes after I bought the boat. I replaced it with a brand new piece, and it lasted until I got the ignition problem fixed and I replaced the fuel filter, and it shot about a 1/2 of a teaspoon of fuel and also died on me.

Ayuh,... That sounds like a fuel Restriction on the Tank-side of the fuelpump...
Or it's suckin' Air as noted by Jason...

Maclin

Admiral

How did you determine the fuel pumps were bad, did you bench test them? or perform a vacuum test while on the engine?