'72 Merc 800 SN 3191588 Several Questions Please HELP

KT64TM

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Howdy,

Long time reader, first post.

I recently aquired my G'pa's old '72 Ka-Jun bathtub style bass boat with the Titled engine. Cousin said it was "popping" from somewhere at the top.

So far:

1. replaced all fuel lines
2. new bulb
3. new starter solenoid
4. JUST finished w/ carb kits (had some parts in the kit that went nowhere)

I took it to a secluded ramp a couple days ago to see if it would run. (apartment dweller, no hose). It started (w/ a tiny shot of starter fluid, i know i know bad). It would start, rev to 3k then slowly shut down. The warm-up lever had no control, Incidentally both the throttle and warm up lever would only move the disty in the last inch of travel. Time for a link and sync I'm sure. I have the link to the L&S post and will print it out.

I'm waiting for a fuel pump kit that I THINK I ordered.

My main questions are these:

1. does my problem sound carb/fuel pump/sync related??

2. There is a crecent shaped hole in the leading edge of my LU JUST below the anti/cav plate. SPEEDO????

3. If it is indeed making a "popping" noise from under the flywheel as my cousin stated, could that be the upper end crank seal?

4. There are two holes, on either side of my LU forward of the vent screw, NORMAL??

I'm sorry for the LONG post.
Please help.

Kevin

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: '72 Merc 800 SN 3191588 Several Questions Please HELP

JUST finished w/ carb kits (had some parts in the kit that went nowhere)
That happens.

It would start, rev to 3k then slowly shut down.
Running out of fuel would be my guess. I tap the choke button to keep an engine running that acts like that. I hope you did the carbs right or else you will have to go back into them.

C)The warm-up lever had no control, Incidentally both the throttle and warm up lever would only move the disty in the last inch of travel.
Normal. That is how they work.

Time for a link and sync I'm sure. I have the link to the L&S post and will print it out.
Probably not needed unless somebody has been screwing with it..

D) I'm waiting for a fuel pump kit that I THINK I ordered.
This is needed. They get rigid from sitting and don't work well.

1. does my problem sound carb/fuel pump/sync related??
Carb and pump. Except for the pop thing.

2. There is a crecent shaped hole in the leading edge of my LU JUST below the anti/cav plate. SPEEDO????
flush/drain hole, nothing need be done with it.

3. If it is indeed making a "popping" noise from under the flywheel as my cousin stated, could that be the upper end crank seal?
That is what I would look at if I could determin that it was indeed coming from there. You may want to look at your recirculating hose. It is on the starboard side of the engine going from the bottom of the block to the top. It is a small diameter (1/8") hose.

4. There are two holes, on either side of my LU forward of the vent screw, NORMAL??
Normal, they are drains.

I would drop the distributor cap and clean the inside of it, the rotor too.
The plug wires are screwed in so don't pull on them. They do not need to come out anyway.
They are pretty good engines, I have 3 of them.