Downloading a YouTube video?

WizeOne

Commander
Does anyone use a safe download tool to download YouTube vids to your harddrive? I google it but am afraid to pick one lest it have viruses, etc. There is a video about Acorn, that I know will not last, that I would like to capture on my harddrive.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Downloading a YouTube video?

Real Player works for me.

Or tell me which one it is and I will download it for you and send it to you.

BF

Lieutenant

KeepVid has worked for me the few times I've done that. It doesn't have it's own tool bar, but you can add the correct link as a button on your own tool bar... just press it while playing a youtube vid and you are prompted about what res you want and where to save it... or just enter the url to the youtube thing into the box at the keepit website.

http://keepvid.com/

tallcanadian

Captain

I second the realplayer. No need to worry about viruses if your antivirus is up to date.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

I second the realplayer. No need to worry about viruses if your antivirus is up to date.

Unless... its a Brand New virus that isn't in the antivirus database yet...

The commercial anti-virus systems use pattern matching, or even less than that - string searching. They look for known 'signatures' of viruses. The key words here are 'known' and 'signature'. If it isn't known - ie: not widespread enough to be 'caught' by the anti-virus company - it won't be detected. If it is able to modify its signature, it is as good as unknown.

Why do you think it is that now and again you get viruses/worms that spread real fast, and virus detection systems do nothing about it? (netsky, etc.) Then, a couple of days later there is a fix for it. This is the lag time between when the virus is 'caught', its pattern is determined and the database is updated.

tallcanadian

Captain

Unless... its a Brand New virus that isn't in the antivirus database yet...

The commercial anti-virus systems use pattern matching, or even less than that - string searching. They look for known 'signatures' of viruses. The key words here are 'known' and 'signature'. If it isn't known - ie: not widespread enough to be 'caught' by the anti-virus company - it won't be detected. If it is able to modify its signature, it is as good as unknown.

Why do you think it is that now and again you get viruses/worms that spread real fast, and virus detection systems do nothing about it? (netsky, etc.) Then, a couple of days later there is a fix for it. This is the lag time between when the virus is 'caught', its pattern is determined and the database is updated.

well, knock on wood..i've never had a virus..ever.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://www.savevid.com/

Simple, web based, no downloads or toolbars. Just add the Youtube URL in the appropriate box, download the vid in either wm4 or flv format. Simple as pie.

//dan