Power Trim Question

WARDENSWORRY

Cadet
The up button on my trim switch does not work. I also have a trailer switch on my dash board that will trim the out drive up. Is this normal and if not what is the purpose of having 2 switches for trim up?

Thanks
WW

arrkerr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Power Trim Question

Someone might know better than me, but I think on some boats the trim switch did just the adjustment of the motor trim limited to what is safe to operate the motor at. The trailer switch actually did the tilting of the motor - same as the trim, but it lets you lift the motor higher out of the water for when it is being loaded on the trailer (ie: lets you extend past the limit switch).

Your "trim limit switch" has probably failed. It is located on the side of your drive, where the gimbal rocks up and down.

Last edited:

BigBK

Petty Officer 3rd Class

arrkerr is pretty right, on the trim pump there are 2 silnoids one for the down motion and one for the up motion. I would check those first to see if the up one is working.

I dunno....if the tilt goes up then the selonoid is working fine. I would think more related to the limit switch or bad contact in the wiring circuit

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is a Mercruiser I would say it is the Limit switch which just keeps you from taking the outdrive to far up while the motor is running. So it is most likely how it works. Does the up button work at all when you have the drive all the way down. If so it is normal. The trailer button is just for putting the outdrive all the way up for transport.

WARDENSWORRY

Cadet

I havent had this boat in the water yet so it is possible that i havent had the lower unit down below the limit switch limit. I cant lower it all the way due to trailer height. Also this is a mercruiser.

arrkerr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check out the manual for your drive. On the alpha1 gen1 I believe the trim limit shuts off the trim switch when the hydrolic trim cylinders are extended to just under 24 inches. To go past that you have to use the tilt/trailer switch. Of course that is adjusted via rotation of the trim limit switch, so it could me miss-adjusted.

BTW, I can't get mine down that far either on the trailer unless I drop the front all the way to the ground. If you really want to screw with it, lower your hitch end to the ground and you should be able to get it at least down to where the trim should be working.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is most likely fine. I cannot hit low enough on my trailer to use the up button

WARDENSWORRY

Cadet

Thanks for everyones help. The trim works fine once in the water. i was not able to lower it enough on the trailer.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dig a hole or lower the front of the trailer so you can lower the drive all the way.

DON'T leave the drive in the up position. It puts stress on the rubber drive bellows.