Portable boat heaters - greatest hits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Alright, so I did some searching of the forums. I decided to post anyway to summarize what I found, but also to ask the question: Are portable propane heaters safe for boats?

The main risk I found so far is that there's a risk of propane and/or fume leakage and propane settling in the bilge. I found it said that running the blower more can remedy this situation. Does that sound right?

Also, I found that the Mr Heater brand tends to be popular on these forums. Among other things, they are flameless, feature tip-sensors, and are made for low emissions. In fact you can use them in enclosed areas, although it is preferable to keep the fuel source outside.

The unit in question I bought is here - the Portable Buddy: http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24. Found it on sale at Princess Auto today, so I picked one up.

Being up in Canada, I like to try and push the boating season a little by getting an early start and going late. I'll probably have the boat in the water into October.

What say you?

EDIT: Huh - just realized I spelled "heaters" wrong in the title. Fixed.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Portable boat headers - greatest hits!

no portable heaters could be a bad call, but you can find a heater that works off of the water from your block, it has a blower fan 12vdc, great for cuddys alot like the heaters in a school bus but smaller.
rob

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I know a guy that has a gas grill and a fireplace on his pontoon... :eek:

SeanT

Well yeah, that's the other thing. I know there's guys on here that run grills on their boats, etc. Lots of pontoons with propane barbecues (of course I don't think pontoons with the outboards have any bilge worries).

I'm thinking that with a well functioning blower, this isn't going to be an issue. It sure sucks when the three year old is shivering while Mom is going for "just one more run" on the wake board....

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Portable boat heaters - greatest hits!

coleman procat, ok for tents.

SeanT

wear a jacket?
Works for fishing, not quite enough when you're in and out of the water. Unless that's the way you fish, which is sorta cool. And a bit creepy.

To rephrase the question - has anyone blown up their boat because they cooked a steak on a propane grill out on the lake?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Works for fishing, not quite enough when you're in and out of the water. Unless that's the way you fish, which is sorta cool. And a bit creepy.

To rephrase the question - has anyone blown up their boat because they cooked a steak on a propane grill out on the lake?

I use a propane grill, but its mounted overboard, off the rear swim step ladder. I keep it stored open in the gunnel storage, but keep a towel over it to prevent direct sunlight from hitting it. Never store propane below deck, or in the engine compartment and you should be fine. lots of campers have propane heaters in them...its pretty common. I remember growing up with one actually. had to keep x amount of square feet zipper windows open to vent the propane though.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The one you picked is pretty much the standard for winter fishing around here. Most like me, have full enclousures and the heat they throw keeps the chill off on those long winter days of fishing. Carry an extra bottle of gas with you. On the really cold day gas goes quick.

I feel sorry for you northern guys. Here you are talking about keeping the boat in the water as late as October and I don't even put the boat back in the water for the winter run until mid-November. Just couldn't do it. The 3 months I'm down for the winter is depressing enough.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

propane is only as dangerous as the person who missuses it! I have a dickenson marine heater and a cooktop stove on board, also a force 10 bbq that I can mount in any of 3 rod holders, all use propane,BUT,I also have a propane leak detector with 1 pickup near the cabin floor and 1 in the bilg. that thing will wake the dead when it goes off,and it will go off at something like 10 parts per 1000,000,long before you smell it. so be happy,be safe,stay warm.
happy boating:)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Try and get my Buddy heater away from me, I love it.

You can get a fitting for a standerd 20 lb tank and refill your cylinders, saves a ton of money, you can get @15 tanks out one grill tank and still have gas left over for the grill.

I have a comper top on mine and the heater is really nice around the end of Sept-Oct.

fishrdan

Admiral

coleman procat, ok for tents.

I used one of those camping (8x8 tent) and froze my a** off, temps got down to the 30's and it was the same in the tent. Only time I noticed it working is if I had my hands right over it, did make a nice hand warmer though...

Status
Not open for further replies.