Trailer too stiff for boat

boat58

Cadet
Hello, I have a Trail master custom trailer with 8" tire/wheel and a 1972 14' SeaNymph aluminum row boat with a 5 1/5 hp outboard. The boat, engine, full tank of gas, weigh about 180 lbs.

The trailer really bounces hard/stiff and it feels like the outboard will snap off, I drive between 55-60 no faster and i take back roads, no freeway driving.

The trailer has 2 leaf springs, and I was wondering if it would be OK to take the bottom small leaf out, or will it bounce even more? thanks

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Trailer too stiff for boat

drop the air in your tires some. not exactly recommended for long distances, but for slower speeds with a really light load it won't be a problem. the psi on the side is the max psi allowable for the rated tire load capacity, it is fine to use lower pressure for a lighter load.

NYBo

Admiral

I would also remove the outboard when trailering. Shouldn't be too much of a problem with a motor that small.

boat58

Cadet

Tire pressure is @ 60 psi, is it OK to go down to 40 psi and see how the trailer travels or is that too low ?

Shizzy

Ensign

I have the same issue with my little tinny.

I wouldnt go from the 60PSI down to 40 right away. try dropping it in small increments.

5PSI made all the difference in mine.

BTW, if im taking a longer trip then my usual 10 minutes down the road I air them up to the recomended and just pack more gear in to the boat.

boat58

Cadet

Thanks for all the good info, i'll give the lower air pressure a try and see what happens, thanks again.

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ran my trailer for many years with the second leaf removed. I was towing a 12 foot very light sailboat. Then I got a 12 foot aluminum runabout, and an 18 horse Johnson. Still did ok with the single leaf, but I was starting to get nervous when I'd put extra weight in it. (tires rubbing on fenders when hitting bumps, and motor coming closer to ground). I now have a 25 horse motor on the same boat, and the springs are back on.

It's not hard to do - sounds like with your boat, you can loose (well, keep them of course) the extra spring. You can always put it back.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Put the motor in the trunk and strap that tinny down real good.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Or put my ex mother in law in the tinny and add a couple of extra leaf springs !!!