In need a i/o History lesson...

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, I've been lurking and reading, but am having a hard time 'putting it all together'. Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo, Ford, Chevy, 2.3, 3.0, various out drives??? Can someone help me put it all in perspective?

I'm looking to purchase my first i/o boat, I'll most likely read and watch over the winter and buy next spring. I'm in $4000-5000 range so that puts me in the 80's-90's.

It seems this is a time of change for boats...OMC went out of business (or bought out?), the outdrives changed etc...

To be a bit more specific I'm looking for a 17-18' open bow, with a 3.0, 4 cyl. There are a ton of these out there, but with many (so it seems to me) combinations of motors and outdrives....can someone help put this in perspective?

Please, I don't mind you sharing your opinion of what to watch out for or avoid or visa versa. Much Thanks!

indy440

Chief Petty Officer
Re: In need a i/o History lesson...

Im not sure where you're located but around here 4000-5000 dollars will put you in a late 1990s (or maybe better) 17-18 bowrider with a 4-cylinder... For that money you can probably get in the mid-1990s with a v-6...

maybe even better in the winter time... Wait until 3-4 weeks before christmas and you'll find people desperate for cash willing to sell a boat cheap...

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

As you pointed out about OMC, stay away from their outdrives...hard to find parts. As far as availablility of parts go with a Mercruiser Alpha 1. they are by far the most common. As far as the engine is concerned it doesnt matter so much but again stay away from OMC if you can.....

paulspaddle

Must be nice to have those prices!

I'm from Manitoba and $4000 hardly buys you a boat here. A 1988 Capri can fetch $6500, prices are ridiculous. I'm a relatively short trip to Minnisota where $2500-$4000 seems to get you about a mid 80's to early 90's boat. I should have said $4000 is my ceiling as I assume I'd spend at least $1000+ to go pick it up, pay some taxes and maintenance off the hop.

I hear you on the 4.3, but I'd actually prefer the 3.0. On my priority list, fuel economy is higher than HP. Unless there is something other than those two factors I should consider?

Cheers

paulspaddle

When did Mercruiser start building the Alpha 1?

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

something to consider with the 3.0, depending on where you boat...

We use a pretty big lake and burn a ton of fuel. We end up running wide open a lot and you can plan on burning about 12 gallons per hour wide open. I think with a 4.3 or larger I'd be running it more around 1/2 throttle the whole time and maybe burning less fuel? I'm not sure about that though...

and it doesn't much matter, you have to pay to play and fuel is just part of the game... I know that before heading out and dont flinch at the amount we burn, the times we have on the water are priceless...

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

When did Mercruiser start building the Alpha 1?

I think they started in 1983 with the Alpha 1 Gen 1 and then switched to the Alpha 1 Gen 2 in 1991... however I think that boats built in 1992 and 1993 could have either... someone correct me if im wrong.

paulspaddle

I've heard "avoid OMC" pretty consistently.

Was there a significant differnece between the Alpha 1 gen I and gen II?

We are on a huge lake also. My impression on the debate between 4.3 or 3.0 was less about top end speed, but more pulling power. If you are going to go over 18' and will be doing lots of water sports, then go for the 4.3.

My son is 3 years old so for the most part, at this time we'd use the boat for some tubing, rarely skiing, mostly cruising to destinations typically within 5-10 miles. 4 adults and 3 kids.

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you want a 3.0, you want Volvo or Merc. Service availability may be the deciding factor. All 3.0s are GM engines. Ford did have a 2.3 four cylinder, but you must avoid that. Volvo also had a variety of Volvo blocked 4 cylinders, 3.0 nis not one of them.

I think with a 4.3 or larger I'd be running it more around 1/2 throttle the whole time and maybe burning less fuel?
Usually not true despite hearing it often . . . fuel is horsepower and horsepower equals speed . . . Obviously some engines are more efficient, but we're talking swings of 10% here, carb'd to carb'd. EFI (MPI and TBI) change that equation more, but only if comparing to a carb'd setup.

P.S. Moving this to the I/O section. We try and keep this section non-engine . . .

paulspaddle

Thanks for the info. Bubba.

I do go back and forth on the size of motor. Maybe my choice on my truck shows a bit of my personality. I bought a GMC Sierra 2WD with the 4.8 in it. Most people now a days would say, "It's underpowered"...and yes, there are times I can't pass without taking a bit of a run at it on the highway especially loaded, BUT I average over 23 mpg highway/city and have gotten as much as 27 on highway. You won't find a 'honest' owner of a 5.3 or 5.7 who can say that. On a 300 mile round trip to the cabin I save enough in fuel for a case of beer per weekend...: )

Sorry, I'm way off topic....your absolutely right though, it would helpful to take a 3.0 for a test ride.

Thanks.

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most people will use less gas with 4.3 than with 3.0. This is because the amount of time it take the 3.0 takes to plane out vs the 4.3. Also, you can use a larger prop with the 4.3 and turn fewer RPM to cruise at 30 MPH.

I would stay away from any OMC, old Volvos that use Volvo car engines, Merc 470's (3.7 Liter engine). Parts for any of these are either hard to get or expensive. There are some people that have these engines and love them, but why buy one if you know they are going to be a problem. I.E. I just had a cusotmer buy a new starter for his Volvo Penta with an Vovo car base engine for $480.00. We could not find one in the after market and had no choice but to order it from Volvo Penta.

old bird

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Far as i know .
Volvo Penta, MerCruiser, and OMC are their marine conversion of a GM, Ford, or Chrysler engine.
But ???

paulspaddle

Great 'points worth noting' thanks.

Hmmmmm, I actually wouldn't have a problem cruising at 30mph or less if it made that much of a fuel difference. I, like most do enjoy pushing it WOT, but can keep that to short bursts.

Are all 4.3's Chevy?

Is it realistic to find a decent shape 4.3, in a decent boat for $4000? I know there's a great deal every minute, but would this be common?

Remember the title to this thread....I'm trying to put it all together. Could/would you have a 4.3 with a Mercruiser out drive?

QC

Supreme Mariner

When did Volvo use their own auto engines? I've never seen one. I mean they may exist but I've never ran across even one.
There were lots of them well into the 80's . . . Search their site there are even Operation Guides there.

ViewImage.aspx

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When did Volvo use their own auto engines? I've never seen one. I mean they may exist but I've never ran across even one.
They used them for years. All the straight 6's were auto engines as well as the B20 OHV and the 2.1 and 2.3L OHC engines. Last ones were used in the late 80's I believe.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

pp> My son is 3 years old so for the most part, at this time we'd use the boat for some tubing, rarely skiing

When we bought our boat about 10 years ago, our daughter was 5 and our son was 1 year old. It was all cruising and some tubing back then. By the time my daughter was 8 or 9 and my son about 5, we were starting to do more skiing. Today, she's 15 and he's 11, and for the last 4 years about all we do is wakeboard, ski and tube. We have to purposely take an "adults only" weekend to do a bunch of cruising.

But we do all of this with a 4-cyl 140 in a big pontoon boat. Nobody's barefooting so we don't need screamin speeds.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hi all, I've been lurking and reading, but am having a hard time 'putting it all together'. Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo, Ford, Chevy, 2.3, 3.0, various out drives??? Can someone help me put it all in perspective?

OK, well no one covered the history mystery....

Well here's a bit of history .......

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/pat/isd.htm

You might note that ALL the successful drives were designed originally by someone that worked at or worked for Kiekhaefer Mercury. (except maybe DANA)

Cheers,

Rick

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Okay... I hope you figured out by now you want to stay with Merc or VP. As far as which one, go to both manufactors web sites and there are dealer locaters. You'll probably want the setup with the closest dealer. If you have both in your area, Volvo Penta drives are built better, but Merc is going to be more economical when it comes to repair and PM. Parts prices get scarey high on alot of the VP stuff.

Now as far as an engine. In an 17-18ft boat, your going to want a 4.3 if you can find one. If its just you in the boat, with a light load, and 1/2 a tank of gas a 140(3.0) is going to make the boat fly. But once you add the family to it, a 140 isn't going to feel like a lot of power. If you plan on doing water sports with it, you will probably have to carry 2 props for a 140, whereas a 4.3 you'll be fine with 1 prop. Look at it this way, everybody complains when they have to little power, but NOBODY complains when they have to much.

Hope that helps.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man that Volvo straight six is a rare bird, that Baja looks sweet I love the blue and yellow colors myself. :cool:
And MerCruiser drives and mechanics are like Chevy mechanics / Chevy engines/ Chevy parts interchangeability.
EVERYWHERE, REASONABLY PRICED AND DURABLE.