old evinrude E70TLCO 85'-87'?

boondox813

Cadet
am i correct in the year of the engine? im new to boating and bought a fixerupper from my boss had been sitting for 3-4 years got a new battery fuel tank fuel line with bubble . . all the minor stuff to try and get it runnin . . got it goin and it will run for about a minute and cut off but if i keep pushing the electric choke when it starts to bogg down it stays cranked . . i was told that i probably need to extract and tear down/clean the carbs ( this is a 3 cylinder 2-stroke ) was wondering what you all think ? maybe symptoms of other problems? would appreciate any advice

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: old evinrude E70TLCO 85'-87'?

carbs it is. good motor though. I'm on my second

boondox813

Cadet

appreciate it i got a book in route so i can reference that lol the wires and what not need some tending to as well i just replaced the plugs and wires fires like new, so once i clean the muck outta the carbs should be good to go . . thanks again

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boondox823,
Yes, you need to clean, clean, clean those three single barrel carbs out really good and use brand new carb rebuild kits. I would also get you a tool made up to remove the orifices/jets or purchase one. That is what I am going to have to do with mine. I have had my carbs off three times within a year but have never removed my jets/orifices, especially the high speed one, and made sure they are 100% clean and you can blow carb cleaner with the small red nozzle attached to the carb cleaner can and spray through it with no restriction. That is what I failed to do but I will buy the special jet/orifice removal tool and do just that. I will use the genuine Johnson/Evinrude carb rebuild kits versus aftermarkets becuase in my experience the fuel pickup tube round gasket seems to get somewhat dissolved so I am thinking I will spend the money and buy the OE carb kits from the Johny/Rude dealer in town and do this right this next time. Also, if you don't know how long the fuel has set in th etank I would dump it and flush it out really good and put fresh 87 octane fue/'oil mixture in it with a can of SeaFoam added to the fuel tank after the carbs have been rebuilt and the fuel tank is cleaned out. Let us know how it turns out I am really anxious to get mine down but I am deployed out of country with the Military. Take care, Bob:)

boondox813

Cadet

awesome thanks for the info and i will keep ya informed ill probably have more questions for you fine folks

boondox813

Cadet

any particular fuel treatment/preserver you all recommend? im sure its all about the same price im sure being the only real difference . .

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

your engine is an '85. use the acronym INTRODUCES to figure out what year your engine is. ie. I=1 N=2 T=3 so on and so forth. so yours being CO means C=8 and O=5.