Grady white soft floor

buddyp

Seaman
Looking to buy a 1988 grady white 19 tournment dual console..great lookin spotless boat.BUT...the floor is soft..drivers seat pulls back several inches with minimum effort and rest of floor is a little spongie...what does this repair cost?

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Grady white soft floor

First of all, pics would be great becasue we like to see what you are dealing with:D
Next, are you looking to do this yourself, or taking it somewhere and have the floor redone? If you are asking about a price estimate for someone else doing it, I have no idea! If you are going to do it your self you may need to dig a little deeper to determine the cost of it. Once you pull the floor up, you will need to check the stringers and transom which normally go with the floor. If the stringers and floor are solid, cost and time will be drastically reduced. So, lets be optimistic and say all you need to do is the floor. In my opinion (mind you I am no expert by ANY means) I would say the project would cost you about $500 tops.
Good luck and try and get some pics!

Last edited:

.BUT...the floor is soft..

It's just about a guarantee there's more going on than just a soft deck. Almost certainly there will be wet/rotted stringers as well, and more than likely the transom also, especially considering the extent of wet/rotted deck that you describe.

I'm currently working on restoring a '79 Checkmate - the previous owner swore up and down the only thing wrong was a soft spot in the forward deck, just replace that little bit of plywood and she'd be fine. Yeah, right - at least I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into and bought it as a project boat. EVERY piece of wood was soaked, as was the flotation foam.

In any case, if you're inclined to do the work yourself it's not going to be horribly expensive. Prior to starting work on my Checkmate I replaced the deck, stringers, and transom on a 15' fish-n-ski. Total cost for materials was around $500 or so and it took me 6 weeks working on it evenings and weekends. There are many threads here to learn from on what needs to be done.

On the other hand, if you're just talking about paying someone to do the work, considering the amount of labor involved in doing it right, it would have to be at least 2 or 3 thousand dollars. Someone could probably just lay down plywood for a lot less, and you'd never know the difference for a year or two, but in the end you'd have to do everything anyway.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Read the threads on here where members are restoring fiberglass boats to see what you're in for. The likelihood of it just being the floor and not the stringers and transom is slim. Boats often rot from the bottom up so by the time you've got a soft spot on the floor, the entire substructure is mush. This project is time consuming and the materials are not cheap. I would think it would be cost prohibitive to pay someone else to do the job.

That being said, Grady White's are fantastic boats with well above average resale values. If there was ever a boat with restoring, a GW is it. This is assuming you can get it cheap enough. Good luck with whatever you decide.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there was ever a boat with restoring, a GW is it.

Spot on. Expect the worst, but GWs are worth the time.

What's the story on the power?