Fast Idle Lever

KStoon

Seaman
I have a remote control that has the black clip (lock?) broken on the end of my fast idle lever. I keeps the fast idle lever in the run position when not on or in use. Johnson seems to only offer the whole lever for $60. The black end clip is retained by 2 screws and would seem to come off and could be replaced. I'd rather not spend that kind of money just to get the clip and possibly have to replace the whole lever. Surely someone makes a replacement? I'm not sure of the exact year of remote I have. The previous owner said it was a 1982 control and the parts listing on the Johnson web site look just like what I have. I have tried different years either older or newer and all are similar. My engine is a 1973 85hp. Thanks!

KStoon

Seaman
Re: Fast Idle Lever

Sorry for the delay. I've attached a couple of pics of the black piece I'm talking about. The boat shops I've talked to didn't have any old pieces on hand like this. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Lever1.jpg
    Lever1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • lever2.jpg
    lever2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Since they don't offer that part seperate from the lever your best bet is to start checking salvage yards.

KStoon

Seaman

No boat salvages around here. Never heard of such here in KS. I'd prefer not to buy a weathered part ready to break like mine did. Coming from an automotive field like I do I just imagined there would be companies which offer parts for common replacement items like in automotive stores. I understand the market is smaller but I am new to the whole OEM only supply angle. I might try an online search. If I find used dirt cheap it would be worth taking a chance. Thanks.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Might try the correct name for that part (sorry, i don't know) & do a internet search & also a Ebay search for Johnson parts- Might find that or maybe a cheap entire throttle/fast idle lever :cool:

KStoon

Seaman

I did some more searching. Not knowing exactly what my remote is makes it hard though. But...... in doing so I have decided that my remote resembles the 1983 engines more so than the 1982 versions. I searched the actual P/N and found supersessions which lead to pictures which make a guy go...HEY, that looks like what I have!! My remote is more like the 1983 models with the fast idle lever with the additional clip P/N 0329358 (0331050) which is available for $5.44. Sweeeeet! Part number 81 on the attached pic. hanks for making a guy think harder and look more. If the stupid remotes had some model #'s on them it would help get the right parts! So much for listening to the thoughts of previous owners!!

Attachments

• 4139358810.jpg
    4139358810.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0