15hp Evinrude Wont stay running

I just bought a little 12' Jon Boat with a 1984 15 hp Evinrude and a 6 gal tank. I took it out on a lake near by and it ran fine with no problems at all. So I did a few modifications and added a deck up front and moved the 6 gallon tank up front so I could ride by myself and have a little weight in the front. Boat had a little trouble starting the next time I took it out but finally go it started and it ran fine. But at random times when I'd go to start it it would start up and die and then Id have to yank on it several times before it would finally get running well again. Then when we were getting ready to leave it took half an hour to finally get started and then as we were running it died. I figured out I had to pump the ball after a min or so to keep the motor running. So all the way back in as we were running I kept having to pump the ball when the motor would start slowing down and sounding like it was going to die. I thought it might be the fact that I moved the tank up front but I moved the tank back to the back with a shorter hose as a test and it is doing the same thing. I can get it running right away now but to keep it running every min or so I have to pump the ball. I redid all my fittings to make sure I wasnt getting any air. Cant figure out what it could be.....any ideas? Sorry for the novel. Any input is much appreciated.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 15hp Evinrude Wont stay running

A 15 hp Evinrude on a 12 foot jon boat? :eek::eek:

Your fuel pump may be a bit weak to pull fuel that far or maybe it just needs replacing.

Minnow00

Seaman Apprentice

Could still be a fuel problem look for a clogged filter or might be time for carb cleaning, maybe float and inlet needle. Shouldn't matter where the tank is. I got mine in front of my 12 tin for the same reason as you moved yours.

Rick.

Captain

First you should check the tank inlet screen and the fuel pump screen. If they are fine disconnect the fuel line at the carb. pump the bulb slowly until you get gas then pull the recoil several times and check to see it is pumping as it turns over.Put some rags in the cowl before you start. Sure sounds like a week pump but it could be the easier stuff too so check those first. I assume your tank is well vented. Here are a couple of links for you . First is a parts breakdown of your motor and tank and the second is (IMO) a must read for all 9.9 and 15 owners. Best of luck. Rick.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=b5e689a93b68151bf6213bb1eb457332

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC info.htm

First you should check the tank inlet screen and the fuel pump screen. If they are fine disconnect the fuel line at the carb. pump the bulb slowly until you get gas then pull the recoil several times and check to see it is pumping as it turns over.Put some rags in the cowl before you start. Sure sounds like a week pump but it could be the easier stuff too so check those first. I assume your tank is well vented. Here are a couple of links for you . First is a parts breakdown of your motor and tank and the second is (IMO) a must read for all 9.9 and 15 owners. Best of luck. Rick.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=b5e689a93b68151bf6213bb1eb457332

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC info.htm

yeah tank is well vented, tank is only a couple months old. I also read something on that site you posted on how to test the ball so i'll try that as well. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I make out.

Another thing I am wondering about is I bought a replacement fuel line connector to replace the one on my motor thinking it may be letting air in there but the part they gave me looks like this....
85371F-p.gif
and the fuel line connector on my motor looks like this....
Low_speed_control.JPG

I'm not sure how it is saposed to replace it when the one the motor looks like it connects directly behind the 2 prongs sticking out but the they gave me has a connection at the end. Any help with this is appreciated. By the way that is not a pic of my motor just one I found on that website.

Rick.

Captain

Looks like the one they sold you screws into the tank, it isn't the right part for your motor. Unless you can see damage I doubt you would ever need to replace it. The better thing to do would be to replace your O rings on the fuel hose connectors as they are more likely to cause leakage of air/fuel. Rick.

Looks like the one they sold you screws into the tank, it isn't the right part for your motor. Unless you can see damage I doubt you would ever need to replace it. The better thing to do would be to replace your O rings on the fuel hose connectors as they are more likely to cause leakage of air/fuel. Rick.

Thanks for all your help. It looks like the ball was the culprit. I pulled it from the end coming from the tank and sqeezed it and it came out the oposite way it was saposed to. I installed the one I had bought and it seemed to run good without having to pump. Will be taking it out for an hour today on a local lake to test it out but I think shes fixed. Thanks for all your help to everyone who commented.

I was wrong, took it out on the water and had the same issue. As well as my pull string came out and didn't recoil back in. So now I have that to deal with as well. Whoever said boat means "Bring Out Another Thousand" wasn't lieing. I'm just glad I have a small boat and its not actually thousands I'm having to bring out but you get the idea. Anyway I think I'm going to try moving the tank back to the back and see if that helps. Any tips on what i can do about the pull string? thanks.

Rick.

Captain

If the spring has slipped inside the recoil housing you'll have to take it off to repair it. If not, try lots of WD40 (or similar) spray to get it slipping freely. I really think your fuel pump is the problem. Did you ever check to make sure it was pumping? Moving the tank around the boat will not make a difference as the lift is the same. You could try elevating it but I would not recommend it for the boat. Rick.

yeah, once i get the pullstring fixed ill test the pump. The string retracks a couple inches in but then stops. We recoiled it by hand 3/4 of the way but then it gets stuck. How hard is it to pull the spring?

Rick.

Captain

Not all that hard. Wear goggles and your junkiest clothes cause the job is a didrty one though. I would recommend you get an OMC service manual as the job is covered rather well in the manual.

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same problem, a weak fuel pump that would work sometimes, and quit, turned out the pump diaphragm wad gotten stiff and developed a slight leak near one of the four screw holes. Due to incessant cranking trying toi start it, the recoil spring finally broke. The recoil spring breaking is common, I have replace mine twice in the 27 years I've owned my 9.9/15 and so I have a spare in my stash. The pump kit is under $20.00 , and the pump is $80.00 so a rebuild is cheaper, but a bit tricky. I used a dab of white lithium grease(dissolves quickly in gasoline) to hold the springs and little plastic pads that go on the ends of the springs when assembling the pump. Read the link above for information about rebuilding the pump, it is excellent.

So I recoiled the string and pulled on it with the gas line off the carb and barely any came out when I pulled just a few drips while I held the line with the opening facing up. Should it have sprayed out of there while I was pulling? Also, i'm pretty sure I need a new tension spring because after recoiling it didnt want to go all the way back in, it would retract slightly then stop.

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The fuel will come out of the pump pretty slowly in pulses, not a spray, as you pull the engine through with the rope starter. What happens to the fuel pump is that the diaphragm gets old and stiff, and often one of the four holes on it's coners will tear a bit and cause the diapragm to leak internally and not pump very well, especially at low speeds. My pump before rebuild had a very small leak in the diaphragm as described above, but it was not bad enough to make the engine die while running at speed. What it would do however is cut out as I pulled away from the dock after warming up the engine. This was while running at low speed inside the 5MPH bouys near shore. I would squeeze the bulb, restart the engine and once we hit full throttle and started planing the engine ran fine, and it would restart for the rest of the day with no problems. As time went on, the stalling after warm up problem became more prevalent and I began to suspect a problem with the pump, which turned out to be correct. Go to this link for more info on rebuilding your pump:
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

So I dont think I need a new rewind spring for the pull start. I pulled it apart today and found the lower starter pulley is broken so I ordered one.
DSCF2010.jpg

does this look normal?
DSCF2011.jpg

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The end of the spring is also bent open, it should be folded back 180 degrees and form a "U". The spring, when it breaks, usually breaks right at that "U", so since you have it apart, might as well replace it because once it's bent, it's been fatigued. Check that the pull rope is not frayed either, as now is also the time to replace it. Get you parts from IBOATS, or Sierra, but if they are out of the pump kit, featherweight outboards have them in stock, as I just received a couple from them.