A Dell peeve!

WizeOne

Commander
Letters wearing away on the keys of a Dell Laptop. I have never even had that happen on the cheapest $7 Fry's Electronics PC keyboard. Grrrr!

i386

Captain
Re: A Dell peeve!

If you've typed enough to wear it off, you ought to know what it is by now.:D

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Political change can stir the heart and drive men to new heights....In this case it seems to have worn out a key board..Time to calm down old buddy..;)

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

it just means we need to do other things than sit behind the PC for hours on end...:)

somewhere along the lines I turned into a PC geek too...never thought that would happen...now we have 8 PCs in the house and they do everything we need...(ie: make us lazy)

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

considering Dell uses all generic parts in their PCs it doesnt surprise me at all...

the good laptops are in the Vostro line...those are the business class and are made better....

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I would never buy another Dell again...

Years back, I bought one that was during the transitional time with memory... RDRam was new and expensive, but was dual channel... so I got it in my Dell...

well RDRam was good, but stupidly expensive, so it went the way of Beta, 8-tracks, and Cassettes LOL...

I decided I wanted to upgrade the memory on it, but Dell had a stupidly expensive price on it... so I just ordered some from Tiger direct...

Put it in, and computer wouldn't start... ugh... turns out, it needs to have the bios flashed to support the new memory size... so I called up Dell (had a 4 year IN HOUSE, extended warranty I have NEVER used), and they said, not supported, and told me basically to **** off...

Needless to say, that was my first and last Dell... I build my own now...

bandit86

Banned

we have 6 dell desktops, and I'm about to go in for another dell laptop

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

considering Dell uses all generic parts in their PCs it doesnt surprise me at all...

the good laptops are in the Vostro line...those are the business class and are made better....

Not sure what you're saying here, bt. Vostro is a Dell.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Letters wearing away on the keys of a Dell Laptop. I have never even had that happen on the cheapest $7 Fry's Electronics PC keyboard. Grrrr!

Hmmm, Dell, windows, lets see.

Which keys are you wearing out?

Control Alt Delete ?
Esc?
or the Windows help key?

:)
sorry, couldn't resist.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Num, I agree totally with you. Back in the DOS days my first computers almost took a bank loan to float. Then to find out that some brand name computers had proprietary hardware was hard to deal with. I started building my own for win 3.1 and have been building them to my liking ever since. Just wish that voice recognition software would pick up to be better so I wouldn't have to wear out these dang keyboards...LOL

WizeOne

Commander

Hmmm, Dell, windows, lets see.

Which keys are you wearing out?

Control Alt Delete ?
Esc?
or the Windows help key?

:)
sorry, couldn't resist.

Double :p to you roscoe!:D

Aktooly, it is Mrs WO's laptop. My grubby fingers have never sullied her keyboard!

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I suspect it's an issue with this one laptop. None of my 3, including the 6 year old one I am using right now had that problem. My last employer (35,000 employee multinational) was a Dell only shop and I never heard anyone there complain about that there either. In fact, keyboards were about the only thing I didn't hear complaints about...

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure what you're saying here, bt. Vostro is a Dell.

just what I said...

Dell has the personal line....which is prolly the one the OP mentioned....

then they have a Business line...which is the Vostro line of laptops...Dells Business laptops...they are more heavy duty than the regular line...

I have been building Custom PCs for 10 years now outside of my engine business...when I have customers that want a prebuilt I put them in a Dell...never had an issue with customer support as long as it is Dell stuff...

you cannot buy 3rd party stuff and expect support...they dont cover anything that doesnt come from them...and rightfully so...

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I agree, Dell nowadays has the best guarantee, and customer support. I cannot build a computer as cheap as what you can buy a comparable Dell. I mostly design my personal computers for video and audio quality.

i386

Captain

Certain types of hand lotion will cause letters to fade from the keyboard at an accelerated rate.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I would definitely consider buying another Dell.
I bought an M90 (professional workstation) laptop off them (3) years ago with the full next day-on site warranty and it worked out quite well.
That said, I did have some issues on the computer within the last year of ownership which they worked hard to resolve. Then with only 2-3 weeks left on my 3 year warranty and no clear full resolution in site to the computer issues they simply gave me a brand new replacement, which is the newer series M6400. I insisted that everything that I had optioned and 'up ordered' on the original M90 be on this new computer. Their response was 'no problem', already accounted for and this M6400 will easily out pace the original M90, which was no slouch. Anyways, its a very nice machine and its running great.
I'd never get one built by a kid...usually for video game purposes. This kind of techno geeking never yields great results in my experience.
My two bits.
BP:cool:

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Certain types of hand lotion will cause letters to fade from the keyboard at an accelerated rate.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!:D:D If you meant that the way I took it then it's the funniest thing I've heard all day!:D

BOB

i386

Captain

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!:D:D If you meant that the way I took it then it's the funniest thing I've heard all day!:D

BOB

Bad Bad Bad!!!:D

No....

The last network I administered was a medical facility with mostly women users. There were a few women who were constantly wearing the letters off their keyboards. As it turned out it was their hand lotion causing the problem. The whole place used nearly identical Lenovo systems. There wasn't a problem with all the keyboards, just with certain users.

I've heard Dell will send you a new keyboard if the letters are wearing off if you ask them.

If you're a hard core gamer you might as well do your homework then build your own rig. For most people a good computer from Dell will work great. Being on the fixing end of things, I like to work on Dell's more than any other because I know getting replacement parts or discs is going to be easy. I rank them 3rd in the least preloaded BS software department behind Acer and Lenovo respectively.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I get a new Dell Latitude every 18 months. Never really had a problem with any of them. Been all over the world. Dropped them on the floor at the airport more than once. Several have hit the deck from the overheads bins on an airplane. Generally just get abused by traveling for a living.