How dumb of me....

99z286spd

Cadet
Im new here and i have been doing a LOT of reading and searching and finally sighned up. I aquired a wellcraft 17.7 bowrider boat through Craigslist 4 months ago for free! I was told it wouldnt run. I'm always up for projects so I went for it. It had a 90 hp e-rude 1982. I got it to run but not well. It wouldnt idle well but WOT was ok. After tinkering for awhile I bought the manual and found I had 10 psi comp in one cylinder causing the poor running. I researched rebuilding prices and was very depressed as i did not have 3,000 to do the job right(I wanted complete not just powerhead). So I took a chance and searched for a few weeks and found a used engine complete on Ebay E88MSLESA for 650.00. The guy was real cool about it and took 150.00 dollars off the price because of a leaking lower end plug. The engine had sat for a few years and was told it ran well when last run. I got the old engine off the boat and mounted the new one. I got it fired up after cleaning carbs, fuel pump, and new H20 pump. The engine ran good and smooth but after it got up to temp it started spitting. I took the cover off and noticed spark jumping on two of the coil packs. Apparently there was cracks in them. So since my old engine had brand new every thing, i swapped the coil packs, wires and plugs. I did not refire the engine..I just assumed it was all good. Well..got my boat to the ramp, 10 miles away, and backed her in. I tried to start the engine in the water but it would only start and die instantly. I advanced the throttle all the way and got it running but would only run higher than 2k rpm otherwise die. I killed the battery tryin to fool with it, took it home and put a tank under it and a battery charger. I got it running by advancing the throttle again and fooled with the plug wires. 3 wires off had no effect how the engine ran. But one wire made it die instantly. I used pliers to touch the coil wire from the power pack to the coil and voilla!! I heard that cylinder pick up. The other side with both wires off... i touched the plug wire that went to the bottom cylinder to the top cylinder plug and that cylinder picked up!! Then put the last one on the bottom cylinder and that one picked up!! Then i went back to the lake and it ran awesome!!! I am very happy with the deal I got. I guess the moral of the story was is that i didnt pay attention to the wire colors and the wire that goes to the coil from the power pack, the metal spring clip came out on one of em cuz i didnt take care when i removed it from the old coil. I'm sorry bout the long rant but i guess i needed it. I kinda wanted to "introduce" myself too so people know my story. I never had a boat but I am hooked now!!
Thanks
Leon

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How dumb of me....

Great story, awesome that you got a deal on a motor that runs well for you!

I might add though, that that is one massive block of text :) Might want to put it into paragraphs to make it easier to read.

Also, Welcome! I just joined up myself.

jonesg

Admiral

I'm still looking for the dumb part.:p

Those "free" boats usually need transom jobs

99z286spd

Cadet

Actually the boat is in great shape. Transom all good. It needed new plywood for the floor and new carpet. Also a new trailer. It is fiberglass but the previous owner painted it white with house paint. It still looks ok but the front of the bow is peeling. The bottom paint is good too.

I picked up a used EZ LOADER bunk/roller trailer for 5 bills also from Craigslist. I put in a voltmeter and a new tach and a cd player. The seats are in great shape. The hour meter reads 1680 hours and counting The owner told me he rebuilt the engine twice in its lifetime and that it was the origional block and lower end.
Me n the wife will be out on it tomorrow am. I will post how it goes!! My wife is excited woo hoo!!!!
Leon

dr1553

Cadet

Welcome Leon. I'm new here also.

What are your plans for the old dead 90hp evinrude? My boat is underpowered (70hp) and I would like a project motor like that to play with. Are you anywhere near Houston? ;)

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Good story- thanks for sharing.

Welcome Leon. I'm new here also.

Are you anywhere near Houston? ;)

You new guys need to complete your profile and show your hometowns!!!

jonesg

Admiral

Actually the boat is in great shape. Transom all good. It needed new plywood for the floor and new carpet. Also a new trailer. It is fiberglass but the previous owner painted it white with house paint. It still looks ok but the front of the bow is peeling. The bottom paint is good too.

I picked up a used EZ LOADER bunk/roller trailer for 5 bills also from Craigslist. I put in a voltmeter and a new tach and a cd player. The seats are in great shape. The hour meter reads 1680 hours and counting The owner told me he rebuilt the engine twice in its lifetime and that it was the origional block and lower end.
Me n the wife will be out on it tomorrow am. I will post how it goes!! My wife is excited woo hoo!!!!
Leon

Hr meters are not much use on johnsons, they need decade meters.

He must have had some problems if it was rebuilt twice, it cannot be rebored 3 times so keep that other block around.

Another very usefull meter is a temp guage, the head is already tapped near the sparkplugs, one in each head and a single guage with a flip switch.
Especially as it was rebuilt twice already, I like knowing exactly what temp the engine is running at a glance.
All too often the warning horn merely lets you know the piston rings just broke.

99z286spd

Cadet

The old engine I had was rebuilt twice. The new 'old' engine I got has 80 hours on it. Me n my wife went out yesterday and it ran awesome.

I read bout someone doing the head temp sensor thing with a flip switch....what sensor do I need? Can I get it at auto zone? I thought those had to be in a head with water to work?
I want to do that trick.
Also does anyone know where the original gas tank would be? I looked under the back rail where the gas filler is and there is nothing attached to it. I followed the
Wires from the gas gauge to see where they go but they were cut just at the rear of the boat by the bilge area.

Another question. What is the big black circle thing....looks like a speaker grille on the port side by the outboard? Its about 6-7 inches around with a snap out cover and it is up high.
That happens to be the same side the gas fill is on

99z286spd

Cadet

Its not a horn. That is under the dash. If it was mounted on the floor, id think it was a live well but it is mounted verticaly right next to the outboard in the transom well. Does anyone have a below ground pool? This thing resembles the lid that you pick up to pull out the filter cartridge by the edge of the pool...? I will try to post a pic but i dont know how yet.
Leon

jonesg

Admiral

Could be the bilge/tank vent, below deck tanks are required to have venting.

Pull the deck to find the tank.
They probably tossed it so you won't find anything.
You can find tanks on craigslist cheap, new plumbing will run $75 if you re-do it. Just re-did mine, I installed a bilge/tank fan to vent it.

99z286spd

Cadet

Thanks JONESg
On the head temp thing...do I use the threads of the hole where those little bolts are that are above and below each spark plug?
Where can I get the temp sensor?
I will try to post picture s later of that cover thing that I'm trying to figure out.
Leon