Personal Security Paranoia

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Personal Security Paranoia

I have overnighted on my boat(s) many of times and never ever had an issue with "people"...

One time I decided spur of the moment to go to homossassa... hadn't been there in ages... got there late... launched, and was hoping to just "beach" the boat somewhere and set up a tent...

(I was in a 14' Flat bottom jon boat)...

Well suffice it to say, I hadn't remembered that the river is alllll built up and ALLL private these days, so there was nowhere to beach...

Grrr I didnt have the money for a hotel room, (if I could even go find one that late, would have had to pull the boat out, drive somewhere, etc.)

So I just pulled up outside the channel, tossed the anchor, and my GF (at the time), and I slept on the deck... out in the open...

About 2am ish... I feel the boat moving around (I am a heavy sleeper), and I wake up to see my GF in full out combat against BATS with her pillow... if she wasn't scared to death it would actually have been hilarious... They were swarming at her and the boat...

Never knew bats would do that, but I have to admit it was creepy...

Suffice it to say, we pulled anchor and headed back up river... we pulled up at one of the docks for a retaraunt on the water, and slept on the boat there... we did get a few stares in the morning, as we woke up kinda late hehe

But all in all, I am really not worried about staying on the water... other than the "bat" incident, I have never had any issues with it.

ziggy

Admiral

guess i'm not to worried. i go camping or sleeping on board when ever i want, wherever i want around here. i don't even own a weapon..
i feel safer at the lake than i do at home. there's been multiple weapons discharged within blocks in my area of town all summer this year...
folks is crazy.. not so much action at the lake. not so many folks..

puddle jumper

Captain

Wow other than hunting and skeet shooting i don,t even take my guns out of the safe. Other than the wild life there is no threat and the wild life normally stays away from you. I guess that the difrence from where you live to were I live.

If you feel that unsafe were you are Id move

Vert1go

Seaman Apprentice

Simple solution, I bring my Glock everywhere I go (legally, of course).

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I am actually considering keeping a small handgun in my car... know any laws against that?

In PA you need to have a concealded carry license if you want to keep it in your car loaded and ready for use. It is easy to get, just do downtown to the courthouse and fill out the paperwork. Should show up in a few weeks providing it is approved.

You can keep one in your car without a license as long as the handgun and ammo are locked in seperate parts of the vehicle. (Handgun unloaded in trunk, ammo locked in glove box) It is easier to just get the license.

If you do, please educate yourself on where it is legal to carry concealed. Not allowed in bank, goverment property, schools etc.

Now back to the orginal question. I feel safe out on the water and would not hesitate to stay overnight on either the river or the bay that I boat on and am hoping to start doing this next year! As mentioned, common sense will go along way in keeping you safe. Stay alert, pay attention to others and the area, and take whatever precautions you need to feel safe.