OMC pressurized tanks,conversion of

delvel1

Recruit
Hi all:
I'm new to this forum and I've read quite a few threads about converting pressure tank systems to fuel pump syatems.

Seems like a lot of work and effort involved.
Can't I just add an in line electric fuel pump and use a modern gas tank/ why not block off the air line and go to a single line system?
Your experience and thoughts please.
I have a good running 56' Johnson 7 1/2 HP kicker w/ot the proper fuel tank set up.
It runs fine so long as I sqeeze the primer bulb.

Thanks
delvel1:confused:

jbjennings

Captain
Re: OMC pressurized tanks,conversion of

Delvel,
The fuel pump conversion is VERY easy, will cost about 60 bucks, and is much better than adding an electric fuel pump. Everyone has already been where you are and believe me, the best solution to eliminating the pressure tank is the fuel pump conversion, just like OMC did it.
The electric fuel pump thing looks just awful, will fail if your battery is dead, and otherwise goofy.
Do it right and you will be proud of your work. The best way is to get F-R to make you a cover for your intake bypass so you can mount a factory fuel pump. Another way which works as well but isn't as nice is to use a 3-line pulse vacuum pump. Here's a link to how to do it with the pulse vacuum pump:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/columns/max/5/index.cfm

I can't tell you how strongly I advise you not to go with the electric pump.
Just my opinion,
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'd just get a good working pressure tank. I use them daily and they work fine. Most just need 2 new O rings in the connector and they're good to go.

lindy46

Captain

I'd just get a good working pressure tank. I use them daily and they work fine. Most just need 2 new O rings in the connector and they're good to go.

Agree - a lot less to go wrong with a pressure system as there is no fuel pump to go bad.

kbait

Commander

To replace dried out, rock hard pressure tank connector o-rings, remove connector and get away from all fuel, heat a dental pick w/candle, and cut/melt each o-ring into 4 or 5 pieces and shake 'em out. Grease up the new ones and slide 'em in. Use BRP, and not Sierra o-rings. Sierras are too big.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most elect fuel pumps have too much pressure to be used with a outboard and can be downright dangerous!Theres nothing atall wrong with pressure tanks ,the only reason id not use one for my 18 seahorse would be if i wanted better range and decided to use my 12 gallon plastic tank ,easy change over.

delvel1

Recruit

:)
Delvel,
The fuel pump conversion is VERY easy, will cost about 60 bucks, and is much better than adding an electric fuel pump. Everyone has already been where you are and believe me, the best solution to eliminating the pressure tank is the fuel pump conversion, just like OMC did it.
The electric fuel pump thing looks just awful, will fail if your battery is dead, and otherwise goofy.
Do it right and you will be proud of your work. The best way is to get F-R to make you a cover for your intake bypass so you can mount a factory fuel pump. Another way which works as well but isn't as nice is to use a 3-line pulse vacuum pump. Here's a link to how to do it with the pulse vacuum pump:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/columns/max/5/index.cfm

I can't tell you how strongly I advise you not to go with the electric pump.
Just my opinion,
JBJ

Thanks all for the input. Especially the link to the "Ditch the Pressure tank" or how to convert.
It has complete step by step details that simplfy( is that ever really possible with machines?) the process

Thanks again I'll post how it works out
delvel1

F_R

Supreme Mariner

:)

Thanks all for the input. Especially the link to the "Ditch the Pressure tank" or how to convert.
It has complete step by step details that simplfy( is that ever really possible with machines?) the process

Thanks again I'll post how it works out
delvel1

You think that's easier than this?

Attachments

• Fuel pump on 18hp 1959 2.jpg
    Fuel pump on 18hp 1959 2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0