reverse problems

Tom5059

Recruit
Hey guys
i have i beleive its a 1972 80hp mercury when i put it in rev.it seems like it wants to go but then jumps and all it does then is make a clicking noise a person told me it might be the rev. gear so i went to try and look at it but 1 question i have once the prop is off and the large screw how do you get the carrier assy out or is it maybe some other problem i was trying to weed out others by wanting to look at the gear first but i can't get the carrier assy out does it just pull out or screw out please if any 1 knows or can help would love to hear from you

79XLT

Cadet
Re: reverse problems

After you get the prop off there is a large "nut" that holds the carrier in place. There is a tab washer in front of the nut that has tabs that get folded into one of the slots in the nut to lock the carrier nut in place. You have to tap the tab out of the slot, remove the carrier nut, and then use a puller to pull the carrier out to access the reverse gear.

Tom5059

Recruit

After you get the prop off there is a large "nut" that holds the carrier in place. There is a tab washer in front of the nut that has tabs that get folded into one of the slots in the nut to lock the carrier nut in place. You have to tap the tab out of the slot, remove the carrier nut, and then use a puller to pull the carrier out to access the reverse gear.

Hi there
thank you for replying is there a certain type of puller to use or can you do it with a 2 or 3 jaw puller

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Hey guys
i have i beleive its a 1972 80hp mercury when i put it in rev.it seems like it wants to go but then jumps and all it does then is make a clicking noise a person told me it might be the rev. gear so i went to try and look at it but 1 question i have once the prop is off and the large screw how do you get the carrier assy out or is it maybe some other problem i was trying to weed out others by wanting to look at the gear first but i can't get the carrier assy out does it just pull out or screw out please if any 1 knows or can help would love to hear from you

I think you can avoid pulling the gear if you just try adjusting the shift linkage. Did someone recently change the impeller in the waterpump?
My guess is that the shift linkage is off by one tooth and it's not going fully into gear.
This happened to me once and I just readjusted the shift cable at the engine. The next time I pulled the L/U I corrected the problems.

Tom5059

Recruit

your talking about the 2 cables along side the engine if so once i remove the clip i can extract the turn out on the top cable but the bottom 1 is the one i need and i can't get it out apose to the cradle arm it sits in what would happen if i remove the nut at the far end to get the cable to come up and out or would i be in more of a problem