The ice cream man cometh!

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
You all know the guy, multi-colored van with the menu on the side, music playing, bell ringing, blah, blah, blah. So skillet has started hitting my 'hood everyday now for the last few weeks. So much in fact that the kids have his schedule down and stay as close to my wallet as possible when the time nears. I don't mind so much, it'll be one of those childhood memory moments that they flash back on in the distant future. That's worth a few bucks. But...

I told you that to tell you this...

My 5 year old daughter comes barging in the other night about an hour after the ice cream man has made his run and she starts begging for another dollar. My first thought was that this hoser was making another run down my street, a direct violation of the treaty, and we were going to have a chat... but he was not there. We ask her where he is and she points to a regular car across the street. Now I'm thinking "uh-oh, this just got serious". So we walk out to see what the deal is and only then do we see the Papa Johns sign on top of the car.

She wanted a dollar to buy some pizza from the delivery boy.:rolleyes::D

We tried to explain to her that you had to call to get pizza to which she replied "well hurry up and call them, he's getting ready to leave"

If I could frame a conversation, that one would go over the fireplace.:D

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: The ice cream man cometh!

My buddie told his kids that when the Ice Cream Van is playing music, it means they're all sold out! :D

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

That is an awesome story! Maybe it's time to start a pizza-by-the-slice-truck business :D

My buddie told his kids that when the Ice Cream Van is playing music, it means they're all sold out! :D

That is both seriously cruel and awesomely funny!

aspeck

Staff member

Oh man, Spots, you are in trouble ... a dollar for ice cream, then a dollar for pizza ... she is growing up fast and you will be out of the dollar stage soon. You better seriously think about getting rid of the boat and adding another job or 3 to the schedule to be able to afford what is coming!:eek:;):p

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

If the boat goes, I'll be in it when it does.:p You forget, I got three of the little beggers so the dollar stage never existed for me. I skipped it and went straight to burning Hamiltons.:D

Funny thing, he didn't show up last night but all the kids in the neighborhood were still sitting in their driveways, money in hand. This whole ordeal is like watching a Pavlov's dog experiment.

fishrdan

Admiral

This whole ordeal is like watching a Pavlov's dog experiment.

Play ice cream truck music and all the neighbor hood kids start drooling profusely :D

The one that goes down our block needs to update their tunes, they play Christmas carol's :confused: Yeah, Christmas carols, through the squeaky loud speaker.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

oh Spots....are things all downhill for you now.
I told my bloke, when the ice cream man (Mr Whippy) plays that song, (sure it's Home Home on the Range) that means he has run out of ice creams and that's why he dosen't stop.
It worked.
When we went out, yes we would have a 'real' ice cream....not one of those 'out of the machine jobs', and I would explain it was the only type to eat.
He has never chased Mr Whippy.

When I lived in Singapore back in '70, my daughter and other kids waited for the satay man in the evenings....long pole over shoulder and at one end a charcol fire, the other end-basket....snake and goat meat satays and peanut sauce. She had one every night.
Cheers
Phillip

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

CN, That was without a doubt one of the cutest stories I've heard in a long time. Good for you now. It'll be scary when she starts to associate the other things in life.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Ya definately need to write that story out and put it in a safety deposit box. It'll make a great story during your toast at her wedding. :D

I still remember my old ice cream man. Musta had a 1920's truck with wood-spoked wheels, hard rubber tires, and sleigh bells on the wheels. Real ice cream cones, no such thing as a Bomb Pop back then.