Carburetor Question - My first boat

EricKit

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I'm new to these forums and the entire boating world. I just bought my first boat yesterday cheap and used. First off, since it seems the time the boat has been sitting is important, I'd like to give some background information.

I have a 1973 Glastron boat I just purchased for 2000. This boat has a Ford 302 I/O Motor. It's a volvo I/O. The owner said he had not used it in several months, and before that it wasn't used all winter. He said he had to clean the carburetor once when he had let it sit before. He also said that the last run went low on gas (not empty though). It was supposed to run fine, but when I got it to the lake I had a problem. To start this motor I pumped the gas 3 times to make the fuel mixture richer and then I started with about 3/4 power (Neutral would not work). I can then bring the throttle back near neutral, but as I get close to neutral the engine sounds like it's slowly dieing (barely turning over). If I give more gas it's fine. Near neutral it quits. Running 3/4 it sounds great. I ran it in the water until the engine reached a steady temperature (120-160 depending on speed), and the same problem existed.

I believe this problem is that carburetor, and that I need to clean it. It has a Holley 2300C Carb in it. Do you agree with me that this is probably the problem? I think I could just up the idle speed, but that doesn't seem like it would fix the problem, just avoid it. To clean this carb, do you think I should run a cleaner through it, soak it, or disassemble it and put it back together? I have never done this, but would invest a lot of time to learn how. Please let me know your suggestions, and thank you again.

I'm also having trouble finding an overhaul kit for this carb because of it's old age. I'd have to special order it. On the tag on the carb it says "D1FF LA"

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carburetor Question - My first boat

b4 i took the carb apart i would check what the idle is set at do you have a tach? ( don't have a book here to tell you what it should be set at) one other thing i would do is look at the plugs to see if there is a rich or lean fuel condition thats just where i would start good luck
p.s. idle is set with the boat in the water not on muffs

EricKit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, I was considering upping my idle speed. I just didn't want to up the idle speed since it used to run without the idle speed being modified (I think).

EricKit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, so you dont think it's def the carb?

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

with out being there to see hear and feel the problem the best we can do is give info on what our experiences have lead us to the problems, most people will do the less expensive things first like checking the fuel water separator and filter and look at the plugs to see if they show signs of a rich or lean carb setting, doing that is cheaper then taking the carb apart right off the bat and finding you just needed to gap the plugs and adjust the timing or you can just do all of the above and be done with it and be a happy boater enjoying the last part of summer :) best of luck and happy n safe boating to ya!

proxyx

Banned

idle should be around 650-700, if too low engine will start dying, set this properly before anything else

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carbs on those engines are notorious for problems. You also never told us how and where it was stored.

EricKit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you. Here is more information. Spark plugs replaced a few months ago, stored for the last few months outdoors in Texas under a tarp, allowing a little water to get in near the front of the boat. It was stored on a trailer. It's now in a garage.

erikgreen

Captain

Well, I'd definitely clean the carb out. If you've never done it, it's an interesting experience. Be warned that you will need a lot of attention to detail and experience working with small objects is a plus.

The only way to clean the spots that are really going to be your problem is to soak the parts and then blow out the passages with compressed air.

Alternatively you can pay someone to rebuild it for you. That's what I do, I don't rebuild carbs often enough to make all that time worth saving $100.

Erik

PS: If it dies when shifting to neutral, that's not necessarily the carb, but could be the shift interrupt system killing the motor due to a bad cable.

Surfdancer

Seaman

If you're running the stock ignition, check the dwell and timing before you go into the carb. The Holley carb on the Mercruisers are pretty tough and it could be a simple mixture adjustment is required. But you can't tune the carb if the ignition is out of spec.

I would troubleshoot / tune as follows:

1. With a warm engine, do a compression check. You can't tune a motor if it is worn out.
2. Check the PCV valve - just make sure the hose is in good shape and you are pulling good flow through it. A cracked hose can cause a lean idle if it leaks.
3. Adjust the ignition dwell and timing. I know it's hard to check if the motor stalls at idle, but it needs to be done at idle speeds (650 rpm or so). Make sure the points, rotor and distributor cap aren't worn or damaged.
4. Start adjusting engine idle speed and mixture and see if you can get it to idle smoothly.
5. If 1-4 fail, pull the top off the carb and take a look inside. Is the fuel bowl full of crud? How do the jets and venturi look? If it's dirty, you will probably need to pull the carb, carefully disassemble, clean, assemble and adjust accordingly. A rebuild kit is pretty reasonable but can be very frustrating if it's your first time doing a marine type automotive carburetor.

proxyx

Banned

Talking about carbs... boat sitting over long period of time tend to have all fuel left in the carbs evaporate. All crap collected turns into powder clogging passages... then no amount of fresh fuel can bring it back. As long as they stay wet, it's ok (up to a point). If you want to clean it the cheapest way is to visit carb rebuilder, buy 2 inside gaskets and a fuel filter (15$ altogether + a can of a carb cleaner).