saftey alert questins on stainless steel fuelfill

dtime

Cadet
Just replaced my plactic fuel fill with a stainless steel model and im concrned about static discharge when i filler up at the pump.
do i neeed to install a bonding wire to the deck fill?

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: saftey alert questins on stainless steel fuelfill

It's necessary. And keep the nozzle of the fuel line in contact with the stainless steel fuel fill at all times as you are fueling.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, a bonding wire is required.

Keeping the nozzle in contact with the fuel fitting serves no purpose unless the fuel fill is grounded to the rest of the system.

ABYC standards dictate that all metallic components of the fuel system that are in contact with fuel must be electrically grounded to prevent a static discharge from causing a fire or explosion.

dtime

Cadet

dingbat

thank you for the replay I thought so just needed to be sure. now for the technical part how to bond it the deck filler is in the bow and the tank is in the aft of the boat do I need to bond it to the tank or could I simply bond it to the engine or the Battery? it would be easyer to route the wire down the gunnel the the engine compartment

Dtime
Captain

Ps. if i replace the vent to a stainless one would i need to Bond that aswell?

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wouldn't the gas pump be grounded already be enough?

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wouldn't the gas pump be grounded already be enough?

No it is not. The static charge can jump from the nozzle to the filler neck where the fuel vapor is. SAME thing as filling a gas can inside a vehicle. It is not grounded while in there increasing the risk of static discharge. = BOOM. rant off.

Back to the question of bonding- run a wire from a bolt/screw on the fuel filler neck body back to the engine block. Down the gunwale id a good spot if you don't have access under the deck.

Last edited:

dtime

Cadet

thank you all for the info and i be sure to do this before i go out. what gauge wire would it require and is there any colar coed frequired for the onding wire.

dtime

Cadet

having some trouble spelling tonite sorry

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a plastic tank, rubber hoses, fiberglass boat and a chrome filler neck. How should this be grounded? I sounds like I have a big capacitor.

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You ground to the motor I know it doesn't seem like much but it's all you have. Both the tank fill and the deck fill.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thank you all for the info and i be sure to do this before i go out. what gauge wire would it require and is there any colar coed frequired for the onding wire.

Mine is green and is 14 gauge stranded wire with soldered terminal ends. I'm sure someone will chime in if this is not correct to the book. I think green is a good idea due to it being a ground bond, not to be used or interrupted by anything else.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

grounding the tank as well as the filler cap.....is huge important...HUGE.

any wire will do....just make sure there is a connection...and you can ground it to just about any place that gets back to neg at the batt.......but the motor block is allways great.

it is also a good idea to ground your self off before fueling anything.....just tap somthing metal...like the gas pump or a metal pole at the gas station. then tap the gas nozzel on a metal part of the pump......get into that habit and youll never be sorry.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have a plastic tank, rubber hoses, fiberglass boat and a chrome filler neck. How should this be grounded? I sounds like I have a big capacitor.
You should be grounded thru the fuel level sensor.

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

But the deck fill isn't nor is the tank fill at the other end.

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To the biggest hunk of metal you have.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

But, electrically you're not grounded to anything? All the metal on the boat is isolated from an actual ground source....including the motor.

Ian

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Some boats have a grounding plate located either on their transom below the water line, or the bottom of the hull, which grounds the stray currents to the natural ground".

If your boat doesn't have this feature, then grounding to the engine block does the same thing thru the drive unit.

It's also possible to ground to a metal thru hull fitting, if the boat is not kept in a slip, or mooring. I think that the possible galvanic destruction of the fitting would make it too dangerous to use this method on a "wet" boat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

But, electrically you're not grounded to anything? All the metal on the boat is isolated from an actual ground source....including the motor.

Ian
Where is the ground on your battery connected?

dtime

Cadet

thank you to all

I have bonded the fuel fill to the engine block by pulling a wire to the the engine no troublre runnin the new wire along the inner gunwal straped it to the wire harness

I attatched it to the filler with a wire connector and used one of the stainless steel faseners on the filler neck to atatch it up frount