Salt water vs Fresh water. Who has it best?

Salt water vs Fresh water. Who has it best?

• Total voters

PolishPrince

Seaman
Re: Salt water vs Fresh water. Who has it best?

Fresh is Best. I grew up on the S. Jersey shore and since I was old enough to hold a scraper, my chore was to clean off the barnacles every winter. I'm now on a fresh water lake in Arkansas and don't miss the corrosion, pitted chrome, chalky aluminum and all the other "gifts" you get from salt or brackish water.
But I do crave blue claw crabs every summer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"barnacles every winter" purpose of trailer, or lift.
Off the the Keys in the morning.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Old Salt.

Corrosion affects us all.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

"barnacles every winter" purpose of trailer, or lift.
Off the the Keys in the morning.

Good luck on your Keys trip, TD..try and give us a heads up. Can you still get lobster or is that just forthe commercials now?

Anyway, have a good time!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I opted not to vote. I love them both, for very different reasons. Living in New England, 20 minutes from the ME/NH/MA coast, an hour form the NH lakes region, 2 hours from the ME Lakes region, and 4 hours from the Hudson River/Lake Champlain, with a trailer boat, allows me to enjoy both.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I opted not to vote. I love them both, for very different reasons. Living in New England, 20 minutes from the ME/NH/MA coast, an hour form the NH lakes region, 2 hours from the ME Lakes region, and 4 hours from the Hudson River/Lake Champlain, with a trailer boat, allows me to enjoy both.

Hmmm...seems like having your cake and eating it too...:)

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I'd say I am a 70/30 split for Saltwater/Freshwater...

Living in FL I have the best of both worlds... but for fishing, I prefer saltwater hands down. I am an avid fisherman, and never, not once, in 35ish years of fishing SW, have I come up empty or not gotten what I intended to fish for...

I can hit the flats, and catch all the sea trout I can eat!

FW, forget it... 20 years ago, it was good, I could go out to lake tarpon, and catch my fill of bass... nowadays, I get 1 bass in 4 trips (if I am lucky)... (and same for every other freshwater place i have fished)... it just seems "fished out"...

For water sports, I can go either way... you float a bit better in SW, but sometimes skiing on the lake is nicer because its smoother, and you dont get a face full of Salt when you wipeout hehe...

So if I am fishing I'll take SW... water sports, I can go either way on...

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Salt...Here's a 8" blue crab, tip to tip, the boys caught on the first crab outing of the season.

We were catching croaker two at time, but they remember the first big crab the most.

ilyacrab.jpg

salty87

Commander

fresh water is alot easier but there's nothing like small towns on the coast....restaurants on the water, marinas all over, seems to make people a little less uptight and happier than the inland folks.

i voted fresh since that's what's near me but it's disappearing fast, stupid drought.

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fresh water here, with the occasional jaunt into Salt. We live in Seattle, and boat in Lake Washington. 20 miles long and a mile wide or so in areas.

Plenty of water for us, we occasionally go through the locks and around to the Seattle waterfront etc.

I kind of envy you salt guys, especially the people who go from Florida to Bimini etc.

We have taken cruises all over, and i can imagine what it is like in a boat shorter than say 100 feet, when your nowhere in sight of land, kinda gives me a lonely (what if) feeling.

We were on a Western Caribbean cruise a few yrs ago, and in the middle of the Florida Straight, between Cuba and Florida, there was a sailboat, that couldnt have been over 20 feet. Wow. I have a picture somewhere, i will have to find it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

When I first fell overboard as a boy, I think I cut my toe and instead of blood going out, salt water went in.
I love the salt air, the tides, how the colors of the water change throughout the day and the seasons.
Unlimited cruising possibilities.
Ties to history and primordial nature.
My favorite environment is the salt marsh, which others may find hostile, smelly, or boring. Not to me. it's pure beauty, but a beauty you must respect.
I've had great times in fresh water, canoing West Virginia and Ontario for instance. I love the fresh mountain air, too. And I've enjoyed the desert as well. But I am drawn back to the salt water shoreline, and not just to spawn!

wwcj101

Seaman Apprentice

im a freshwater man. that sea is too big for me.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

both have their place, but to a lazy guy like me, freshwater means more boating. On the lake, it take a few minutes to clean up the boat. A few hours in the salt is a few hours of cleanup (salt and sand, etc).

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

yes!!! Any water is better than no water! I do both.. and a fair bit in brackish.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Freshwater here! Grew up with freshwater lakes in Ill. Wis. and now here in KY.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wavenbye2,
Yo, jdlough the OP, here. So you're 'stuck' in fresh water all your life. I'm 'stuck' in salt or brackish water all my life.

Any 'envies' for the other side? That's the big question for this extra-point essay part of the poll. How do you see the other side? What do you think you're missing?

I see you fresh guys as boating in a big, clean pool. And more girls. Somehow, thinking about freshwater boating, in my mind the weather is always nicer.

And yep, in the poll you only got the choice of one or the other.

No 'brackish' answers.....

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Salt=fishing
Fresh=everything else

Fresh water is just so much more enjoyable to be in. Saltwater just isn't pleasant. I went camping on a small island for 3 days without freshwater(had drinking water) so this may have alot to do with my opinion. Saltwater just sticks to you.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

freshwater for me. im 51 years old and i can still remember waking up on the shore of the atlantic when i was a kid and the smell !it was great to me !

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bingo!

We have it all don't we !!

Head over to the seacoast for a romp out in the ocean, or head up to "boatville" USA lake Winni..

I honestly prefer Salt, yes the maintenence is higher, BUT the warmth and relaxation of the open seas is my preference.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Bingo!

We have it all don't we !!

Head over to the seacoast for a romp out in the ocean, or head up to "boatville" USA lake Winni..

I honestly prefer Salt, yes the maintenence is higher, BUT the warmth and relaxation of the open seas is my preference.

Only downside is the short season... Sure makes me embrace good weather with open arms though. I enjoy outdoor activities (motor-boating, sailing, swimming, canoeing, cycling, hiking, motorcycling, etc.) every chance I get. Wife and I used to ski which made New England simply perfect for us, but it got too expensive when we had a family so we gave it up to start motor-boating more seriously. Now the only thing good about cold weather season is the NFL...

Ever see my boat on Winnipesaukee? I'm there often. My handle here is my boat's name.