Hand Held VHF Radio - Li-Ion or AA Battery?

kawiski

Cadet
I think most hand hand VHF radios come with rechargeable Li Ion battery that is specific to that radio. My worry is, what if the battery is dead when you really need the radio and there is no way to recharge it from where you are? Alslo the replacement Li Ion battery for that specific radio might not be avail or relatively expensive if avail.

If the radio takes alkali AA, finding/carrying spare AA batteries is no issue. Rechargeable AA battery seems even better.

Any thoughts on Li-Ion vs. AA battery operated hand held VHF radio?
Also, if you like your hand held radio, what do you have and why?

I already have a fixed mount on my boat and am shopping for a hand held one as for a back up. A

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Hand Held VHF Radio - Li-Ion or AA Battery?

I've seen some with an accessory AA battery case.

Splat

Lieutenant

I have a Icom M-72 and love it. It has a lithium battery pack. It also has a cradle for charging that sits on my desk. When I get home I pop it in and its ready for the next outing. The pack on mine I believe is rated for 12 hours, and I dont tx very often.

Also mine can be recharged from a 12v outlet should the need arise.

If you have a fixed mount, then there would be no reason to leave the handheld turned on while out and about. Should the need arise you can always reach for it on your belt and flick it on. Use the fixed mount to monitor under normal conditions. Using this system combined with a charging cradle, there would really never be a possibility for a dead battery.

Personally I feel AA battery packs are cheap. They look cheap and feel cheap, just not what I'm looking for on something that may save my life. I don't know why, I'm just leary of them. I depend on handhelds all day every day at both of my jobs, they both get heavy use and last all day, they both use a rechargeable pack. Also there is a greater possibility of water intrusion into the battery compartment with the wear and tear on the seal with changing batteries. Another thought, where you going to keep batteries if the boat goes down. Are you going to chance it that you remembered to put fresh batteries in before you left that morning.

Although thinking about it, AA batteries may be a better choice if you plan on leaving the handheld in a bail out bag, then you wouldn't have to remember to grab it out of the charger when going out.

I guess 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

One thing I'm sure of, you wouldn't be dissapointed with an icom m-72, but they are a bit pricey.

Bill

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Li-Ion batteries give almost full output...right up to the point of severe discharge. Conventional batteries have the traditional decreasing discharge curve.

Giving the importance of having a radio that has the power to transmit for as long as possible, I would prefer to have the Li-Ion powered available!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I like the AA option the best. The queation is how long do you plan on keeping the radio. 2 or 3 years go with the Li-ion but if you plan on keeping it as long as it still works go with the AA. If you use the radio every week all year round the Li-ion may last 3 years but sooner or later it will fail. The cost of a replacement battery will be $ 50 to $100. If you go with AA you use Ni-Mh battery and can get 4 for about $10 but it will need 10. Thing is when a battery dies you can replace just that one. The Li-on are usually in a pack and you have to replace the whole pack. The older the radio gets the harder it will be to find and the more it will cost. Just a note I repair laptops and most come with a 3 year warranty, but the LI-on battery is only one year.
If you go with the AA the radio may be a little larger. Most would see this as a negitive but I kind of see it as a positive. The larger radio means will likely have a larger Speaker and LCD making it easy to hear and see on a boat.

I have 2 west marine handhelds with AA battery. They came with Rechargable Ni-Mh batteries. It has a drop in charger that will charge on AC or a 12 volt DC cord. They are both 5 years old and so far have not had to replace a single battery. Ni-Mh battery also supply there 1.25 volt output until the very end.