5.7L OMC Cobra questions

wyocobra

Seaman Apprentice
A few weeks ago I bought an '87 Baja Sunsport 196 with a 5.7L OMC Cobra I/O. I have only been able to take it out on the water once so far and everything worked great. The only problem I've run across is that the engine runs very cool. It never got over about 130 degrees, even when at WOT for a couple minutes. Running the engine in my driveway with muffs, the engine warms up in a reasonable amount of time, but still only hits about 130 degrees. I believe the gauge and sending unit are fine because the water hoses are just luke warm to the touch.

Now, it should be noted that I live at high elevation. Here in Cheyenne we are at about 6200 ft. The lake I ran on in Colorado is roughly 6000. Typically, an engine loses about 30% of it's power up here when compared to sea level. That would make my 260 hp 5.7L more like 180-190 hp. Is it possible that the engine is running cool because of the lack of air and diminished power? Or is it more likely that the thermostat is stuck open? I checked the timing and it was set at 14 degrees advance. I figure that's probably about right considering the manual says to run 10 degrees at sea level on higher octane (89) fuel. I'm running 91 octane.

Also, the boat didn't seem to want to go faster than about 45 mph (even after playing with the trim). That was based on the speedometer, which I realize isn't the most accurate thing in the world. However, most guys claim with the same engine/boat they can easily eclipse 60 mph. I've known a couple people with 4.3L Mercruiser engines that say they can run 45 mph up at this elevation with a similar-sized boat. The tach didn't work when I had my boat out, but I have since fixed that. I understand that running in the recommended RPM range will make a big difference, so that lack of information won't help. However, the boat does still have the original 14.5" 19 pitch aluminum prop installed. I am planning on taking it out again over Labor Day weekend, so I'll see what it's doing with a working tach.

Any ideas?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5.7L OMC Cobra questions

Any ideas?
Howdy,

Yes. remove and test your thermostat.

Also, the boat didn't seem to want to go faster than about 45 mph (even after playing with the trim
You actually lose about 3.5% power per 1000ft above sea level.

So we're talking about 20-25% power loss........but remember that in a boat a loss of 20% hp will really drop the top speed...

If you're getting it to go 45 mph at 6000 MSL, call it good.

now having said that, what are you getting for WOT RPM? The 5.7 will want to turn around 4800 max at sea level.

You can use a prop slip calculator to roughly calculate prop pitch. If your boat will ALWAYS operate at high alt you might need a lower (gear) ratio drive. I.E. instead of a 1.6:1 drive, you might need a 2.00:1 ratio.

If that boat has always ran at high alt, the PO might have already done that but don't count on it.

For the Cobra, you'll need to get the correct year service manual for it and the model number will be indicated as well as the drive ratio. My guess it that it's geared a little "high" too.

Also, don't believe your pitot speedometer. get a handheld GPS to be sure and ensure that your tach is accurate.

Cheers,

Rick

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Someone may have removed the thermostat.It should have a 160* T-stat in it.
I would pull the housing and take a look.

After fixing the Tach what kind of RPMs is it turning?

wyocobra

Seaman Apprentice

Yes. remove and test your thermostat.

Yeah, I know I need to do that. Haven't really had time to work on the boat lately. If it is a bad, do these things use standard GM thermostats? Or will I need to order one online or something?

...now having said that, what are you getting for WOT RPM? The 5.7 will want to turn around 4800 max at sea level.

That's the problem. The tach wasn't working the first time I took her out. I fixed it and I'm hoping the wife will let me take the boat out for a run tomorrow to see what RPM it's at before we go on our Labor Day trip. I think the owner's manual said the peak operating range was 4400-4600 RPM.

You can use a prop slip calculator to roughly calculate prop pitch. If your boat will ALWAYS operate at high alt you might need a lower (gear) ratio drive. I.E. instead of a 1.6:1 drive, you might need a 2.00:1 ratio.

If that boat has always ran at high alt, the PO might have already done that but don't count on it.

Thanks for the link. I don't believe the original owner changed the gears. He did throw in a 17 pitch prop that he said he would bolt on if he was pulling skiers, but he claimed the boat lost top speed with it.

For the Cobra, you'll need to get the correct year service manual for it and the model number will be indicated as well as the drive ratio. My guess it that it's geared a little "high" too.

I'm working on finding an original service manual. I have been told by a couple people that the '88 and '89 manuals were the same, so I might just pick one of those up. I did buy an '87 parts manual that has the gear ratios listed.

Also, don't believe your pitot speedometer. get a handheld GPS to be sure and ensure that your tach is accurate.

I plan on taking my GPS next time I go out and will let you know what it is actually running. Thanks!

wyocobra

Seaman Apprentice

Someone may have removed the thermostat.It should have a 160* T-stat in it.
I would pull the housing and take a look.

After fixing the Tach what kind of RPMs is it turning?

Is it common for people to remove the thermostat? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I know I'm not being much help because I don't have any idea what RPM I was running. The tach was jumping up and down and the highest it read at WOT was about 3200 RPM. It had to be turning faster than that, judging by the sound and speed. I found a loose connection, repaired it, and now the tach appears to work perfectly (testing it in my driveway).

Like I said, I'm really hoping to take the boat out for a little run tomorrow to get a better idea. I would also like to play with the timing a little and see what it likes. I will say that the engine seems to be tuned very well, though. There was no hesitation at any throttle position out on the water and it idles very smooth. My guess is that it's probably running a little rich, but I don't really want to mess with the carb too much seeing as it runs so well.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yes,people do remove them when they have an overheat issue.
On a Cobra its usually the water pump impeller in the drive that starts the problems.
The Cobra has a very easy impeller to change.

Here is a manual you can download free for the Cobras,
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mzdzzqjmdzd

An auto T-stat will not work.

wyocobra

Seaman Apprentice

Yes,people do remove them when they have an overheat issue.
On a Cobra its usually the water pump impeller in the drive that starts the problems.
The Cobra has a very easy impeller to change.

That makes sense. I was trying to figure out why anyone would remove a thermostat.

An auto T-stat will not work.

Thanks. I see from the picture why a standard auto thermostat won't work. That also explains why I thought the illustration of the t-stat in my parts manual looked odd. :)

We did take the boat out on Labor Day weekend and it was a blast! I backed the timing off a little to 12 degrees ATDC because I was dropping to about 3500 feet of elevation. With the 14.5" 3-blade 19 pitch prop, it was only running about 3800-4000 RPM at WOT. I was still able to coax 46 MPH out of it (3 people on board) on the GPS after playing with the trim a little. Swapped out the prop for a 15" 3-blade 17 pitch one and then it was running right at 4500 RPM. With the new prop the boat was also able to touch 50 MPH on the GPS (still 3 on board). I don't know why the original owner ever went back to the 19 pitch prop. After running the 17, I will never swap back unless I tear the prop up and need something to limp home on. The 17 pitch woke it up! The boat comes out of the hole MUCH better, seems to be getting better fuel mileage, the engine isn't laboring and the top speed increased. I'm happy. :D