help!!!! to much paint!!!!

NismoCobia

Cadet
so i am starting a new project on an 18 ft aluminium starcraft there have been multiple layers of bottom paint applied since before i got it. its off the trailer now..... i am trying to remove the layers of paint from the bottom so i can give a good coat myself. this has proven to be very difficult... ive tried the aircraft coating remover along with a putty knife ive tried pressure washing it off and even heating the paint with a torch.... does anybody have any suggestions. i cant wait to start the good stuff but this must be done first i would imagine
thanks for any input you might have

seaman65

Cadet
Re: help!!!! to much paint!!!!

wow if that aircraft stuff didn't work then I don't know what to tell you. I used it on a motorcycle I have and it not only removed the paint from the parts I was working on but the fumes 'peeled' other freshly paint pieces that were sitting near by...

If it were me, I'd sand the edges smooth taper and use some filler prep paint and then sand and coat the whole thing and call it good. I hate to say it but some times the old paint is what keeps something together...lol
Good luck
M.

NismoCobia

Cadet

yeah that was another worry of mine is the fact that the paint might be the only reason its not leaking!:confused:

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem with my '59 Texas Maid. Multiple coats of paint and primer, and it was not coming off without a fight. I would've done what seaman65 suggested, but I wanted to polish the sides to a mirror finish. There was no way I was going to get fifty years of paint from the seams and around the rivets by hand, so I bit the bullet and had it soda blasted.

It was expensive, but, to me, totally worth it. Even the guy that did the blasting said he had trouble getting some of the oldest paint off. It took him five hours and would've taken me five months (at least)!

Good luck, and post some pics when you get a chance.

I'm sure Rickairmedic, NorthBeach and the rest of the Starcraft crew will be along to welcome you shortly!

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

First let me say I haven't done an aluminum boat hull, but I have done aluminum parts the way I'm about to tell you. I have an attachment wand for my pressure washer that turns it into a sandblaster. I got it here. It works very well and uses ordinary sand without the worry of airborne hazards since it is delivered using water. It is easy to control and on the aluminum parts I have done it doesn't blast holes in it. It also doesn't warp the metal due to heat since the part will be soaking wet.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Have you tried spray-on oven cleaner?...the old-fashioned kind.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

keep that torch away from that tin can!:eek:
Alum warps very easily...

Bifflefan

Commander

if all else fails then there is always the sand blaster...
a good shop around here will do it for about 150.00. and they do a good job too, no damage to the alum.