Rope lights under the gunwales

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rope lights under the gunwales

On my Maxum, there's an unused switch labeled ACY that is already wired to a 5A fuse in the fuse box. I just connected them to the output of that switch.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had been looking for lights for quite a while. Thanks for the thread. I got the red ones. I was afraid that the other colors would effect my night vision. Red lights were all we used on the bridge of the ships I was on. I will get some pictures after I get them installed.

jkust

Rear Admiral

On my Maxum, there's an unused switch labeled ACY that is already wired to a 5A fuse in the fuse box. I just connected them to the output of that switch.

I think they added that the model year after mine. I guess the Anchor/Nav switch is the only option for me. That is a nice mod.

Toxarch

Seaman

If you aren't in a hurry to buy, look for LED rope lights around Christmas time and see if they can be cut and run on 12 volt. Then wait until after Christmas when the lights go on sale. You can get a lot for cheap.

fishrdan

Admiral

If you aren't in a hurry to buy, look for LED rope lights around Christmas time and see if they can be cut and run on 12 volt.

I bought one of those 120VAC rope lights to see how it would look in the boat, something like $2-3 on clearance. It had incandescent bulbs instead of LED's so no dice there. There maybe 120V LED rope lights, but not at Wally World last year.

Just sayin, check before you buy. I knew it wouldn't work with 12V, just wanted to see how it would look in the boat.

Toxarch

Seaman

I looked for long 120vac LED rope lights a few years ago. The only large commercial chain that I could find them in was Target. They weren't cheap, until they were on sale after Christmas.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yeah, the 120VAC one I got was normally $10, bet the LED ones are $20-30.

It was a long one though, went from the bow to stern of my boat with excess left over, guessing 25'.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you ever put the lights behind your speakers so that your speakers light up?

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had been looking for lights for quite a while. Thanks for the thread. I got the red ones. I was afraid that the other colors would effect my night vision. Red lights were all we used on the bridge of the ships I was on. I will get some pictures after I get them installed.

I tried some green ones from Ozium. Little bugs that look like miniature mayflies attacked them. They also screwed up my night vision but they weren't angled down enough. I'm gonna try red. I bought both. The thing about LEDs is the narrow spectrum of light they put out can be kinda creepy.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those look great. Where is the bar and the women? Ha ha Just kidding mate!

sprintst

Commander

Oh I can post some nice pics all right... I'm pretty sure the moderator would get to them first :)

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I think they added that the model year after mine. I guess the Anchor/Nav switch is the only option for me. That is a nice mod.

Just look on the iboats catalog pages and find an accessory switch the looks similar. You can just install it as an add on. You don't need a factory location to add lighting as long as it is fused and installed correctly.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I used a set of the HF fiberglass wire snake kits to hold the wires and rope lights up under the gunwales of my boat....

You just made me think of a good use for those old stainless steel helm control cable cores I just couldn't throw away when I replaced the old Johnson with the Suzuki...:)

Plus I have been waiting for a chance to use the "lightbulb" icon LOL

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I tried some green ones from Ozium. Little bugs that look like miniature mayflies attacked them. They also screwed up my night vision but they weren't angled down enough. I'm gonna try red. I bought both. The thing about LEDs is the narrow spectrum of light they put out can be kinda creepy.

Q: Is it true that night bugs won't be attracted to red lights?

:) I think the otherworldly look of LEDs are sorta cool and high tech looking...

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Yeah, the 120VAC one I got was normally $10, bet the LED ones are $20-30...

NOw they are about $5 - $10 - I thought of trying this as I read an article about LEDs being of low-voltage and that 120V applications were stepped down in voltage and were also DC since they were diodes.

Well. I can tell you that the strand of 4.8 watt LED christmas lights I got from my local ACE Hardware do not work on 12V.

Any thoughts?

marsplecko68

Cadet

NOw they are about $5 - $10 - I thought of trying this as I read an article about LEDs being of low-voltage and that 120V applications were stepped down in voltage and were also DC since they were diodes.

Well. I can tell you that the strand of 4.8 watt LED christmas lights I got from my local ACE Hardware do not work on 12V.

Any thoughts?

The leds I have are 5 volt 25 mA. From what I've read about it hooking up a set up (transformer/resistors) ment for 120v AC will drop the output voltage to the Leds to low to illuminated them. Try wiring up the Leds directly to the 12v supply with a 680 ohm resistor inbetween.