Burden of Ownership

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Burden of Ownership

Well, first be honest with yourself about your ability. If you're mechanical, the best way to learn and get a service manual and start doing things that need done. Start small and work up. As you do smaller jobs and work your way towards larger ones, you'll get an understanding of how things work. You'll learn something new every time you tackle a job. You'll also start making "boat friends" as you keep doing the hobby. Some of them are bound to do their own work.

Boat owners tend to be friendly. And most of the ones I know drink some sort of fun beverage. So when one of your new boating buddies mentions they plan to do some work on the boat, offer to bring a case or bottle of whatever the like to drink if they let you hang out and help. Before you know it, you'll be the guy who knows how to do his own work and boating newbies will be asking you if they can come help you work.

Also consider keeping ease of maintenance in mind when you pick your first boat. Opinions vary, but I've always found outboards in general and 2 stroke outboards specifically easier to work on. Get you manual and don't be scared to do stuff yourself. Just do it right. Avoid rigging stuff unless you really have to in order to get home. Fix things properly. You'll be an expert in no time. ;-)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

as the old saying goes... two happiest days in a mans life. the day he buys a boat, and the day he sells that boat!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, first be honest with yourself about your ability. If you're mechanical, the best way to learn and get a service manual and start doing things that need done. Start small and work up. As you do smaller jobs and work your way towards larger ones, you'll get an understanding of how things work. You'll learn something new every time you tackle a job. You'll also start making "boat friends" as you keep doing the hobby. Some of them are bound to do their own work.

Boat owners tend to be friendly. And most of the ones I know drink some sort of fun beverage. So when one of your new boating buddies mentions they plan to do some work on the boat, offer to bring a case or bottle of whatever the like to drink if they let you hang out and help. Before you know it, you'll be the guy who knows how to do his own work and boating newbies will be asking you if they can come help you work.

Also consider keeping ease of maintenance in mind when you pick your first boat. Opinions vary, but I've always found outboards in general and 2 stroke outboards specifically easier to work on. Get you manual and don't be scared to do stuff yourself. Just do it right. Avoid rigging stuff unless you really have to in order to get home. Fix things properly. You'll be an expert in no time. ;-)

Thanks for the comments. I will start with the basic maintenance and anything more complicated I will leave it up to the pros at the marine maintenance shop

I havent seen the original poster reply so I hope I didn't hijack their thread.

"as the old saying goes... two happiest days in a mans life. the day he buys a boat, and the day he sells that boat!"

The above comment is depressing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Some of the disappointed (disillusioned) boaters are those who expect boats to be like cars--sit down, turn key, operate, turn off key, walk away. A boat is as much like a car as a horse is like a motorcycle.
I tell people it's not like buying a 4 year old Honda Accord; it's like buying a 40 year old MG.
The other disappointed ones are those who have (or get) babies and little children--they make boating, generally, way too much work, and you better not leave them with the wife while you go out!
Those who want occasional use, no maintenance, hop in and go, shoudl join the boating clubs.
Likewise owning a boat with someone else makes a lot of sense. You aren't going to use it that much and it's great when you have to share expenses. I have one I own with 7 other people, so even replacing the motor isn't that bad!

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

You see a lot of that in any hobby. I've been in the motorcycle business for 14 years (until I got laid off). It's much the same way. People think one day they want to be bikers, buy a bike and go riding. They get rained on, or their bike break, and it's not as cool as they thought it was going to be and the "For Sale" sign goes up.

Craigslist exists for that very reason. Not just boats. Motorcycles, bicycles, golf clubs, tennis rackets, high end espresso machines, whatever. People get into hobbies on a lark. Then realize they're more work than they thought. Or they have a kid or 2, that also can make certain hobbies hard to do.

Sometimes you get into something and it's life long. Other things are just phases. For me, motorcycles and boats are life long. I grew up on both. Golf was a passing hobby. So was, well, every other hobby I've had. Like most folks, I only have time and money for a few hobbies that I do whole hog.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Spent the last 30 years with skydiving as my hobby. Not conducive to family fun. I've wanted a boat all my life. At 50 I decided to pull the trigger. Bought a "relatively" inexpensive rig to learn on. Was it the right decision?

I can tell you about relaxing evenings after a tough day of work...bottle of wine...cheese...and time with the GF to relax.

I can tell you about the look on my kid's faces when we're blasting around on the tube.

I can tell you about the satisfaction of learning about something new.

Yea...it was the right decision.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

it's like i tell my six year old about trying new food--try it if you like it stick to it if you don't spit it out--no harm no foul:D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

to go back to the original question: In addition to the boats that don't get used much to begin with, the "lonely boats" are often owned by someone whose life has changed--maybe for the better, they got a bigger boat but kept the old one (why I have 3 now) or the children grew up and have their own lives now--or their own boats.
Plus when they get some age on them, boats can (usually?) become a huge PITA, and it gets discouraging when you have to spend 3 hours fixing for 1 hour of riding. ethanol is the biggest culprit. And one the boat gets undependable, you don't use it, when you drive with the constant fear of breakdown.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Edit:Wow, after going back and reading this, it is long, but I think worth it.
Hope it helps a little. I tried to break it down for ya.

Well, a boat is a wood lined hole in the water into which you pour money.

Having said that, and I believe it, I am on my third boat in 17 years. This does not include my fishing boat (that HAS sat dry for the last two). I could not imagine life any other way!

There are three types of boat owners. The type of boat is not at issue.
1) The occasional, let's go out fair weather boater.
2) The weekender who is out for a while.
3) The one who goes out in anything shy of a lightning storm every chance he gets.

I am #3.
You either will or will not like boating. Some people get a bad boat and are done for life, others step up and give it another go.
Yes, boats cost $$. But it is not all repair. Preventative maintenance is required, but that helps keep the repair costs down.

I spend more money on cleaning supplies than I do on maintenance. Now, fuel is another story. I spend on average $150 a week on that. And more if I go to the Mississippi. Then there is food and beverage. Play toys as well as required equipment and gear. There is no budget when it comes to our boat. If it's nice, we're out. If we or one of the kids wants it, we buy it. Our vacations are based on our taking our boat and spending every day on it.

You can regulate what you spend by the way you operate the boat.
My biggest problem when starting out was everyone wanting to go and play all day and come time to fuel the boat, they were gone. I do not have that problem an longer. You are the captain, you make the rules.

I really enjoy working on my boat also. Does not matter if I am changing oil, replacing a gimbal bearing, waxing it, or adding something new to her. But that is me. I learned the hard way to work on boats. What to and not to do. Ask questions and don't be afraid to look stupid. Lord knows I've had my share of that.

A lot of people on CL are looking to make a buck on something they know is junk. That is why they don't want it. When I bought my two used boats, I bought private. I looked for the seller that was letting everything go with the boat. I figured if you are selling your boat outright, you must be getting out of boating and you won't need the gear. The people who wanted to keep everything, I figured had a junk boat that the dealer would not take in for trade or give them what they thought is was worth, therefore, they kept the gear for the next boat.
My boat now, was new. I kept my gear and the dealer took my old one on trade. I totaled my first one, so no need to sell it.

Good luck:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Some of the disappointed (disillusioned) boaters are those who expect boats to be like cars--sit down, turn key, operate, turn off key, walk away. A boat is as much like a car as a horse is like a motorcycle.
I tell people it's not like buying a 4 year old Honda Accord; it's like buying a 40 year old MG.
The other disappointed ones are those who have (or get) babies and little children--they make boating, generally, way too much work, and you better not leave them with the wife while you go out!
Those who want occasional use, no maintenance, hop in and go, shoudl join the boating clubs.
Likewise owning a boat with someone else makes a lot of sense. You aren't going to use it that much and it's great when you have to share expenses. I have one I own with 7 other people, so even replacing the motor isn't that bad!

This post about sums it up right here. I had the baby situation last year, but now that our son is almost 2 he loves going out on the boat and I'm sure his enjoyment will only grow with time. I'll tell you though, I definitely pondered selling the whole works numerous times last year.

If you buy smart you can "try" boating with little risk. Just as a good running 4WD truck is always worth $2k so is an aluminum fishing boat. A used smallish rig with a 10-40HP outboard should easily be worth what you paid for it even after a few years.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is an old saying that goes like this: "The two happiest days in your life are the day you bought your boat and the day you sold it!" Now whether you subscribe to that theory is strictly personal. People buy things for various reasons. Sometimes their decision is based on a false idea of what the outcome will be. Boating is an expensive recreation so what you buy, how you intend to use it, and how much you spend are critical decisions in the buying process. Yes, lots of people buy boats and use them very infrequently. Others buy them and use them often. It's all about how you feel about the recreation. If you are unsure about boat ownership you had best do some real serious lifestyle analysis or you too may be strapping yourself to a financial burden.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I can provide a good example of how to enjoy boating for nearly no cost at all. I have a 12' aluminum boat that has been in my family for years so I didn't pay anything for it, I inherited it. That being said boats like mine can be purchased for <300 anywhere in the country.

I run an electric motor= no gas, oil, spark plugs or anything else to buy. I plug my battery into the charger and pay a nominal amount on my electric bill to do this and I also get commended for running an environmentally friendly operation although that is an added bonus.

I launch at free sites so I don't pay for that, really all I pay for is worms, fishing line, lures, beer and pretzels, and that is all optional:)

I routinely catch more fish, have more fun and use my boat WAY more(3-4 times a week weather permitting) than people that pay ridiculous amounts of money for new or used boats. I also have a canoe that I paid $100 for that is absolutely free to operate it doesn't even have to be registered with the gov't:D

I'd recommend this approach to anybody that is apprehensive about throwing down a chunk of cash for a hobby they may not enjoy...you can always upgrade to a bigger rig with an outboard if you want to tube, ski, fish big water or just cruise around once you know you are a "real boater" not a weekend warrior who just likes the "idea" of boat ownership.

I love all aspects of boating and will be buying a bigger rig myself very soon, one problem I have is my garage is too small but I'm going to get one that barely fits so that I can restore it over the winter.

To the person who said "the two happiest days are when a man buys a boat and when he sells it" I agree with the first half of the statement and think it's sad that people feel getting rid of a boat is a happy occasion.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I will argue that the ongoing maintenance/repair comments are intimidating a little on these boards because of the nature of forum being older boats. I bought my 2003 Chaparral last year for under 20k then needed a tow vehicle and bought an expensive truck based suv to tow it. Other than winterization/required annual maintenance, I haven't spent a dime yet so for me the "it needs maintenance and isn't running" argument doesn't hold true but the trade off was spending a lot of cash up front. The fact is the kids keep us busy so we rarely boat in town though we are 3 blocks from a lake access. Besides that I have realized I hate trailering the boat and going to boat ramps. I love being a boat owner (and now an SUV owner) but we are in the fair weather, between sports, not during the week category. I would not call it a burdon but a real committment to be a true boater. For us a lake place would be the answer...no towing, go out whenever.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Two things:

1. Albatross?
Call me cynical, but I think these folks are telling what they believe to be white lies so that when you call them back with problems they can beg off. In other words they don't want to lie outright about the boat or it's problems, so instead they will lie about the history or why they have no knowledge. They are playing dumb.

2. Should you become a boat owner?
Often people want something and they are not entirely clear why. In fact most of our pursuits are driven by intangible "touchstones" that might include many things like the thrill of acquisition, having something to show for our work, a means of generating quality family time, prestige, relief of boredom, etc. IF you can identify what that driving motive or "touchstone" is, you can often satisfy it in a more practical fashion. For instance, if you believe you want to buy a boat, ask yourself why. You may conclude it is mostly in order to spend some quality time with the kids. If so, maybe you rent a boat a couple times. If it does turn out to be fun, and everybody wants to keep going, then you might consider buying one. On the other hand if the interest in the boat peters out, it is not satisfying the touchstone for you, and you need to look elsewhere to scratch that itch. The key is to get at the touchstone before you go to unnecessary expense. Does this make sense?

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A true boater will tell you it's not a hobby it's a way of life.
I had dreamed all my life about owning a boat.
After 18 years of marriage I was finally able to afford my first boat, I paid $900 for a 1980 stingray bowrider.
The boat was mechanically sound but not very pretty, once I stripped off the old ugly paint and repainted it I loved it.
I have been addicted ever since.
When people get their first taste of boating they either get "The Bug" or they don't.
Just because you own a boat doesn't mean you are a boater.
Where we live we have lake access (Don't own frontage), so its a 5 minute trip to the launch and then I can moor during the day.
We have no fees, so it is reasonably economical for us.
Boating is the only hobby I have so the wife has no problem with the money.
I tell all my friends that want to get into boating to figure out what they can afford to spend on a boat, then multiply that by .70 so as not to overextend themselves with possible unforseen repairs.

This is so true.

It is a way of life. We take our boat out every weekend, Cloud or Shine, if it rains when your out there, hey your still boating.

I never winterize our boats cause we take it out in the winter on nice(non rainy, snowy, or real windy days) I do the rinse and WD40 action and flush. Why let the thing sit around all winter when it doesnt have to. Besides having the lake to yourself on a calm winter day is awsome, flat skiing water rocks.

I learned the hard way about craigslist boats. "Oh yeah, Just had her serviced" first time out BANG, towed in. $2500 later i had a crash course in marine mechanics. Now i work on my own sterndrive.

$100 or so an outing is worth the stress relief and fun with the family.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

In our case day trips are out of the question, it is a pain in the butt to go through all the motions for a couple of hours of relaxation, BUT I have found I will weather the anxiety for a couple of days of cruising, the nights anchoured
at the beaches with friends and neighbours or just me and the wife, does make it worthwhile.
rob

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Plus when they get some age on them, boats can (usually?) become a huge PITA, and it gets discouraging when you have to spend 3 hours fixing for 1 hour of riding. ethanol is the biggest culprit. And one the boat gets undependable, you don't use it, when you drive with the constant fear of breakdown.

This is what boat insurance is for. I keep up on preventitive maintenance. but never know what tow rope or log is lurking just under the surface.

Blown drive? fubar'ed carb, bont wont start. "Hello vessel assist, come tom me please, yes i paid my $150

I never fear taking the boat out, that takes away its purpose

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Selling a boat is only a happy day if you have your sights on your next one!

When we sold my last boat as a college student, to help pay tuition, It was as if old yeller died.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Edit:1) The occasional, let's go out fair weather boater.
2) The weekender who is out for a while.
3) The one who goes out in anything shy of a lightning storm every chance he gets.

lol - well I'm a #3 also, funny you mention the lightning storms..... twice, I came in JUST as the rain came pouring down - a sprinkle as I neared the ramp, downpour as I retrieved, and lightning as I drove home... However, we had a tornado here last week, this is a RARE sight indeed.... (North Bay)
tornadoshot0.jpg

and I was out shortly before this hit!

tornado00.jpg

Back on topic tho, even thought I have my boat, and I love it - I am always snooping CL and kijiji looking for a fun project to pick up cheap...

I don't consider boating expensive at all.... I'm 2 minutes from the ramp, no launch fees, I have a big back yard I can store it in winter, or the use of my dad's covered farm storgae shed if I choose.. I have a 2 stroke OB, which is pretty low maintenance, costs are gas and oil mostly...

Of the 5 boats I have owned, only 1 was a lemon, and I regretted that purchase from the day I bought it... and it CL had ben around back then, it would have landed on it for sure.. and it sat in my yard for an entire fall and winter with a for sale sign until it finally went. That experience soured my (now ex-wife) from boating, and eventually, I had to divorce her to get back into it! :) Best decision ever!