Security Systems

seegertjr

Recruit
We have recently had a bunch of boat thefts in our area in which boats are towed from mooring bouy's then ditched hours/days later without their electronics/valuables. Because we leave our boat on our bouy we are very concerned!

Does anyone have any information regarding security systems for boats? I read an article that stated to be concerned about false alarms when on bouys and in marina's because of the boats movement... Also, I don't want some cheesy system, but yet don't want to spend $$. I would say $1000-$2000?? Does that seem reasonable? I have looked online and found items that have high water alarms, motion sensors (but again, the false alarms?), GPS systems to track a boat...

Anyone have any information or experiance with these things?

Thanks in advance!

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Security Systems

The cheapest I've seen is my Smith & Wesson 30/30. You sit in the boat and wait for the burglars to try and take it. Seriously though, I'm not sure if the buoy is at your house, I would invest in flood lights aimed at the boat. There's not much you can do if the boat is being towed.

seegertjr

Recruit

The cheapest I've seen is my Smith & Wesson 30/30. You sit in the boat and wait for the burglars to try and take it.

Ha! Wish I had the time for that! We have flood lights but our neighbors were worried that they would actually draw attention to all our boats in the bay here...

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

I don't see how, the burglars probably scope boats out in the day time, and are less likely to attempt a theft with a bunch of spotlights. If you have multiple neighbors, maybe you guys should get together and do shifts, one night each, patrolling the water in front of the boats. I would, heck, if my boat was a quarter of the price of yours, I would put a tv in that thing and stay out there all night to ensure the safety.

Either that, or get a very good insurance policy and document everything, with receipts.