Oil 59 Evinrude

pdcauseway

Cadet
Guys Can You Help Me One More Time. I'm Bringing Back To Life A 35hp Evinrude. I Finished It And It Runs, I Mixed Reg Car Motor Oilwith Gas[6 Gals To 1 Quart. I Was Wondering Would Marine Oil Or Syn Oil Smoke Less Than Reg Oil And Would Syn Oil Be Bad For An Old Motor. Thanks For The Info In The Past .never Had A Boat Before But Now A Proud Owner Of A 1959 14 Ft Lake N Sea W 35 Hp Evinrude.can't Wait To Put In Water Try Here Out!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Oil 59 Evinrude

From www.evinrude.com , the recommendation is to use modern TCW-3, 2-cycle outboard oil:

Q - What is the fuel/oil mix for my motor?
A - The following is generally true: 1958 and prior used 20:1, 1959 thru 1963 used 24:1, 1964 and newer use 50:1. High performance usage (racing) requires a ratio of 25:1. New engine break-in (not DI) requires 25:1.

You can use car motor oil in an emergency, but it must be must be straight 30 weight, non-detergent motor oil. That can be harder to find than the outboard stuff.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know there's a lot of discussions on these boards regarding proper fuel to oil mixture, so I'm just going to add my two cents.

I, too, have a 1959 Evinrude 35hp, and I spoke to quite a few people about this subject and came to the conclusion that by using a TCW-3, 2-cycle outboard synthetic blend oil, that for me, a 50:1 ratio would be fine. I was told that the 24:1 originally suggested was based on using straight 30 weight.

Others may disagree, and I'm sure they will weigh in here shortly :)

Post some pics as soon as you get a chance.

JTB

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I know there's a lot of discussions on these boards regarding proper fuel to oil mixture, so I'm just going to add my two cents.

I, too, have a 1959 Evinrude 35hp, and I spoke to quite a few people about this subject and came to the conclusion that by using a TCW-3, 2-cycle outboard synthetic blend oil, that for me, a 50:1 ratio would be fine. I was told that the 24:1 originally suggested was based on using straight 30 weight.

Others may disagree, and I'm sure they will weigh in here shortly :)

Post some pics as soon as you get a chance.

JTB

No maker, OMC or BRP, has ever even suggested 50:1 mix for your 1959 Evinrude. That is done only by people who didn't make the engines and don't need to stand behind their product.

The 24:1 mix was recommended by OMC and is recommended by BRP based on using TC-W oil only and that is what you should be using.

Your engine will run on a 50:1 mix, but the risk of damage to your engine is greatly increased.

pdcauseway

Cadet

sorry it took so long, fired her up today w 24/1 ,is it normal for some oil on the surface of the water on a drum test.never seen this done before.thanks

Lars7

Cadet

I to am now a bit confused.....as I am in the process of re-wiring the motor....I will soon be igniting it in a barrel.

I to was told via the local marine shop that using TCW-3 outboard oil the mix should be 50:1 and this will be just fine.
Now seeing this thread Im back to wondering again....................:eek:

Ya I to have an Evinrude Lark 1959 35hp.......

JB

Only 1964 and later OMC/BRP engines should use 50:1. Any earlier JohnnyRude should use more oil because of the bearing surfaces vs. "frictionless" (ball or needle) bearings. 1959 JohnnyRudes use 24:1

You can believe whom you choose, but is seems to me rather foolish to ignore what the people who made the engine tell you and believe those who would make big bux repairing the consequences of their bad advice.

Lars7

Cadet

Only 1964 and later OMC/BRP engines should use 50:1. Any earlier JohnnyRude should use more oil because of the bearing surfaces vs. "frictionless" (ball or needle) bearings. 1959 JohnnyRudes use 24:1

You can believe whom you choose, but is seems to me rather foolish to ignore what the people who made the engine tell you and believe those who would make big bux repairing the consequences of their bad advice.

Yes I agree very valid point.......so would going with a mix of the TCW-3 outboard oil at 24:1 be ok......or would you just run straight 30 at 24:1.

kbait

Commander

Throw the 'straight 30' straight into the trash. Use tcw-3. 24/1 will be way plenty. I've always run tcw-3 at 32/1 on the oldies and never had a problem. I've heard of folks going 50/1 on pre '64's, but that could be a 'spensive lesson. Go 24/1 to be positive of not wrecking it. I always have spare motors, so if I ever cook one at 32/1 I won't be stranded for long.. Good luck!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Throw the 'straight 30' straight into the trash. Use tcw-3. 24/1 will be way plenty. I've always run tcw-3 at 32/1 on the oldies and never had a problem. I've heard of folks going 50/1 on pre '64's, but that could be a 'spensive lesson. Go 24/1 to be positive of not wrecking it. I always have spare motors, so if I ever cook one at 32/1 I won't be stranded for long.. Good luck!!

I agree, use TCW-3. that is a no-brainer. The mix ratio issue will be argued and debated till eternity comes, and I generally avoid the arguement. However, I can show you in print that OMC in the past has indeed said that 50-1 is OK. Now Bombardier comes along and says it is not ok. Believe whomever has the opinion that you want to hear.

Lars7

Cadet

I agree, use TCW-3. that is a no-brainer. The mix ratio issue will be argued and debated till eternity comes, and I generally avoid the arguement. However, I can show you in print that OMC in the past has indeed said that 50-1 is OK. Now Bombardier comes along and says it is not ok. Believe whomever has the opinion that you want to hear.

Ok show us in print!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Attachments

• 1973 Johnson Fuel Mix Chart 3.jpg
    1973 Johnson Fuel Mix Chart 3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Can you also print the one where they recommended 100:1, then rescinded it later? :) :)

Well,this is from the 1985 brochure. But I don't have a copy of the service bulletin that recinds it.

Attachments

• 100_1 Fuel Mix 2.jpg
    100_1 Fuel Mix 2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I don't have the parts manual for the '59 E35hp but I do have the one for the '58 J35hp and it has bearings at 3 points on the crank and at both ends of the connecting rod. Thus I would assume that the '59 does also. Thus I would call this engine frictionless.

JB

I don't have the parts manual for the '59 E35hp but I do have the one for the '58 J35hp and it has bearings at 3 points on the crank and at both ends of the connecting rod. Thus I would assume that the '59 does also. Thus I would call this engine frictionless.

Okay. Tell you what, Steve.

Put any bleeping lubricant you want in at any bleeping ratio you want. I am sick to puking with all the bleeping Yabuts when I try to help people make good decisions. :mad:

I didn't say the '59 was not frictionless. I said it called for 24:1 according to OMC and BRP. OMC used the incomplete switch to all frictionless as a reason to blanket all pre-1964 engines as 24:1 engines.

outhere99

Seaman

Here's my oil input... years ago I bought a boat with a '58 or '59 Johnson 'fat fifty'. Like any other outboard I owned (all 1970's+) I mixed the oil 50:1. The boat ran great for most of the summer. Right up to the last trip... the upper bearing siezed, and ruined the crankshaft. I only payed $200 for the boat so I didn't bother with the old engine. I just figured it was old, and tired. I bet it'd still be running if I had used the correct mix, though. The engine was a tank!

Seems like cheap insurance to use more instead of less oil.