Accessories add to value of boat?

Hit It

Seaman
I'm wondering what, if any, value aftermarket accessories add to a boat? I keep running across ads where people have outfitted a 15 year old boat with a wakeboard tower, kick*** stereo system, etc. and expect that it should increase the value of the boat by what they paid for these items. My argument is that even with all of that added stuff, it's still a 15 year old boat underneath and it shouldn't really increase the value that much. Kinda like the famous "you can put lipstick on a pig..." (or is that lipstick on a hockey mom? ;)). I'd be curious to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Accessories add to value of boat?

doesn't add any real value like you said it's still an old boat.

And when they start talking about NADA during negotiations I just tell them to have NADA write them a check for it then and go find another boat.

salty87

Commander

agreed. they're hoping to get back what they paid, boats are bad 'investments'....accessories are worse.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Another agree-
If you want to add something to your boat do it because you want it---
NOT because it will (not) ad value to it :rolleyes:

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The way I figure it. If I am looking for a boat, and you want more $$$ because you put something extra on it, you can keep it.

Besides, if I am selling my boat, I am going to take everything out of it I can. Because it will be going in my next boat.:D

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

The way I figure it. If I am looking for a boat, and you want more $$$ because you put something extra on it, you can keep it.

Besides, if I am selling my boat, I am going to take everything out of it I can. Because it will be going in my next boat.:D

I agree 100% with that comment. One boat I got $500 dollars cheaper because I let the seller keep his $280 fish finder. Dont really know what that guy was thinking.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gadgets and addons don't contribute much to the overall value, but they do of course contribute to the speed with which the boat sells. They affect desireability, they turn heads, and make the boat different from the next guy.

If I ever come in UNDER my yearly mechanical budget on my boat (not bloody likely, but one can dream), I'm going to put a wake tower on it. Will I expect my boat to suddently be worth an extra $1500? No way. But I'll use it, and if/when I sell it, it will set my boat apart from the other ones that are 20 years old.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It all depends on the boat and if it's a necessity or an accessory.

Does adding a stereo on a 5 year old production boat add value to the boat, no.

Does adding a tower or a remote windlass on a 25 year old 31? Bertram add value, yes.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Lipstick on a hockey mom, thats funny!

Agree, my boat is 30 years old but I have a new Motorguide wireless troller, electric anchor, Rockford stereo ect, all that stuff might make it easier to sell but I don't expect it to increase the value much, not that I would ever sell my boat.

I will probably end up buying another hull and transfering all my stuff to the new boat and sell the old one stripped down.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

It depends on the size of the boat. If you're talking about 16' bowriders, the accessories add little value, but not much. If you're talking about a 30'+ cabin cruiser, yes, accessories can add value substantial value.

But you cannot cannot forget that value is in the mind of the buyer. I once sold a 15' jet boat to a young man who just loved the stereo. To this day, I don't think he would have paid me what I was asking without that stereo. He could probably see himself and his girl speeding along with the stereo playing, and he had to have it. Did it add value?

I think so.

SeanT

There's exceptions to every rule. Your example is an outlier in my opinion.

When speaking in general, I would still say that accessories serve only to set your boat apart from others.

You said it yourself "I don't think he would have paid me what I was asking without that stereo". Were you asking less without the stereo?

boat1010

My opinion is that it depends what you add. It is just like a car. some things that you add will increase the value a little but it will never raise it as much as it cost you to put it on. Some people will decide to buy your boat because of something you have put on it so they don't have to do it. But again you will never recoup the value of the add on. But then I would never put something on it just to sell it. If I put it on it was because it was something I wanted when I had the boat. And when I get a new one I will put stuff on it that probably isn't on it now. And will raise the value of the boat a little (Maybe).

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I think some of us are not specifing adding value or easier to sell -
For instance a nice sound system will most likely make a boat easier to sell but will not make much difference in what the buyer is willing to pay :rolleyes:
Did that make any sense at all :confused: :p

SeanT

I think some of us are not specifing adding value or easier to sell -
For instance a nice sound system will most likely make a boat easier to sell but will not make much difference in what the buyer is willing to pay :rolleyes:
Did that make any sense at all :confused: :p
That makes perfect sense, and you're right.

So, I contend that ding dongs and whistlegadgets make a boat easier to sell. They don't add to the overall value. Note that I'm avoiding the use of terms like "necessarily", "most", or "maybe" so that I can't dance along the line.

Revovations and restoring are a completely different story than accessories and addons though - different game altogether.

SeanT

And I might add, present company excluded of course, but the prescence of a massive sound system in a boat makes me wonder what might NOT have been recieving proper care while all that wiring was being run. :D

oshkoshboating

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good call!

$2k on a stereo system - I spent fiddy-bucks on a Wal-mart system.
Radio? Yes
CD Player? Yes
Aux jack for Ipod/whatever? Yes

Have I used it yet? Nope - too busy enjoying the sounds of my boat, the water, and whatever else I hear when I park it. But that is just me....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

As we have seen around here, there are some inexperienced boaters who see the sound system and not the motor. They are the same types who buy a car for the number of drink holders. They often have to be towed.

A serious boater will appreciate serious equipment, and will know the cost to rig a boat. (one reason not to by new). A good anchor/chain/line may be more valuable (cost more to buy one) than a stereo. He also knows that electronics don't hold value, but still cost a lot to buy in the first place. For example: your $1,000 GPS with chip, antenna and transponder isn't worth that much at the pawn shop, but if it works and the buyer doesn't need to buy one for a season or two, he may prefer your boat over the next one on craig's list. I think that's what's meant by not adding value but helping it sell-a little counterintuitive but doesn't a good wash and wax do the same thing? Are deals made or lost over a full or empty tank? 80 gallons of gas is worth more than a generic stereo that's been around the salt water a while.

The guy I bought a boat from this spring left me his hand-held VHF--I even suggested he keep it. I quickly bought a mounted one, and I already have 3 hand-helds. Got a cover I'll never use, too. But it made me happier about the sale. In some respect it added value but didn't affect the price.

Another boat I bought this summer just for the motor; I sold the hull and trailer, but first stripped out all the toys, including a spare prop, an $80 VHF antenna for another boat, a fish finder for an old boat, anchor and PFD's for the next boat--it was a rolling yard sale! But it didn't affect my decision; I was buying the motor. But it wasn't a typical sale and I'm not the typical buyer.

I think recreational boat sales are a lot like house sales--there's a tremendous emotional (illogical) component that wouldn't add up in a different commodity.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's a lot to be said for the "Wow" factor. The guy who bought my 25-foot boat knew what to look for mechanically, but his wife was impressed with the overall cleanliness & quality of the new seat vinyl. His teenage son loved the Pioneer stereo, Alpine speakers & Rockford subwoofers. I overheard both the wife and son telling him to buy the boat and knew right then that we had a deal.

OTOH, the 1987 32-footer I just bought has all kinds of add-ons that didn't play at all into the credit union's determination of the financing. In fact, the loan officer told me they always determine their financing only on the base value of the boat because add-ons have a way of failing, becoming obsolete, or disappearing. I agreed. The $800 GPS, for example, was made in 1999. It's obsolete and chart chips are no longer available. They're offered on ebay for $20. The stereo was probably state of the art in 1987, but I got rid of my cassettes a long time ago. But I don't care. Stereos, GPS and other amenities are relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things.