fuel pump??

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
having some drivability problems with an 82 evinrude 115. At low speeds, after a high speed run, the engine will stall out. Sometimes it fires right off again, and others I need to hit the primer. Occasionally, I need to reprime the ball in order for it to take. Also near the end of the day today at the lake, I was having issues with the engine losing power, it would slowly go from running at 55-5800 rpm to 4000 over the course of a few minutes. Once back at the dock, in the no wake area, there were no other problems (other than the propensity to stall when going into gear/changing gears, but the engine did not seem to be losing power (all cylinders seem to be firing). This makes me think that the fuel pump may be crapping out on me, or is there a possibility that it just cannot handle the suction of having the water separator (fairly clear, not waterlogged) in place (I could add an electric pump if needed). Is there a way to test the fuel pump, such as quantity delivered in a time frame, or is it just best to rebuild the darn thing. I would also think carbs, but they were rebuilt recently, and all jets are clear. this problem predates that, and the carb rebuild, resynch did nothing to address the issue.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: fuel pump??

Do you have a manual for your engine? You can test flow on the pump, I am not sure of the specs.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Fuel pump kit is $24, the whole pump is $50, having to pump it again makes me thing there is a fuel flow problem, you could also remove the 2 screws holding it to the block and check the gasket in behind, chances are the pump is getting weak.

ScottinAZ

Do you have a manual for your engine? You can test flow on the pump, I am not sure of the specs.

I checked the manual, and it does say how to "test" the pump, but it does not give specs on what pump output should be. It just states that the flow should be constant, and not peter out with repeated pulses. I was hoping there was a spec, say 2oz in 30 seconds or some such good/bad criteria for testing

ScottinAZ

Fuel pump kit is $24, the whole pump is $50, having to pump it again makes me thing there is a fuel flow problem, you could also remove the 2 screws holding it to the block and check the gasket in behind, chances are the pump is getting weak.

I do have a rebuild kit for the pump already, When I got the boat, the PO, or his representative had worked on it before, as the base gasket had slipped and was partially obscuring the port in the block. After fixing that issue, i was hoping to not have to rebuild the pump..... oh well. I will do so here before the next trip out, it doesnt seem to be much of a challenge to do so.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If you got a re-build kit then there is no harm in using it. Go from there.