Fitting a power trim

ashy

Cadet
Hi,
I bought a Mercury power trim to fit on my outboard that only had a basic lift (not power trim). It worked out just as cheap as buying a new gas assist to tilt the engine as mine had lost its assist.
The problem I have is that I don't know what wires do what. The colours are Green Black and Blue.
Can anybody help?
Many Thanks
Pete

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Fitting a power trim

How about a little more info. There were different designs and models over the years.

ashy

Cadet

Hi,
Thanks for replying so quick.
Unfortunately I have new problems I need your help with.
I connected the wires to a battery to check if it worked and I can hear the motor working but it doesn't sound like its pumping fluid.
The fluid level looks low so I now need to know what type of fluid does it take and do I have to bleed it?
Sorry for the lack of detail but I don't know anything about the power trim other than it's off a mercury (115hp I think) and has three wires, colours I've mentioned. It has three pistons, main one that extends to lift the engine completely and two short ones for the trim.
Forgot to mention that when I tried it I hadn't fitted it to the engine. Does it need the weight of the engine to lower it? It's in the fully up position at the moment. Also do I need to wire it to relays. If so what amp is required?
Cheers
Pete

japayton6

Cadet

fill with power steering fluid or tranny fluid has to be all the way up to fill up

ashy

Cadet

That was a super fast reply.
I editted the post to late.
Does it need to be attached to the engine? and will I need relays? if so what amp?
Many Thanks
Pete
Extremely impressed with the response times quicker than phoning the local dealer :)

ashy

Cadet

Hi again,
Answering some of my own questions now.
It did need weight to operate it. Got a heavy person to push on it as I connected the green wire and it went down and it went up again when I connected the blue wire. It's like a new toy ;).
Also I think it WILL require relays as I burnt my thumb holding the terminal against the battery. Can anyone tell me what amp relays it will need?
Thanks for all the help.
Pete

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Pete, Is that PTT system twin ram, with an external pump mountd in the boat? If so, you should use Merc or aftermarket marine solenoids. Look up some perspective Merc Models on the crowleymarine.com site, and you can see how they were set up, and get some part numbers for the solenoids.

Some of the early PTTs used 5W-30 motor oil. They also must be bled properly to work.

ashy

Cadet

Hi,
The pump is attached to the mount. I was just stupid and thought it would retract under its own weight.
It all works fine. I just need to add a little oil to top it up. Can't see any bleed nipples so I assume it doesn't need bleeding.
The only thing I need to do is mount the engine on the boat. We nearly had it on before but it tipped over, fortunately it landed on my dad who is quite soft and squiggy so there was no damage done to the engine. I'll get the hoist on it to save further mishaps in the morning.
I just need to fit a couple of relays now. Size still unknown?
Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Pete