1974 Phantom Boat W/ 1961 Johnson Super Seahorse 35 Motor

justoljoe

Recruit
I recently bought a 1974 phantom boat with a 1961 johnson super seahorse 35 motor on it, that's what the title says it is. And the console is gone and I can't find any info as the boat was made in Athens, Texas and they went out of buis. some years ago. It has dual cable hookup for the motor, I have a steering wheel but have no clue as how to rig it up. Any help would be appreciated.

justoljoe

Recruit
Re: 1974 Phantom Boat W/ 1961 Johnson Super Seahorse 35 Motor

I must have posted in the wrong category have had no responses.:)

Willyclay

Captain

Joe, welcome to the iboats.com forum. The experts here, which I am not, can help you with any problem. They may be waiting for you to spell out the problems you need help with. Meanwhile, I can help you with the motor a little bit. If it really is a 35HP Johnson, then it is not a 1961 model. Last year for 35's was 1959. If it really is a 1961 Johnson Super Seahorse, then it should be a 40HP motor. The only way to know for sure is to find a quarter-sized aluminum disk on the powerhead and tell us what is on it. Should be something like RD or RDS 21, 22 or 23. After we find out what motor you have, I might be able to help you with a service manual. Good luck!

EDIT: The link below is to the USCG's Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) database which lists three different builders of Phantom Boats, only one in Texas. Some names, addresses and telephone numbers included which may be a source of information about your boat. I was able to find good contacts in the MIC on my 1996 boat eventhough the builder was OOB.

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain

Here's a link to an FAQ in the motor forums describing how to connect an outboard with a cable and pulley/drum steering system. Some pictures included of the device needed on the motor bracket. If this is not the issue you face, let us have some more info, pictures are very helpful. Good luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=200994

mlfm220

Recruit

I recently bought a 1974 phantom boat with a 1961 johnson super seahorse 35 motor on it, that's what the title says it is. And the console is gone and I can't find any info as the boat was made in Athens, Texas and they went out of buis. some years ago. It has dual cable hookup for the motor, I have a steering wheel but have no clue as how to rig it up. Any help would be appreciated.

the owner of phantom boats son jerry tumlinson is still in athens and he can tell you exactly how to fix don't know his # but should be listed. if not his dad is noel

Willyclay

Captain

Thanks for that info. Don't know if Joe got discouraged but he has not posted on this forum since AUG09. You can take his place. Welcome!