1989 Johnson 110 - Intermediate Orifices

Altrev

Recruit
I took both carbs off of my motor to rebuild them, and the dismantling instructions say to remove the cover plugs and intermediate orifices. All four ports, (2 on each carb), appear to be sealed from the outside (looks like lead caps), and are not removable. Is this a factory thing, or has someone snapped them all off? Do I really need to get them out or can I soak the carbs as is? If I have to pull them, should I drill out the cover holes, try to melt the plugs with a little heat, or what? If I pull the "freeze plugs" from the inside and replace them will I be OK? I'm lost:confused:

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 Johnson 110 - Intermediate Orifices

They are either welch plugs or lead shots, I'd soak em in really good carb cleaner , wash them in warm water and blow them out before i'd mess with them. I've done snowblower carbs with and without removing plugs, same result each time.

Altrev

Recruit

I'm truly grateful for the prompt replies. Thanks for the advice. Should I pull and replace the caps on the inside of the float chamber while I'm here? They're both slightly flattened, and I'm not sure what's underneath, but I'd really like to clean everything while the carbs are apart. I've come across a couple of ways to pull them (carefully punch a hole with an awl or drill a small hole and and pry them out), so it doesn't appear to be difficult to do.

Altrev

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you kit has replacements, go ahead and remove them and clean behind them.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

There is nothing but a hole underneath from what I know. I use a punch and drive it through the plug and pry them out.

Altrev

Recruit

Thanks for the help, all. I've pulled them and you're right: two holes, actually. Shouldn't be any problem doing the rest. I'll repost if I have any carb-tuning problems that I can't resolve.

Altrev

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Make sure the holes under the plugs are clear.