Power Steering Pump

tboyz

Recruit
I have a 5.7 liter Mercruiser. The power steering pump has been screeching like the bearing is getting ready to come apart. I started to pull apart the pump to rebuild it. I've read some posts about having to use a special puller to get the pulley off. But there is a hex head set screw holding it on. how do you get that set screw out? is it left handed threads?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Power Steering Pump

I've read some posts about having to use a special puller to get the pulley off. But there is a hex head set screw holding it on.

Never seen a set screw in one before, got a picture? Got a year for the 5.7 Mercruiser, they have only used them for 40 years or so.

tboyz

Recruit

well it may not be a set screw but it is a hex head holding that pulley on

Attachments

• IMG_0798-2.jpg
    IMG_0798-2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Again
Got a year for the 5.7 Mercruiser, they have only used them for 40 years or so.

Not sure what I am looking at there, as far as the pulley goes, got a side picture to see how the pulley is shaped? That is not a set screw, just not sure what to tell you yet.

tboyz

Recruit

Here ya go.

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Not a set screw, but you do need the special tool to pull the pulley off. You will also need one to install the pulley to the new pump.
Standard automotive tools, even Harbor Freight has them for cheap. Rather they stand up to one removal or installation I wouldn't bet on, but some auto parts stores rent them. Might check your area.