Trim/Tilt Gauge only works when the key is off

Miroash

Banned
I have a 1988 Seaswirl with a 1988 120hp Johnson. The Trim/Tilt gauge is pegged in full down position when the ignition key is in the on/run position, if I turn the key off the gauge will read the correct trim/tilt position. FYI, I just purchased the boat so I have no history of previous work done to it. and currently the only gauge that works is the voltmeter (and the trim/tilt when the key is off).

qflex1115

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trim/Tilt Gauge only works when the key is off

when the key is in the off pos. and you trim motor up and down does it give you an accurate reading? if so, i would check key switch and/ or wiring harness. another thing you could check is the trim sender located left side of clamp bracket above trim pump manually press down on the lever with key in the on and off pos. if the sender gets stuck or retracts slowly it will give you a false reading at first then give u a accurate reading by the time the key is switched off...... hope this helps.

Miroash

Banned

when the key is in the off pos. and you trim motor up and down does it give you an accurate reading?

Yes, it works perfectly when the key is off, but pegs full down as soon as I turn the key on. I guess the previous owner must have been messing with the wiring.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, it works perfectly when the key is off, but pegs full down as soon as I turn the key on. I guess the previous owner must have been messing with the wiring.

Check the back of the gauge and make sure it's wired correctly. Should have three (or four) wiring connections labeled

I - Generally a purple wire leading to an ignition wire somewhere. This is often (usually and acceptably) simply daisychained to the "I" (purple wire) terminal of another gauge, but eventually daisychaining on back to the "I" terminal of the tachometer. It is wired this way (purple/ignition) instead of directly to power (red/constant 12V) so that the gauge only comes on when the key is on.

S - this is the sender wire from the T/T sender back at the engine.

G - a (usually) black ground wire directly wired to a grounding terminal under there somewhere. Sometimes people daisychain these to other G terminals on other gauges, but it really should be grounded itself.

The 4th terminal is near the light bulb and is wired to the switch that controls lights - or again, sometimes daisychained to the same terminal at another gauge.