1956 evinrude wont shift

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1956 evinrude 30hp electric start. After working on it and trying to get it to start it seems to be stuck in reverse but the shifter moves freely and actually feels like its trying to shift but nothing happens. The prop moves more freely in the forward shift position and seems to gain a little resistance in neutral and even more in reverse but whenever I try to shift it always stays in the same gear. Hope this makes sense:confused:. When I turn the engine over the prop moves counter clockwise. I just got this darn thing running good so any help with this lower unit is much appreciated,thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 evinrude wont shift

Did you or someone else happen to removed that small philips screw from the skeg of the lower unit? If so, the internal shift lever has dropped away from the shifter crandle/dog assembly.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Did you or someone else happen to removed that small philips screw from the skeg of the lower unit? If so, the internal shift lever has dropped away from the shifter crandle/dog assembly.
'Ditto'
The same thing happened to me after trying to drain the lower unit lube and dummy me unscrewed the screw that holds the shift lever, rather than the screw on the opposite side, and I was like "What the crap? Why wont this thing shift?".....and theres my story on unscrewing the wrong screw...if that makes any sense!

lindy46

Captain

That's probably it - but if not, check under the little shift rod port on the side of the leg and make sure the upper and lower shift rods are properly connected to the coupler.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No I know what screw you are referring to because I read about that happening in another post but I didnt take it out. The only thing I have done to the lower unit is add some gear oil to it. Now I think I did screw that up but I dont know if this would cause my problem. I added gL5 outboard lower unit gear oil and it calls for hypoid gear oil. Would this cause my problem? And I took that cover off the side and the rod is moving up and down.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No I know what screw you are referring to because I read about that happening in another post but I didnt take it out. The only thing I have done to the lower unit is add some gear oil to it. Now I think I did screw that up but I dont know if this would cause my problem. I added gL5 outboard lower unit gear oil and it calls for hypoid gear oil. Would this cause my problem? And I took that cover off the side and the rod is moving up and down.

So, both the upper and lower rods are moving up and down? And no unreasonable slop or lost motion in them? If so, and it isn't shifting, you have mechanical trouble in the lower unit. Can't tell you just what it is without looking, but it certainly isn't your choice of oil.

You did check to be sure it isn't the shear pin, right? Or a loose hub in the propeller?

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me if I can take off the very bottom cover on the lower unit to see whats going on? It has several flat head screws in it and it is the very bottom cover. I thought it was maybe the oil because it was shifting fine until I done added some but its a very old engine and it was probably coincidence. And the shear pin and hub are in good working order.thanks again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me if I can take off the very bottom cover on the lower unit to see whats going on? It has several flat head screws in it and it is the very bottom cover. I thought it was maybe the oil because it was shifting fine until I done added some but its a very old engine and it was probably coincidence. And the shear pin and hub are in good working order.thanks again.

Yes you can access the goodies inside by removing the skeg. But reassembly is easier if you have it upside down (remove the gearcase). That is especially true for the dreaded phillips head screw.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got it off. Bearings are the worst I have ever seen and the bracket came off the dog clutch causing the no shift scenario. The rear bearing had completely froze up and the prop shaft was just spinning inside of it. Hadnt been frozen long enough to make any noticable grooves and I dont have a way to check it so I guess Im going to replace all the bearings and gaskets and hope for the best.thanks for the help!

lindy46

Captain

Got it off. Bearings are the worst I have ever seen and the bracket came off the dog clutch causing the no shift scenario. The rear bearing had completely froze up and the prop shaft was just spinning inside of it. Hadnt been frozen long enough to make any noticable grooves and I dont have a way to check it so I guess Im going to replace all the bearings and gaskets and hope for the best.thanks for the help!

I have a brand new bearing set for that motor - send me a PM if interested.

lindy46

Captain

I have a brand new bearing set for that motor - if interested, send me a PM.