2004 4.3L Volvo Penta wont Start, actually wont do ANYTHING....

Refig

Recruit
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am a total novice, and have very limited skill sets surrounding mechanical repair...

I have a 4.3L Volvo Penta that was running fine on Saturday. In fact it has been running fine all season. After pulling a tuber for a short loop, I turned off the engine and gathered my passenger. I went to start the boat, and nothing. And when I say nothing, I mean nothing. There is no clicking, there is no turning, etc... I checked the battery connection, I checked the connections from the ignition, and everything was visually ok. I took out the battery and replaced it with a fully charged battery, and nothing again. I am a total loss because of my lack of education and ignorance surrounding my engine.

The one thing I can say is that when I go to start the engine, there is a large draw on the battery. I noticed this draw on the battery gauge on the console. I can also hear some humming in the engine compartment, but that is it.

The boat has had the starter replaced last season, and I thought I was in the clear. I have had all service/winterization, etc. done by a certified mechanic. Unfortunately, I don't particularly trust them. I am located in the northern suburbs of Chicagoland.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would immensely appreciate it. Is this something a novice can take on or can someone refer me to a credible mechanic that wont take me to the cleaners?

Thanks in advance. I will do my best to answer any questions.

Re: 2004 4.3L Volvo Penta wont Start, actually wont do ANYTHING....

I would pull the starter and have it checked if you don't know how to jump it on a bench.

futz

Banned

Wiggle the throttle make sure it's in neutral. try to start it and post the result.

Maclin

Admiral

Was running in the water, then stopped in the water, then the starter won't turn the engine over but big drain on the battery?

With no clicking it is probably the starter relay or connections, but pull all the spark plugs out and try again, engine could be hydrolocked.

After that if no go try turning the pullleys while pulling on some of the engine belts to get it to move by hand while the plugs are out.