Compression 100 85 100 bad stator

jugheadchamp

Recruit
I have a 1988 Merc 90 Hp. It left stranded last week on the water. A mechanic said there was no spark and needs a new stator and the compresion was 100 in #1 85 in#2 and 100 in #3 and I needed to rebuild the motor. Can any one tell me if I would be making a bad mistake if I replaced the stator and kept on boating? Thanks for any input you may have.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Compression 100 85 100 bad stator

Ain't much goodie left in that motor. It could seriously trash itself any time now.

my 02
John

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hogwash. Compression meets the 15% criterion. A good decarb would probably bring it even closer.

I would fix the ignition and keep on boating.

I hate it when people give doom predictions on engines with plenty of life left in them.

jugheadchamp

Recruit

The decarb sounds like the ticket, I have never heard of that. I am going to try it. I use my boat at very low rpms, especially when snagging paddlefish last spring, low rpms all day long so decarb won't hurt, and if the motor needs rebuilding I will need the new stator anyway. Thanks.

j_martin

Admiral

Hogwash. Compression meets the 15% criterion. A good decarb would probably bring it even closer.

I would fix the ignition and keep on boating.

I hate it when people give doom predictions on engines with plenty of life left in them.

'cept it shoud be running a bit higher than that, assuming the mechanic has a decent compression gauge and we're not talking mountains.

Decarb is worth a shot. If the rings are sticky, it'll loosen em up.

my 02
John