Leaking hose. Hard to replace, how much might it cost at the shop?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Leaking hose. Hard to replace, how much might it cost at the shop?

Go back up and read what i just wrote, I was probably editting when you wrote yours:)

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Go back up and read what i just wrote, I was probably editting when you wrote yours:)

Nice yeah just saw your old post. Perfect this is what I was looking for I will be back to ask you more questions does it mattter that yours is a alpha drive and mine a merc? so the only thing i need to disconnect is the cable right? BTW your a life saver or should I say money lol. 400-500 bucks sounded alittle high for a 14 dollar part.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

istc

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I looked at the pics you have put above and it looks just like mine, what mercruiser drive do you have, from the pics it looks like mine but do you have a Alpha one, GenII ?? If its a GenII then it is manual #14 on the "Adults only" on the mercruiser, volvo & other Forum, Or do you know your S/N #

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Best bet is to replace ALL the bellows. Do not be surprised if it needs a new shift cable too.
Any decent shop should be able to do it within 4 hours labor.
Complete transom service kit with bellows,gaskets,O-rings and gimbal bearing is usually around 150 bucks.

Well worth it and the drive should be pulled and the bearing inspected and the U-joints greased every year anyway.
Or you can put it off until the u-joints destroy the upper gear housing and transom shield and it will cost a few grand to fix...

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Best bet is to replace ALL the bellows. Do not be surprised if it needs a new shift cable too.
Complete transom service kit with bellows,gaskets,O-rings and gimbal bearing is usually around 150 bucks.

Well worth it and the drive should be pulled and the bearing inspected and the U-joints greased every year anyway.
Or you can put it off until the u-joints destroy the upper gear housing and transom shield and it will cost a few grand to fix...

Yeah does sound good. But first off there is 3 weeks left of boating up here in ny give or take so i want somthing that will be easy and quick and cheap. If I have to replace all that stuff thats 320 in labor and 150 so a totall of $500 that i dont have boat would be done for the year. This way I can fix it quick and in the winter time me an my dad are going over the whole boat tune up and inspecting and replacing stuff. What would you do? Put it away for the season or try and fix it without taking off the *** end? Also how would i know if my cables are bad?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

I looked at the pics you have put above and it looks just like mine, what mercruiser drive do you have, from the pics it looks like mine but do you have a Alpha one, GenII ?? If its a GenII then it is manual #14 on the "Adults only" on the mercruiser, volvo & other Forum, Or do you know your S/N #

Im really not sure how can i find that out? whats a sn #

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

http://larsonboats.com/assets/pdf/archives/1989.pdf

heres the info on my boat but doesnt say what type of out drive it is. Also when you bout the bellow how much did it cost you? Do you just call them to order looks like its 15.00 bucks 5 for shipping and then a 5 dollar processing fee.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

In my opinion you can't get any better advice than this.

Since you obviously want the cheapest repair for a few weeks you should borrow(not buy)a caulk gun with some silicone caulk in it .Then raise the outdrive all the way and apply the caulk.Let sit overnight in the up position and you are good to go.Free!!!!:rolleyes:

nlain

Commander

S/N # stands for serial number. Probably stamped in the Alpha label in the silver line. Your photos look like gen 1 to me,my 1987 Alpha had grease fittings all over like in your photos, my current 2004 gen II has grease fitting for the gimbal brg. Serial number will ID for sure

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

In my opinion you can't get any better advice than this.

Since you obviously want the cheapest repair for a few weeks you should borrow(not buy)a caulk gun with some silicone caulk in it .Then raise the outdrive all the way and apply the caulk.Let sit overnight in the up position and you are good to go.Free!!!!:rolleyes:

yeah i know its great advice but money is a issue and my dad comes back in january from over sea and know alot about this stuff so he can help me then instead of paying for almost all labor now and still not knowing how to do it next time. But will def do that next year.

I tryed the silicone put the engine upright position turned the wheel so I could see the hole put some on my finger and taped it on there. let it sit over night got up the next moring touched it and the whole this came off on my finger in one chunk. It was waterproof silicone but probably almost a year old so i dont know if it would hold because it was old or if it was almost 90 degress that day and 70 at night and touched it the next morning.

What do you guys think silicone can get me through the season if I get the right stuff/ new silicone and let it dry for a couple day? will this hurt the cable if it gets on it? hole is about a half inch long. will it rip the bellow more open a hole when i put the drive down.? sorry for being long but if i put the drive down in the water quick it seals it but want to be able to enjoy the sand bar and not have to worry about the leaking( at the sand bar i need to raise the engine and the hole opens up).

nlain

Commander

Drive down the bellows is compressed together, hole closed, drive up you stretch the bellows and open the hole. Every time you stretch it wants to tear more, if you look real close you may see cracks on the bottom side up in the grooves. If you are going to run it the rest of the season you better anchor in deeper water so you can put the drive down, you only need about 24 inches of water under to boat put the drive all the way down. If you do not already have an automatic bilge pump get one and put it in so it can start pumping water out when it starts to rush in, just a little warning so you can get in quick, start up and head for the hill.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

I tryed the silicone put the engine upright position turned the wheel so I could see the hole put some on my finger and taped it on there. let it sit over night got up the next moring touched it and the whole this came off on my finger in one chunk. It was waterproof silicone but probably almost a year old so i dont know if it would hold because it was old or if it was almost 90 degress that day and 70 at night and touched it the next morning.

What do you guys think silicone can get me through the season if I get the right stuff/ new silicone and let it dry for a couple day? will this hurt the cable if it gets on it? hole is about a half inch long. will it rip the bellow more open a hole when i put the drive down.? sorry for being long but if i put the drive down in the water quick it seals it but want to be able to enjoy the sand bar and not have to worry about the leaking( at the sand bar i need to raise the engine and the hole opens up).

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

My opinion is that the boat should NOT be used until PROPERLY repaired.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

My opinion is that the boat should NOT be used until PROPERLY repaired.

in my opinion i will be waving at you from my boat this weekend while your on shore. lol j/k just looking for help on how to get this fixed cheap not take my boat out the water for the rest of the summer. thanks for the advice tho.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

in my opinion i will be waving at you from my boat this weekend while your on shore.

That may be but in two years when yours is rotted away from water intrusion mine will be just fine and dandy.:p

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Gary and Bart Sr. ARE 100% right as far as pulling your drive and servicing it right!! At the same time I fully understand that you want to fix the shift cable bellows and be back on the water to finish out the season. If you go to.
"Mercruiser,Omc,Volvo & Other I/O &
Inboard Engine & Outdrives" forum and click on the "ADULTS ONLY" and look on the manual #14 (GenII's) Or On Manual #6 (ALPHA ONE) and go to the "Maintenance" section it shows you were your S/N (serial number) is. so you know what drive you have. Dude you really can't silicone or caulk the bellows, IT WON'T WORK!! Worst case scenario, At least at the absolute minimum, Replace the shift cable bellows at least

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

In support of the dealers, they don't pay there mechanics minimum wage. My company charges $85.00 an hour for a technician on equipment that is not under a service contract, and in this area that's a really good price. It's not the cost of the screw, it's the knowledge of which one to turn.

That said, maybe the best thing if your going to keep this boat long term would be to replace all bellows knowing they are of equal age and deterioration and a major split could sink your boat as mentioned earlier.

Just my thought ya'll

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

dont think i will be asinking or rotting any time soon. Just talked to my neighbor and his best friends is a bout mech and will do it for almost free 100 bucks and beer plus the part cant beat that having them all replaced. Networking baby lol :) he will be here friday said it will take a hour and in the water for the weekend:D