My Mariner 60 is tempermental

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Mariner 60 is tempermental

my brother used a dva meter and got readings from it but my motor is a 1994 so you may be correct

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

we must have different books my 5-47 is a wireing diagram for ignition and dosent have that so must be difference in motors years

Pool Guy

Cadet

Here is an update of where I am at. I finally did some testing...

I have been suspecting ignition problems all along. Last night I hooked up the garden hose & earmuffs, took the cover off, and started the motor. I then pulled plug wire #1 off the spark plug (with thick rubber gloves and my fingers crossed for luck). The motor died. I did the same with #2. The motor died again. I did the same with #3 and the motor kept running like it had no clue I just pulled a plug wire off. Ahhhh yes, ignition problem on cylinder #3!

I then temporarily switch plug wires #2 and #3 and repeated the test to see if the problem would move to cylinder #2, pointing to a bad plug wire. Nope, plug wires are fine.

I then re-wired ignition coils #2 and #3, swapping the plug wires and trigger wires to see if the problem would move to cylinder #2, pointing to a bad coil. Nope, coils are fine.

Which brings me full circle back to the switch box. I ordered one from O'Rielly Auto. They were a lot more $$$ than this site, but I will have it tomorrow morning.

Results to follow.

Pool Guy

duck0872

Seaman Apprentice

We definitely have the same problem. I hope the switchbox does the trick.

Pool Guy

Cadet

Happy day!

I replaced my switchbox ($175) and my motor runs like new. Night and day difference. I guess 3 cylinder engines work better when all three cylinders are actually working. Consistently.

Tempermental no more! Now if I could just catch a few fish.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

sweet glad to hear it I just knew that was your problem. congrats man

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Westtexas,Larry,Duck How are you guys comming with yours???

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Just realized I hadn't posted back as promised: The lake run was cancelled by the install of a new E-Tec 115. However, we did tank the Mariner at the shop and with a wheel on it, the bog was gone with the WOT set to 20 deg. I also was able to run the idle screws into 1-1/4 like the were when I first got the engine.

I still had a rattle in the L/U which embarrased the heck out me. Seems I filled the L/U from the fill plug hole and over filled the L/U so there was no room for expansion. I have no idea why I did that. I've always filled L/U's from the drain plug. I must be brain dead. I think I saw a post here about someone having a rubbing noise and the L/U lube level might be the cause.

These little 3 jaw L/U's seem to foam a lot. It was recommend to me that I run a little hypoid gear additive to reduce the foaming. I did but the motors off the boat now so I don't know when I'll ever test it.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

sschefer, been following your saga. So is the E-tech on now? have you Tested it? do you like it? what kinda break in is required,if any?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

sschefer, been following your saga. So is the E-tech on now? have you Tested it? do you like it? what kinda break in is required,if any?
I'm takin it to water tomorrow! Breakin in is zero.. nada.. zilch... I'm putting the pedal to the metal as soon as I pass the first bouy at 7:30am tomorrow morning.

I feel good enough about the Mariner 100 now to go ahead and sell it. I have a post going on about a V-135 Black Max I bought for 600.00. I'll take what I get for the Mariner and dump it into that.. Weisco pistons, boysen reeds, lightweight flywheel, etc. It should be a screamer. It wil go on my winter project boat which I've narrowed down to being a Bass boat. Not sure where it is yet but I'll find one.

duck0872

Seaman Apprentice

My DVA adapter finally came in today so tomorrow I'm gonna throw it on there and see what I can find out. I'm almost positive it's the switchbox, but I'll let you know for sure.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

ok so im convinced without even testing mine...ordered switchbox.

sorry didnt reply sooner, I subscribed to this thread and its not sending me notice of replies like it should. Ill try to remember to update.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Glad to hear you nailed the problem! FYI the E-Tec is awsome... It's amazing to find out what 115hp really feels like.

duck0872

Seaman Apprentice

Well I threw the DVA meter on it today and here's what I got. The stator checked within specs on both the high and low sides. The trigger also had proper voltage. The switchbox tested good and steady on 1 and 2, and on 3 gave a reading that was all over the place as far as voltage. Ordered the new box today so hopefully will get it in this weekend.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

good luck guys hope you are both up and running soon keep us posted.

duck0872

Seaman Apprentice

Put the new switchbox in today and low and behold it ran better at idle, but still won't go over 3000 rpm, and after running it for a bit I pulled #3 plug and it still has no evidence of firing, it's as shiny as the day it was put it. The only thing I can come up with is the coil or plug wire. If that doesn't fix it I'll pretty much be at a dead end. I know the cylinder has fuel, spark, and compression, and yet still refuses to fire. About ready to sink it.

duck0872

Seaman Apprentice

Today I went out and switched out the #3 coil with a known good one, no difference while running when I pulled the plug wire. Switched out plug wires and same result. Switched out spark plugs, same result. No matter what I switch out #3 still is not firing. I know it's getting some voltage. Is it possible the rectifier could be fried and causing this? I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Really Old Guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I feel your pain! I have one of these motors!
Darn thing used to leave with my trolling motor, to get back.
I;m not sure wgat to say about the fir under #3, but
I replaced my switch box and took all of the zip ties they
used on the fuel lines--replaced them with stainless clamps.
Runs fine now,
:)

Pool Guy

Cadet

Duck0872-

What happens when you pull off plug wires, one at a time, at idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.