Where are you getting your plywood?

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where are you getting your plywood?

Cool thanks red!!! My buddy is hell bent on going pressure treated and since hes buying that's what we are doing. I guess we will just leave it in the sun for a week or so.

Another thing I noticed when working on the boat today was the stringer is made of 2x10x12 should we just get a piece of 2x10x12 pressure treated and build the new stringer out of that or use the plywood? Only downside I can think of with plywood is it would have to be made out of a few different pieces and then glued together.

thrillhouse700

I read somewhere that you have to use special fasteners on PT plywood due to the fact the wood is treated with copper azone, so dissimilar metal fasteners may be corroded quickly?

From my architecture days this statement kind of sounds like something I may have heard haha, i know they used to use arsenic in making PT lumber.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Cool thanks red!!! My buddy is hell bent on going pressure treated and since hes buying that's what we are doing. I guess we will just leave it in the sun for a week or so.

Another thing I noticed when working on the boat today was the stringer is made of 2x10x12 should we just get a piece of 2x10x12 pressure treated and build the new stringer out of that or use the plywood? Only downside I can think of with plywood is it would have to be made out of a few different pieces and then glued together.
Maybe I missed it but what kind of boat are your working with? Do you have pics?

2x10 treated would be pretty heavy wood. I'd go with ply. Use two 3/4" pieces to make 1 1/2" thick stringer and stagger the joints. If you want thicker, then add more ply. Check out this link: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309700&page=2

Also, it may take more then a week in the sun to dry treated. It all depends on how much moisture is in the wood when you buy it. If you don't let it dry and plan on glassing it in a boat, you'll be wasting your time as you will be trapping moisture inside the wood if glassed in correctly or you'll have exposed wood if not glassed correctly. Moisture = Rot.

You will know when it's dryed out when it has a brittle click sound if you hit or walk on it as opposed to a thud or soft sound when its wet. Also, when you cut into it, you'll know when it's dry when the sawdust starts to fly.

Note, treated plywood really wants to warp badly so place lots of weights on it to keep it flat.

I read somewhere that you have to use special fasteners on PT plywood due to the fact the wood is treated with copper azone, so dissimilar metal fasteners may be corroded quickly?

From my architecture days this statement kind of sounds like something I may have heard haha, i know they used to use arsenic in making PT lumber.

I'm not an expert with treated but I believe you are correct and yes I believe it has arsenic in it. Once the piece is bedded in, you could remove the fastener and continue with glassing.

Note: Treated plywood here in Dayton runs $29.97 at HD and Lowes just so you can compare prices.

thrillhouse700

holy crap, 29.99 cheapest I can find it here is 44.45....................

And by the way bigred thank you very much for all the info.

cheesegrits

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The main difference in marine and exterior is marine has very limited voids. If you want the best try to find marine that is made out of meranti or okume wood with a rating of BS1088. Ply with this rating has no voids. Much more money but a pleasure to work with. The problem with PT are the additives in it. I don't think they put arsenic in it anymore. I think its some kind of copper compound. If you are working on an aluminum hull do not let it come in contact with the aluminum as it causes very rapid corrosion of the aluminum. Unless the PT is very dry don't bother trying to coat it with epoxy or polyester it will peel off just when you don't want it to. Regular exterior ply and marine both have waterproof glue in between the layers, but the exterior has too many voids for my use on a boat. I want any repair to outlast me.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

there are different types of marine plywood , at different prices . most of the usa stuff is fir but i belive in the east they get other types if you realy get into the marine stuff , you might find a particular type of marine grade you would like. also call around and find a place that has alot of it cause ive gone through 30 sheets finding one aceptable and marine grade has the plys at 45 degree angles rather than 90 . make sure it has the 1088 stamp though . also it will check ,look for the right sheets and least amount of footballs on the surface . get grade a-a if you can least footballs